Watt did you Say?

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
Happy Hollydays!

I have read so many postings here about generators, inverters etc.

How hard would it be to use 1163 KWH of Luz? We have a pool, two regular fridges, a chest deep freeze and 5 outside security lights. I have a regular laptop but all our bulbs in the house are energy saving ones.

I am a bit shocked at the amount of KWH. I consistently read however that EdenNorte really sticks it to everyone. But considering that the electricity in our Circuit is on about 10 hours or so a day...I am perplexed.

May 29, 2006
With three coolers and a pump, that doesn't sound too crazy. Pool pump is prob about half that. 720 hours a month means your average would be a bit less than 1500w per hour. 5 lights would be about 500w per hr unless they're low wattage. Maybe switch to motion sensor lights or low wattage bulbs?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Also keep in mind if you have battery and inverter systems about 30% of the energy you take from the batteries is "wasted" in the charging and discharging process when you use that battery/inverter system. So that also adds a significant amount to your energy bill for the 14 hours a day you don't have energy from the utility.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Happy Hollydays!

I have read so many postings here about generators, inverters etc.

How hard would it be to use 1163 KWH of Luz? We have a pool, two regular fridges, a chest deep freeze and 5 outside security lights. I have a regular laptop but all our bulbs in the house are energy saving ones.

I am a bit shocked at the amount of KWH. I consistently read however that EdenNorte really sticks it to everyone. But considering that the electricity in our Circuit is on about 10 hours or so a day...I am perplexed.

So you are running your place off of batteries for 14 hours a day? How many batteries? Are both fridges and freezer on battery that sucks them down? If not, then they will suck up Edenorte Kwh's to cool down again. An almost no win situation... see below.

And don't forget about all the other stuff that is/might be used. Microwave, coffee maker, toaster, hair dryer, cable TV box and TV, clocks, etc. Some of this stuff is ALWAYS using power even though you are not using it.

Balancing your Edenorte, battery, generator and power consumption is almost an art.

Also keep in mind if you have battery and inverter systems about 30% of the energy you take from the batteries is "wasted" in the charging and discharging process when you use that battery/inverter system. So that also adds a significant amount to your energy bill for the 14 hours a day you don't have energy from the utility.

This would explain your bill. I'm surprised that it is not higher. I was told that for ever amp you take out of your battery, it takes 1.5 amps to replace so I'm in line with Windeguy.

Good luck.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'd check to see if someone is "borrowing" your power.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Anything that runs a motor can really suck down the power. Two fridges, a freezer and a pool pump can certainly use a lot of power.

Each should have a power consumption label somewhere so you can do some calculations.

And if you lose power and use the inverter a lot, as was posted before, recharging is a very inefficient use of power, much higher than just those other items alone.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I have a large pool, large fridge, electric stove, large screen tv, lots of outside lights, and run airconditioning an average of 10 hours per day in one large room. I pay RD$13 per KW for 24hr power and my bill is about RD$7,500 per month.

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Thanks. Good to know. I am reading posts and exploring Solar Options but have more of a commercial application to consider...I looked at the reading this morning when there was not street Luz...and the wheel was still turning...no surprise.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Thanks. Good to know. I am reading posts and exploring Solar Options but have more of a commercial application to consider...I looked at the reading this morning when there was not street Luz...and the wheel was still turning...no surprise.

No power and the meter still racks up kwh's or worse... it does double and triple time when the power comes back on. Been there and STOPPED doing that. I'm in Playa Chiquita, just outside of Sosua. Feel free to PM me to come by, talk, see and share. I guess that you have read some of the thread: http://www.dr1.com/forums/environment/125977-changed-solar-wow.html

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011