Dishnetwork problem

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I have two dishnetwork HD receivers in my house here in the DR, on one account, with an address registered in the US because they are not licensed to sell programming outside the US. The programming went out on one of my receivers, and when I called them they did some equipment verification to make sure both receivers are in the same house under one account, which they are.

However, now they are asking for a utility bill with my "US address" which I dont have, since my "US satellite guy" has moved or something. My local satellite guy cannot help me anymore, the US satellite guy was his 'rep' over there. I told them I bought the system from Mrs. so and so (who is listed name and address for the US satellite guy) and that I live in Ft. Lauderdale now, and that my house is in my company name (I do have an office there and was stalling them) and that I cannot produce a utility bill in my name, but I can in my company name. They told me on the phone it needs to be in my name.

I have taken over my the dishnetwork account online (the satellite guys had it before), put it in my name, but I think they (dishnetwork) are unto me, that the receivers are outside the US. Does anybody have any advice?

I was going to change the address online and send them a utility bill from my office in Ft. Lauderdale with a letter from my company saying that I have this system there and use the utilties there. Not sure if they will accept this.

I guess they are clamping down on receivers outside the US, I dont know why, this will just hurt themselves. Maybe they are getting legal pressure from Dominican programming providers to cut off foreign accounts. Or maybe my satellite guy's American rep did something fishy or they got in a fight with each other.

Any advice would be appreciated, I am probably not the only one with this problem.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you want to continue with DISH, it sounds like you will need to cancel the current subscriptions and find someone who is doing the same thing that your original contact did for you.

Going with a private server is valid alternative given your location.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Conchman (and beeza), what satellites were you getting on DISH? Just 110 and 119 or were you also getting 72.7?

The reason I ask is that most HD channels are now on 72.7 and that satellite probably requires a larger dish than the 2 meter dishes that work for 110 and 119. (Satellite 129 is also used for HD channels in the US, but there is virtually no chance of getting 129 in the DR).

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Conchman (and beeza), what satellites were you getting on DISH? Just 110 and 119 or were you also getting 72.7?

The reason I ask is that most HD channels are now on 72.7 and that satellite probably requires a larger dish than the 2 meter dishes that work for 110 and 119. (Satellite 129 is also used for HD channels in the US, but there is virtually no chance of getting 129 in the DR).

I get 110, 119, and 72.7 with two six foot dishes. Reception is not my problem, the idiots at Dishnetwork are my problem. Should I just 'sell' the receivers to my company in Ft. Lauderdale? Then i have my own address, use the company credit card, and give them company utility bills all in the same name?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I have one six foot dish on my roof. One LNB is at 119 and the other is on a stick aimed at 110. Not bad signal reception. It has to be raining pretty hard to loose the picture.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I get 110, 119, and 72.7 with two six foot dishes. Reception is not my problem, the idiots at Dishnetwork are my problem. Should I just 'sell' the receivers to my company in Ft. Lauderdale? Then i have my own address, use the company credit card, and give them company utility bills all in the same name?

That might work,but you will only know if you try it.

Good to know that a 6 foot dish can get 72.7.

Feb 7, 2007
Check this out. DISH Network FLEX TV - No Contract | No SSN | No Lease | Best Deal on the Web! - PrePaid FLEXTV
You may need Dish Flex HD package. It's prepaid, and fewer questions asked than on post-paid account. Also no credit checks. You may just want to cancel the contract, if possible (and no cancel charges due) and "sell" the equipment to Jose Juan Ferreira or whomever, and because no SSN is required they will hook up account under his name. It will be prepaid, but you will still get the service. When you call them, make sure you use a VOIp provider that shows USA number, such as callcentric.com for example.

Last edited:

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
yeah i just got a skype phone number based in Florida, I am thinking of 'moving' there to get rid of the address of the US satellite guy (whom i have no contact with, since this was done by my local satellite guy) who may have been flagged for stacking receivers. My only problem is the utility bills they are asking for, but I can get a letter from my buddy saying that we share an apartment and use his address in Miami, and use his utility bill. If that does not work i would cancel the account alltogether, 'sell' the system and start another account with a friend's address in Florida. What a pain in the butt!

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Check this out. DISH Network FLEX TV - No Contract | No SSN | No Lease | Best Deal on the Web! - PrePaid FLEXTV
You may need Dish Flex HD package. It's prepaid, and fewer questions asked than on post-paid account. Also no credit checks. You may just want to cancel the contract, if possible (and no cancel charges due) and "sell" the equipment to Jose Juan Ferreira or whomever, and because no SSN is required they will hook up account under his name. It will be prepaid, but you will still get the service. When you call them, make sure you use a VOIp provider that shows USA number, such as callcentric.com for example.

I wonder how much more the prepaid service is (prepaid services are usually more per month compared to a running account), but right now my receivers are flagged so changing the programming and billing wont solve my problem, they want proof that I live in the US and that the receivers are at that address. Right now I pay with a US credit card so I think I'm fine there.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
The bite doesn't seem to be the programming, but the equipment. An HD unit with DVR is ~$650.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
The bite doesn't seem to be the programming, but the equipment. An HD unit with DVR is ~$650.

Are you suggesting buying new equipment to solve this problem? I might end up in the same boat if I don't solve the root of the problem, which is that I am being audited by dishnetwork due to my receivers being registered with a guy I dont know in the US, and having the receivers not at that address. They are investigating whether I have multiple receivers on one account but at different locations or whether the receivers are outside the US, which is contrary to the rules.

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
You can get a FTA receiver with the IKS module installed starting at $200. And you won't have to pay a monthly fee, nor have to deal with Dish about anything.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
No, I'm saying that the difference between the contract and prepaid plans is that with prepaid, it looks like you have to buy the receiver at full price.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No, I'm saying that the difference between the contract and prepaid plans is that with prepaid, it looks like you have to buy the receiver at full price.

DISH Network FLEX TV - No Contract | No SSN | No Lease | Best Deal on the Web! - PrePaid FLEXTV

They call it FlexTV and this one shows a $149 deal for 2 rooms.

[h=3]DISH NOW Prepaid is now FLEX TV![/h]
No credit? Low credit? No SSN? No problem! DISH Network provides the best TV entertainment for everyone.​
Introducing FLEX TV. You too can enjoy DISH Network and all it has to offer! With FLEX TV, you can subscribe to all of the popular DISH Network packages including local channels, regional sports networks, international programming, and adult programming!
No Contract. No Credit Card. No SSN/ITIN Required.​
You own the equipment. Turn the service on and off with no contract termination penalty! It's great for RV's, Boats, Trucks and Summer Homes. Programming starts at $22.99 a month! Since FLEX TV is similar to pre-paid cellular, there are No Late Fees!
Get NATIONWIDE installation along with a two-room DVR for only $148!
FLEX TV Promotion:​

THREE Months of BLOCKBUSTER @HOME FREE**
HD FREE FOR LIFE ***
Second Room is FREE with a Dual-tuner (2-Room) Receiver
FREE Standard Equipment Warranty for 12 months!
It's Easy like 1-2-3

<tbody>
</tbody>

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
DISH Network FLEX TV - No Contract | No SSN | No Lease | Best Deal on the Web! - PrePaid FLEXTV

They call it FlexTV and this one shows a $149 deal for 2 rooms.

DISH NOW Prepaid is now FLEX TV!

No credit? Low credit? No SSN? No problem! DISH Network provides the best TV entertainment for everyone.​
Introducing FLEX TV. You too can enjoy DISH Network and all it has to offer! With FLEX TV, you can subscribe to all of the popular DISH Network packages including local channels, regional sports networks, international programming, and adult programming!
No Contract. No Credit Card. No SSN/ITIN Required.​
You own the equipment. Turn the service on and off with no contract termination penalty! It's great for RV's, Boats, Trucks and Summer Homes. Programming starts at $22.99 a month! Since FLEX TV is similar to pre-paid cellular, there are No Late Fees!
Get NATIONWIDE installation along with a two-room DVR for only $148!
FLEX TV Promotion:​

THREE Months of BLOCKBUSTER @HOME FREE**
HD FREE FOR LIFE ***
Second Room is FREE with a Dual-tuner (2-Room) Receiver
FREE Standard Equipment Warranty for 12 months!
It's Easy like 1-2-3

<tbody>
</tbody>

See the part I highlighted; the website lists the costs to acquire the hardware (again, ~$650 for HD DVR receiver).