Dominican Charities

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
DR1ers, I need some help finding 2-3 really outstanding, productive, preferably private charitable organizations in the DR, especially aimed at children issues, health organizations and organizations teaching economic self-sufficiency.

The locations aren't as important as the mission and results.

How about y'all telling me about your favorite ones, especially ones that deliver high amount of services delivered for donations, and with minimal bureaucratic overhead!

I'm all ears!

TIA...

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
DR1ers, I need some help finding 2-3 really outstanding, productive, preferably private charitable organizations in the DR, especially aimed at children issues, health organizations and organizations teaching economic self-sufficiency.

The locations aren't as important as the mission and results.

How about y'all telling me about your favorite ones, especially ones that deliver high amount of services delivered for donations, and with minimal bureaucratic overhead!

I'm all ears!

TIA...

I don't have to tell you what my wife, self and others are working very hard at doing. A long haul situation that .... needs work.

I'd be honored to show you around and introduce you to those that do much more then me.

No need to respond here. PM as you wish. Thanks and good luck.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
You can check out a webpage called harvestconnections.org This is a group of North Coast missionaries and what their different ministries do. There are many more that are not on the page. Pm me if you are interested.

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
Do a Google search of "La Casa Rosada Orphanage" in Los Minas. It is run by nuns and they take in children with HIV who have been abandoned by their families. Casa Rosada will accept used clothes, groceries, and basic medicines. Just knock on the door and ask for the Mother Superior. I have been there several times and always leave feeling better for the experience.

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
just be careful. there are many bogus charities here that really like foreiners. Even Fake orphanages and schools. Not saying anything bad about ones mentioned here at all , but their are so many bogus ones. make sure they are legit

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The Catholic Churches "Caritas" no doubt is the largest charity organization on the island.

There is also Hogar Emmanuel Orphanage for disabled children in Puerto Plata/Sosua. They will be adding capacity in 2013.

I also know a Pastor who has an orphange in Ouanaminthe.

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
i also tend to support established churches. they usually do not have the millions of dollars in payrolls the non-profits have.. running a legitimate non profit is a very profitable business. In Texas law says only 8% of money coming in to a charity has to be spent on the recipients.

nsgirl

Nov 4, 2008
You should check out Project Esperanza at Project Esperanza | HOME
I`ve been volunteering with them now since 2010. I tried a few others first but they weren`t for me. Project Esperanza is based out of Puerto Plata and started out helping Haitian street kids. They have grown over the last 5 years to support two grassroots schools, a boys home, night school for the kids in the boys home, two fair trade art shops, english day camps, soccer teams, a pre-school, hosting medical teams and much, much more. Check it out and feel free to pm me if you would like more info!

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I am sure you know about the Orphanage that Ringo, HB, SantiagoRD (?), etc.. are involved with. Many of us got involved in project "Miami". I am sure there are many charities here but this one seemed special.. Seems as there is not alot of "bureaucratic overhead" to speak..just everyday people trying to do their part...Ringo and his wife were ever so kind to play "mules" to bring back donations..I would say this is as grass roots as you can get...

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
I am sure you know about the Orphanage that Ringo, HB, SantiagoRD (?), etc.. are involved with. Many of us got involved in project "Miami". I am sure there are many charities here but this one seemed special.. Seems as there is not alot of "bureaucratic overhead" to speak..just everyday people trying to do their part...Ringo and his wife were ever so kind to play "mules" to bring back donations..I would say this is as grass roots as you can get...
yes these are the kind you can support. some dominican charities sell off the donations and keep the money,,,sort of like haiti jjajajajaja

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Thanks for the info.

I'm making my list and checking it twice...

Gonna find out who's worthy or not...

:classic:

May 20, 2012
You can have total accountability

It's also easy to find any number of families that are desperately poor and just help them directly.

We do various things throughout the year. But we do not do cash; we buy and donate needed items to be sure it goes where intended. So when rebuilding a house, we oversaw the project and paid for the materials directly; the labor was their own or family/friends helping. Zero overhead or fraud or waste.

Boxes of food with the extra rice/oil from USA shipped through a mudanza are very well received and needed. And it really makes money go farther when you buy items so expensive here at USA wholesale or on sale. And used shoes are so needed. No import duties on those items. There are probably other things that are worth shipping, too. It's a lot of work, but it's a nice kind of tired in the end.

For Christmas this year we gave a live pig to prepare puerco asado (for Nochebuena) to an extended family in La Cienega near Cabarete.

But there is no tax deduction......

Thanks for the info.

I'm making my list and checking it twice...

Gonna find out who's worthy or not...

:classic: