decent mexican food in santiago?

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
craving some mexican food today, can anyone recommend some halfway decent mexican in santiago please?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Never been there but never heard anything bad either, and it has been in business for over 5 years.

On Calle 13 off of Metropolitana, across the street from Bon. 13 is a very small street...It has a name but I do not know it.
La Epoca is on the corner of 11, Bon is between 11 and 15 and across the entrance to 13 Street. It is up on your left.

Try it and tell us about it.

HB

Dec 26, 2011
Make your own. It's not hard.

Even tuna escabeche tacos are awesome with plenty of fresh cilantro and onions.

Take 2 cans of tuna and saute them with olive oil and jalape?os en escabeche(with some nice chunks of carrot- Goya has it in cans). Season with kosher salt, oregano, cumin.

Put the tuna escabeche on doubled corn tortillas(heated in the microwave in a damp towel or paper towel). Garnish generously with cilantro and chopped onions. Put a little sour cream on there too if you can find some.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
This is going to sound bad but I got fed up with going to a restraint and ordring tacos and the like and getting well sht . I now just go to taco bell .

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Ended up going to Puerto Madero based on a bunch of recommendations, was decent I guess for DR standards.. As far as there being no authentic mexican on the island.. go to Los Charros in Cofresi, best mexican food in the DR and 90% of the US (california excluded).. when I lived in Cabarete it was a weekly staple, everything imported including all types of peppers, jamaica leaves, queso cotija, etc etc.. I will continue on my search for good food in the Santiago area, so far been a tough deed.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Ok I here you and I do make my owne . And I also have been to Mexico city 12 years ago when I was just starting in the bizz to help open a restraint. I was introduced to the real deal love those little streat tacos with all the hot sauce. At that time I was also introduced to Latinas pink taco. But that is not what the op wanted he wanted a restraint in Santiago that had Mexico food now he could hire me and I well hook him up or try a little place on the third flore of the Colieanis mall. Would not recamend the place by the momument where thy ware cowboy hats taco bell is batter then them sad but true .

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
uuuh mexican food is great most anywhere in usa.they moved all over the usa and opened up shop. you can even get good mexican food in the northern states now. Many mexicans were smart and move away from the big city competitiion. Mexicans places out number McDonalds here. They became very succesful in the smaller towns and even have multiple locations. But that is there not Santiago. i have eaten ate several in Santiago that i thought was good. just can't remember the names

Dec 26, 2011
uuuh mexican food is great most anywhere in usa.they moved all over the usa and opened up shop. you can even get good mexican food in the northern states now. Many mexicans were smart and move away from the big city competitiion. Mexicans places out number McDonalds here. They became very succesful in the smaller towns and even have multiple locations. But that is there not Santiago. i have eaten ate several in Santiago that i thought was good. just can't remember the names

Exactly. We have great authentic Mexican here in Pennsylvania.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Ended up going to Puerto Madero based on a bunch of recommendations, was decent I guess for DR standards.. As far as there being no authentic mexican on the island.. go to Los Charros in Cofresi, best mexican food in the DR and 90% of the US (california excluded).. when I lived in Cabarete it was a weekly staple, everything imported including all types of peppers, jamaica leaves, queso cotija, etc etc.. I will continue on my search for good food in the Santiago area, so far been a tough deed.

The place HB referenced in Los Jardines was as close as anything I've seen here in Santiago. As the owner was trained by a Mexican chef it wasn't too bad honestly.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Pink Taco", I like learning new euphamisms!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I'm hungry for 2 or 3 right now, cum to think about it!
To Dominican "MEXICAN RESTAURANTS",espagetti sauce" is "Salsa", and whipped milk is Sour Cream"!!!
And portions a TINY!
They $UCK!

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
i went to a motorcycle benefit in baytown texas..they were selling 50 cent tacos
jajajajajajaa chopped up bologna,silantro and a flour taco.. that was it jjajajajajaj i ate 4

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You mean you missed "Taco Bell's" 18th. aniversary "Special" last week???
Tacos for 18 pesos!!!!
And "Helados Bon's" 40 something aniversary "Special too??????
Pints of pre packed "Helado", only 100 pesos!!!
I'm getting "Fatter" just thinking about them!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC