Coral Highway Tolls

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Just would like to find out why there is a lack of balance in the assignment of tolls for the Coral Highway from La Romana to Higuey to Punta Cana. The reason PJT asks this is the distance of the road from La Romana to the Higuey ramp is about 20 miles @ 50 Pesos toll while the distance from the Higuey ramp to the Punta Cana rotary is about 22 miles @ 100 Pesos toll. This tariff is no problem for traffic traveling from La Romana to Punta as the combined toll is 150 Pesos. However, when traffic from the end point locations are transiting to Higuey only, the toll favors La Romana. It is inconsistent the Punta Cana - Higuey section pays a higher toll than the other section. It penalizes the Higuey - Punta Cana traffic. It only tends to reinforce PJT's belief the cost of materials and services to the Punta Cana are jacked up because of a perceived view by government, suppliers, and service agencies the zone is rich and the consumers there can afford the higher rates. It also forces the routine transit of resort employees, services, and goods from Higuey to continue to use the dangerous road through La Otra Banda to get to Punta Cana because the alternate transit is more costly over the highway.

Would just like to know what was said in the boardroom when the tolls were established.

PJT will now get down off his soapbox.

Regards,

PJT

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
"How much can we soak them for?"
That was the conversation in the boardroom.

They had to figure the cut for the gangsters of the administration: 40% for Funglode; 40% for the Party and 20% to do the work.

That's how she rolls!!

Merry Christmas!!

HO HO HO

HB

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The Las Americas to Nagua toll road is about 100kms long (1 hr trip) and cost about 400DRP

The El Catey to LT road is much shorter (20 minutes or so) and costs 450DRP

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
They were originally planning to charge even more, I remember reading at the time. Remains to be seen how much it will be next November, the scheduled completion date for the La Romana bypass.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
There is very often no rhyme or reason for the amount of tolls collected on these new highways. As an example, the new stretch of road from El Catey Airport to Las Terrenas is a wopping RD450.00. This stretch is 27KMs total. The tolls from the beginning of RT. 7, the Santo Domingo/Samana Highway to the last toll both is less than RD400.00. This is for 3 toll booths and around 80KMs. There are agreements with the companies who build the roads. They want a return on the investment asap.

LTSteve

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
They were originally planning to charge even more, I remember reading at the time. Remains to be seen how much it will be next November, the scheduled completion date for the La Romana bypass.

Even worse, the thought was to charge for whole peninsula if I recall.... note the position of the booth.

HUGE strike/protest at the time to stop it

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Regardless of whether or not I agree with the amount of the tolls, the sign when you go from Higuey to Punta Cana says 50 pesos (or at least that's what it said last week) and that's what I paid...

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Regardless of whether or not I agree with the amount of the tolls, the sign when you go from Higuey to Punta Cana says 50 pesos (or at least that's what it said last week) and that's what I paid...

The charge one-way Punta Cana to the Higuey ramp is RD$ 100. The price one-way La Romana to the Higuey ramp is RD$ 50
These are the rates PJT paid on Monday.

In all fairness the rate should be RD$ 75 for each section because each is close in distance. But as HB describes it may be a matter of the decision makers "soaking" the Punta Cana - Higuey travelers.

Regards,

PJT