buying new motorbike and selling it later

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
How fast things are going in DR ? Let's say I will buy new Yamaha Musashi bike for around 40,000 pesos....What price i should expect to get (while selling it later) after 4-6 months of using it and mileage around 15 K Kilometeres ? (around 9000 miles) Thx....

How long does it take to sell it ? I am limited to individual sale or maybe i could sell it later to some used-bikes shop etc. ?

thx

How fast things are going in DR ? Let's say I will buy new Yamaha Musashi bike for around 40,000 pesos....What price i should expect to get (while selling it later) after 4-6 months of using it and mileage around 15 K Kilometeres ? (around 9000 miles) Thx....

How long does it take to sell it ? I am limited to individual sale or maybe i could sell it later to some used-bikes shop etc. ?

thx

You are not making much sense

You can sell it quickly if the price is low.

?????

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
yes i know that I can sell it quickly if I will offer unbeatable price...don't want to sell it too low though....what drop of price should i expect from the new one ? let's say i bought new one for 40,000 pesos, it's japanese yamaha, after 6 months of using (and 15,000 km of mileage) i want to sell it (within 1-2 weeks max). what price should I expect to sell it on these conditions (within 2 weeks) ? 20 % less ? 30 % ? 35 % ?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
yes i know that I can sell it quickly if I will offer unbeatable price...don't want to sell it too low though....what drop of price should i expect from the new one ? let's say i bought new one for 40,000 pesos, it's japanese yamaha, after 6 months of using (and 15,000 km of mileage) i want to sell it (within 1-2 weeks max). what price should I expect to sell it on these conditions (within 2 weeks) ? 20 % less ? 30 % ? 35 % ?
Why not add to the sales contract some kind of buyback language at a pre-agreed depreciation??

OR

Buy it with 10-20% down, make the payments until you leave and then give it back to the finance company?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
As in any vehicle purchase you probably loose the most money on the resale value the first year that you own it. If you are going to own the bike for less than 9 months look into buying an inexpensive used one or even better see if a rental company will give you a fair rate . This way there is no tax on the purchase, no registration, no insurance and no worry about re-sale at later date.

LTSteve

Madmick

Dec 14, 2010
I bought a bike with your description off a guy who was leaving the country. I paid 550bucks for it. It runs good and looks like new. His friend got 500 because it wasn't in such good shape. They were both 150cc.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Can you be more specific? What model of Yamaha is this? what cc? What year is it? Yamaha does not sell a new bike on this island for anything less than $115,000 pesos--and that's a Yamaha 125cc.

Unless you're talking about a 50cc Yamaha scooter--which i wasn't aware they even sold one here?

I'm curious what kind of Yamaha motorcycle you're talking about, and especially what year, and what model?

Thanks, frank

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
Hey. I'm also not sure if guys from shop talk exactly about Yamaha, to be honest. The exhaust has "Yamaha" name, the mirrors too (ha ha), but don't recall if there is any name on engine...The second name that appears on this bike is "Musashi"....when I asked guys at shop if this is really Yamaha, they told me that Musashi is coproducer or reseller...sth like that..When I googled it later I see that Musashi is indeed japanese company, that mostly produces shafts and gears....i didn't saw any other names on this bike haha...only Musashi and Yamaha...
and answering your question what kind of bike is this - it looks exactly like Honda Wave (popular in Asia) clone, but it has around 110 cc (not 125) if I remember corectly...so it has 4 gears, but no clutch and it is like hybrid between motorbike and scooter....
Can you be more specific? What model of Yamaha is this? what cc? What year is it? Yamaha does not sell a new bike on this island for anything less than $115,000 pesos--and that's a Yamaha 125cc.

Unless you're talking about a 50cc Yamaha scooter--which i wasn't aware they even sold one here?

I'm curious what kind of Yamaha motorcycle you're talking about, and especially what year, and what model?

Thanks, frank

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
the problem with those used ones, and especially used by Dominicans is they often require to put money to put in, even in first weeks...so later you will spend almost the same like for new one and will waste your time on repairs...unless you have good source/seller of course....
there are many honda cubs for sale for around 25,000, but they usually have like 15 years, and mileage around 50,000 KMs ..haha...I know that these bikes are death-proof and resistant, but like this ? bike 90 cc that has 15 years is like car that has 30 years, in my opinion...on the other hand, there are many mercedes cars that were build in 80's and they still run.....
there are also chinese ones, but when I see how Dominicans modificed them, I'm pretty sure something will broke very soon...so it's not worth money that much IMO.
Hi:
As in any vehicle purchase you probably loose the most money on the resale value the first year that you own it. If you are going to own the bike for less than 9 months look into buying an inexpensive used one or even better see if a rental company will give you a fair rate . This way there is no tax on the purchase, no registration, no insurance and no worry about re-sale at later date.

LTSteve

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
first option is not possible in that shop...second option sounds interesting to me...how much % should I pay for it when I will use it for like 6 months ? how many installments are ? is it possible to do to tourist on tourist card ? thx
Why not add to the sales contract some kind of buyback language at a pre-agreed depreciation??

OR

Buy it with 10-20% down, make the payments until you leave and then give it back to the finance company?

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
what kind of bikes and for how much ? remember i would like to use it for around 4-5 months, so not sure if renting is good option in such case... where is this guy located ? PM me with details if you want
I know a guy who rents out bikes. I am mentioning this from 2 angles. Maybe rent instead of buying and/or sell what you buy to a rental guy when you leave.
Der Fish

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I have a Honda Super Cub 90 that I don't use very much anymore, I would be willing to figure out something with you, like a deposit and then I'd give you the deposit back minus whatever we decided a rate for 4-6 months would be to use it. lmk