Just a word of caution

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Yesterday we took the mountain road to Santiago. It is in very bad shape! We usually use this road at least once a month so I know that there are bad spots and pot holes. I realize that it's from all of the rain. I'm just letting folks know that it is in very bad condition. I would avoid it and take the longer route through Puerto Plata. The road is washed out in many places. Sorry if this is a repeat post.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Yesterday we took the mountain road to Santiago. It is in very bad shape! We usually use this road at least once a month so I know that there are bad spots and pot holes. I realize that it's from all of the rain. I'm just letting folks know that it is in very bad condition. I would avoid it and take the longer route through Puerto Plata. The road is washed out in many places. Sorry if this is a repeat post.

Another mountain route that is in good shape is the Sabaneta - Moca road. It has been fixed up, and only one spot that has a few potholes. That is if a person still wants to go through the mountains and have a scenic drive.

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
Another mountain route that is in good shape is the Sabaneta - Moca road. It has been fixed up, and only one spot that has a few potholes. That is if a person still wants to go through the mountains and have a scenic drive.

I agree. I fly into Santiago now when I come back and drive this at night to Rio San Juan without any issues. I use this route that takes me from, and to, the airport the back way. A friend showed me and I find it much easier than my previous route. I was happy to see them fix the mountain road up before the election.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
I live in Sosua; do you know if the Sabaneta-Moca road is any faster than the Puerta Plata road? I love going through the mountains.

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
Sabaneta-Moca is about 20 Min. faster - but 100% more risk - must see

I live in Sosua; do you know if the Sabaneta-Moca road is any faster than the Puerta Plata road? I love going through the mountains.

From Sosua, vial Sabaneta - Moca is about 20 Min. time savings to the Duarte Highway to Sto. Domingo or to Santiago.
However, I guess it is about twice as dangerous.
At night, cows and horses walk the street without proper lights, big potholes, curves, some truck drivers speed more than crazy.

Fantastic scenic drive - must take the route at times

You will pass "La Cumbre", from there you can see down to "El Cibao".
If you pass "La Cumbre, after a few curves comes a good restaurant place with great view. Forgot the name, I think it is "El moulino".

Just make sure you pass Sabaneta (or Moca) before 6.30 p.m., after that it is too dark and safer to go via Puerto Plata.

Gas stations are in Sabaneta and "San Victor" near Moca.

Alexander

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
At night, cows and horses walk the street without proper lights

Never mind the cows and horses without lights - it's time some of the motos got them!;)

Seriously though, the potholes aren't so bad since the pre-election repairs and I have driven it several times in the dark without too many scares. Just take it easy and don't try to keep up with the Dominican death-wish guys.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
El Molino is a great spot to stop and eat. Overlooks both Moca and Santiago from about 2500 ft above sea level. Bring a jacket. It is just around the curve after two other restaurants.

The road is really pretty good, but driving at night is never recommended, but certainly doable.