learning to fly?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
today i was watching the best, cutest and smartest tv presenters ever - james may:

[video=youtube;a9tElz3yqCI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9tElz3yqCI[/video]

and that got me longing for something i always thought as unobtainable and unimaginable: flying a plane.
so just out of curiosity: are there any flying schools in DR? for civilians?

i know there are several posters here who can fly (lucky sods) and even own an airplane. tell me guys, how did you do it? when? where? why? how much?

the first time ever i was a passenger on a flight was, actually, not that long ago, about 10 years. in my childhood (communism, remember) i thought no one could afford plane tickets save for the richest people in the world. it baffled me that there was so much air traffic! then i could not imagine it was possible for a normal person to learn how to fly a plane (let alone own one).

but now it seems... it seems like something even i could learn to do! or not?

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Dorota,
The short answer is yes there are.
One advertises constantly on the radio 91FM (La Novent-y-Uno) in the morning hours, they run courses for pilots, flight engineers, air traffic controllers, despatchers etc., The costs are about 7K US for the pilot and can be paid over a long term credit scheme. Classes I believe are in SD, Punta Cana, Santiago and elsewhere. I don't remember the exact details or name of the school but I'll listen out and post. You can listen too.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
oy! :)
i think maybe in the air there is less things i can hit, right? one, basically, being earth. and that's not exactly "in the air", right? so, in other words, nothing there i can hit. voila!
should be easy, right?

i can dream on. 7k dollars is not a huge amount of money but still, that's the money i do not have right now :(

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Do you have 500 a month?

If so, put it away, and by next Christmas, you'll be able to give yourself one heckuva gift. I imagine the training will take more than two months, so there's the additional money.

7k is less than half what you would pay here in Atlanta.

May 5, 2007
today i was watching the best, cutest and smartest tv presenters ever - james may:

[video=youtube;a9tElz3yqCI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9tElz3yqCI[/video]

and that got me longing for something i always thought as unobtainable and unimaginable: flying a plane.
so just out of curiosity: are there any flying schools in DR? for civilians?

i know there are several posters here who can fly (lucky sods) and even own an airplane. tell me guys, how did you do it? when? where? why? how much?

the first time ever i was a passenger on a flight was, actually, not that long ago, about 10 years. in my childhood (communism, remember) i thought no one could afford plane tickets save for the richest people in the world. it baffled me that there was so much air traffic! then i could not imagine it was possible for a normal person to learn how to fly a plane (let alone own one).

but now it seems... it seems like something even i could learn to do! or not?

I would think Cobra (he used to own a Fixed Base Operation or FBO which generally includes a flight school) or Beeza whom is a licensed Private Pilot in the DR. Now that I recall, I think Cobra used to fly a Cessna 182 from Florida to DR quite regularly

I don't know the current cost in the DR, or the US for that matter, i would think at a "small" (prices do differ by region, probably cheaper at Puerto Plata then Santo domingo)) school in the USA your total cost would be about 8 thousand dollars, includes ground school, aircraft rental and Instructor. The Federal aviation Administration (USA) requires you to have a minimum of 40 hours of training (Most people take 50-60) The US now offers a "Recreation" pilots license for about 2/3 the cost, but limits you to short distances from Airport (If the DR has such a license that may not be an issue on small island) I believe only 1 passenger, low horsepower (190?) and flying only in daylight and clear weather. A regular Private pilots license makes much more sense as it is basically "unlimited" with proper further endorsements (Instruments, commercial, Air Transport, aircraft type etc)

This isn't really much help as I know almost nothing of Dominican civil aviation excepting arrival and departure, but would not be surprised if the DR didn't model their somewhat on the US

Another thought; I think Beeza has a Cessna 172, ideal plane to learn in and you may be able to save some money by renting from him (Hope I didn't put foot in my mouth) You would also be assured of a well maintained and safe aircraft, always a good thing :)

Oh Yeah, most important; it is very easy to fly a light plane, a reasonably competent person should be able to take off, maneuver and land with 20 hours of instruction (Actually much less but rules rules rules), though the requirement of dual instruction may vary. Honestly, it is truly easy to actually fly. the most difficult part new pilots face is learning weather and navigation, but with flight directors, GPS, weather RADAR , IPads etc, it is truly a walk in the park

I hope a few knowledgeable replies are posted here, would be very interested

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
wow, guys, you are amazing! such a depth of knowledge here!

one day i would love to learn how to fly a plane. maybe my motion sickness will be in the way but heck, i do not get sick when i drive a car myself, maybe it works on planes too ;)
so far it is only a dream but who knows what may happen in the future?

i would like for more people to chip in. whoever has a pilot license: was it a civil thing or you learnt in military service? again, why? how? how does it feel? why do you do it? after all a small mistake may cost you a life, more likely than in a car accident.

how different is learning to fly a plane as opposed to operating a helicopter?

as far as difficulty of flying... right now it sounds like something hard to master, but a friend who is a pilot for quatar airlines tells me the electronics do nearly everything for you. we were joking that captain is there only to woo the ladies :)
of course i know it is not true and flying commercial aircrafts takes a lot of skill, not to mention nerves.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I cannot address questions about licensing costs etc., but I can address motion sickness. I have over 100 hours in a Piper Cherokee 140 and a Cessna 182. Worked Aerial Fire Detection for 2 years while in university.

I had previously flown in commercial airliners and always had trouble with my ears, but that is all. Flying in a small plane was obviously much different than a commercial airplane, and I had to take Gravol because I am prone to motion sickness and would get very sick. Gravol made me sleepy which of course interfered with the job. Last ditch effort was a pressure bracelet that I wore on my wrist, and it helped tremendously. The Cessna pilot/owner let me fly about 40 of those hours, which (for me) also helped with the awful motion sickness problem. It was incredible and exhilarating once I got past that. I regret not going for my Private License or at least Recreational.

Spent maybe 10 hours total in a helicopter (same job), and had absolutely no problems with motion sickness.
Try going up in a smaller aircraft for a flight or two. Hopefully the motion sickness doesn’t cause major problems and you can pursue this if you choose. :)

May 5, 2007
one day i would love to learn how to fly a plane. maybe my motion sickness will be in the way but heck, i do not get sick when i drive a car myself, maybe it works on planes too ;)

Funny you say that. I have taken quite few friends up in a single engine plane, people who feared flying and were prone to motion sickness and none of them had a problem. (They were in front right seat) I think being able to see out and fix a point on the horizon (least that is what the Navy teaches) alleviates most motion sickness. Being in the back seat of a small plane, many friends still got sick as they could barely see outside.

One of the other things is knowing what is going to happen, why the engine suddenly changes noise, why you suddenly roll right or left, why the attitude suddenly changes. Knowing these things are going to happen instead of just hearing a "clunk" as the landing gear comes up as on a commercial jet helps

And truly, flying a single engine plane is truly easy, I believe the actual flying part truly is easier than driving as there is less to hit, less to do once you are flying straight and level, Takeoffs I guarantee I would have you do the first time you got in the plane, by yourself (except maybe rudder control) It is so simple, aim the foolish thing down the runway, push the throttle all the way in, when airspeed climbs to (depending on plane, probably around 60 knots) gently pull back and front wheel will lift then in about 10 seconds you will have enough speed the plane will be flying. Set the throttle to climb at around 90 knots and hold gently to wheel, you are flying!!!!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I would think Cobra (he used to own a Fixed Base Operation or FBO which generally includes a flight school) or Beeza whom is a licensed Private Pilot in the DR. Now that I recall, I think Cobra used to fly a Cessna 182 from Florida to DR quite regularly

I don't know the current cost in the DR, or the US for that matter, i would think at a "small" (prices do differ by region, probably cheaper at Puerto Plata then Santo domingo)) school in the USA your total cost would be about 8 thousand dollars, includes ground school, aircraft rental and Instructor. The Federal aviation Administration (USA) requires you to have a minimum of 40 hours of training (Most people take 50-60) The US now offers a "Recreation" pilots license for about 2/3 the cost, but limits you to short distances from Airport (If the DR has such a license that may not be an issue on small island) I believe only 1 passenger, low horsepower (190?) and flying only in daylight and clear weather. A regular Private pilots license makes much more sense as it is basically "unlimited" with proper further endorsements (Instruments, commercial, Air Transport, aircraft type etc)

This isn't really much help as I know almost nothing of Dominican civil aviation excepting arrival and departure, but would not be surprised if the DR didn't model their somewhat on the US

Another thought; I think Beeza has a Cessna 172, ideal plane to learn in and you may be able to save some money by renting from him (Hope I didn't put foot in my mouth) You would also be assured of a well maintained and safe aircraft, always a good thing :)

Oh Yeah, most important; it is very easy to fly a light plane, a reasonably competent person should be able to take off, maneuver and land with 20 hours of instruction (Actually much less but rules rules rules), though the requirement of dual instruction may vary. Honestly, it is truly easy to actually fly. the most difficult part new pilots face is learning weather and navigation, but with flight directors, GPS, weather RADAR , IPads etc, it is truly a walk in the park

I hope a few knowledgeable replies are posted here, would be very interested
You pretty much nailed it.

I owned an FBO (think marina for corporate aircraft) and FAA Part 141 Flight Training Center (think flying college with structured, monitored curriculum vs. the Old CFI dude) for several years, including a contract with the USAF for Primary & Instrument training.

ID has a bunch of ratings to fly kerosine. I have Commercial/Instrument/Multi with around 1500hrs. My medical expired in '07. I keep thinking about renewal and a proficiency/bi-annual.

There is a real Flight School at STI, upstairs in the GA terminal. Nice folks, and speak English.

It's rare for a pilot to get motion sickness because he generally is looking at the horizon all the time, except in IMC. Motion sickness has a mental component.

Flying is easy. It's take-off, landing, communications, navigation and rule knowledge that takes developed skill.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
DV8.
Disregard almost anything that's been posted and contact Beeza or me by pm.
I'll get you flying the next day and you'll love it.
R

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i wrote to beeza already :) sometimes in the new year (hopefully soon) i am going to hold the sick bag to my mouth and fly above my minions! :) ;)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in regards to the motion sickness let me just say that i do not know anyone who suffers more than myslef. i get sick in all forms of enclosed transport: planes, cars, buses, trains. in my one attempt on diving i got sick without even being on a boat, just floating on the surface made me green. during haiti earthquake i nearly lost my breakfast and had to sit down for a while before my stomach settled down.
i also cannot play computer games that require complicated movement: those futuristic shooting games with aliens jumping on you from the ceiling and the player "looking" in all direction? puke. i cannot see videos with too much movement, cannot even watch people spinning around, let alone do a pirouette myself.
when miesposo parks the car backwards i have to get out first. i do not park backwards myself, i do not even drive back except the few meters it takes me to back up the car out of the driveway.

i know it is all about the inner ear thingy, yes. and yes, i have the poorest balance you'd ever see. cannot skate or ski and i only learnt how to ride a bike when i was about 12.

what else...? let me think... cannot do bouncy castles or trampolines. no swings of any kind. and i am sure i am missing other things here... :)