Healthy Hair Tips

ncarter3500

Dec 23, 2012
I really need help with hair care tips. I moved to Santo Domingo about 5 months ago and I haven't been able to find a hair salon that is really good for my hair. I have really black, really African American hair. I don't think this country is use to this hair type. Everyone here seems to have mix type of hair. My hair is very weak and it breaks very easily. I recently dyed my hair, which is something I never had a problem with in the United States. Here, it made my hair break off really bad. So my question is, want are some tips for taking care of African American hair here in this tropical country? ALSO, does anyone know a really good hair salon for AMERICAN AMERICAN hair in Santo Domingo? (If so please include the location and the pricing).

Muchas gracias. Que tengan un buen Domingo.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
This is odd because I think Dominican are excellent with that. Unless you are natural ?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My Dominican wife has solved that problem.
She goes with the "Buckwheat" hair style.:eek::eek::eek:
Like Eddie Murphy, when he portrayed "Buhwee" on Saturday Night Live many "Moons" ago!
It has the added advantage of scaring "Ladrones" :bandit::bandit::bandit:away from our house! :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:
Cris Colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
I think the word buckwheat is banned in usa. I had a bumper sticker on my car that said..
Buckwheat says life at the beach was o tay and was asked to remove it,

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you had that same bumper sticker here, "En Espanol", you would have to remove it as well!
""Darkies" would think that they had a RIGHT to access all the DR beaches, INCLUDING the "Whites Only", "AI Resort" beaches!!!!
Can't Have Any of THAT!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Go to any salon in the DR and the beautician will perm and style any hair type.Dominicans have
every hair type:fine,curly,wavy and yes,even coarse,kinky hair.Dominicans are used to ALL kinds
of hair type.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
As the other posters said - Dominicans are experts at hair and see all types and kinds in their salons. Many Doms have your hair but you are cursed with a double problem which is kinky and fragile. Adding to the problem is putting in color. You need a Keratin treatment to restore the health and strength to the hair. My wife is in the salon business 22 years, in the DR and now in Houston Texas and although I am by no means any expert a bit has rubbed off on me. You need a good salon in the DR who knows how to do Keratin. The treatment is expensive but when done right it works very well.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I am from African descent and my daughter's hair never looked better than when her babysitter was Dominican. I would drop her in me morning and never knew how I would find her in the evening, lol. But she always looked nice.
I even take my son to a Dominican barbershop.

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
i am bringing a large box of hair salon stuff this week home jajajjjaja to keep the women in family happy..
i think their is a salon on every block

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am not up to date with this PC s**t: what is buckwheat? to me is small delicious grains. no association whatsoever to hair of any sort. nothing buckwheaty about it!

in any case, dominicans seem to be expert on difficult hair. ask for a deep protein treatment, done in better salons. great stuff, especially for the hair recently dyed. it takes a bit longer than normal conditioning and costs more but it is well worth it. i do not recommend baba de caracol. that's the nastiest thing i have even tried: leaves hair very dry and damaged. go to a beauty supply (not a normal shop) and look for AFTER GLOW POST CHEMICAL conditioner. smallish pink bottle. super thing.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
LOL dv8. In the "Old Days" there used to be a show called the Little Rascals/Our Gang, about a bunch of kids and their escapades. One of them was Buckwheat - here's his photo, self-explanatory to this thread:

buckwheat-magnet-c11750430.jpeg

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ah. so something associated with a media character. i thought i was losing my imagination there.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Someone could offer up a good wig store so Nell looks good while her hair is healing!!!!!!!!!!!!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Jumbo, I can't even IMAGINE what wearing a wig in the DR heat would be like. I shudder to think about it. I can't even stand my hair down most days. I live in ponytails and/or a jaw clip.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Jumbo, I can't even IMAGINE what wearing a wig in the DR heat would be like. I shudder to think about it. I can't even stand my hair down most days. I live in ponytails and/or a jaw clip.

At night when it is cooler. The women in muggy Atlanta love their wigs. Also see some nice Haitian girls in Sosua wearing wigs while socializing at night. But being hair challenged i have not worn shoulder length hair since the early 80's.

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
ah. so something associated with a media character. i thought i was losing my imagination there.
Everyone loved buckwheat. these were made in the late20's and early 30's.. most peopledo not remember Farina Buckwheats sister...she had same hair but with bows.. Buckwheat became film editor in Hollywood and died at 49.

Any way back to the subject of hair jajajaja