Foreigners in the DR (According to the Census 2010)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Well, two years (going towards three) after the Census was completed in 2010, data on foreigners has finally been released. HOY newspaper claims that the data is available at the National Statistics website, but I searched and didn't see anything. :rolleyes: Maybe they haven't uploaded all the info yet, I hope!

Anyway, here are some of the findings published in HOY:

• 4.2% of the national population was born outside the DR. That's 395,791 people.
  • 79% of foreigners were born in Haiti (311,969). That's 3.3% of the national population.

What this means is that expats make up less than 1% of the population. This should open a few eyes considering the exaggerated numbers and percentages people were throwing around in the thread that concerned with the new migration rules. Some even believed the DR actually depends on expats, which is understandable for anyone living in expats enclaves to think like that, but it should had been clear that there's more to the country than those places.

The provinces with the largest influx of foreign migrants were Independencia (aka Jiman?; 14.8%), Montecristi (12.1%), and Pedernales (12%). Considering all of them are on the border, we can all guess from where the foreigners are from. The three provinces with the least amount of foreigners were San Crist?bal (1.5%), Monse?or Nouel (aka Bonao; 1.6%), and Hermanas Mirabal (aka Salcedo; 1.6%).

In terms of Haitian migrants, the provinces with the highest percentages were Independencia (aka Jiman?; 14.2%), Montecristi (11.5%), Pedernales (11.4%), Valverde (aka Mao; 9.7%), and El?as Pi?a (9.4%). The provinces with the least presence of Haitians were Monse?or Nouel (aka Bonao; 1.1%), San Crist?bal (1.2%), and Hermanas Mirabal (aka Salcedo; 1.2%).

Keep in mind that the census took place in 2010, the same year of the Haitian earthquake, so naturally the additional migration that has arrived since then was not counted, plus all the people that probably gave false answers in fear of deportation. Also, Haitians born to illegal immigrants, while technically are still Haitians, would not had been counted in the foreign born population and since these guys are not two or three, the Haitian figure can easily double, perhaps even be a little higher than that.

The article itself focuses more on migration patterns within the country, not just international migration. For example, 28% of the population was not born in the province they live in. Altagracia province (aka Hig?ey-Punta Cana) has received the greatest influx of migrants (Dominicans and foreigners) with 44.3% of its population composed by migrants. This is followed by Santo Domingo province (42.7%) and the National District (37.5%).

Even the provinces that received the least migrants, in my opinion have a heavy presence. In San Juan province migrants make up 10.1% of the population, while in Bahoruco its 11% and 11.7% in San Jos? de Ocoa.

La Altagracia, provincia de m?s inmigrantes - Hoy Digital

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Two points:

1) There are only 83,000 non-Haitian foreigners living in the DR. I thought the number would be 3x that. Seriously, expats don't mean squat here in the Big Picture.

2) There are 312,600 Haitians here (not counting those born here.) I thought the number was 3.5x that. I thought the number was in excess of 1,000,000

Either the Haitian problem...and expat economic influence...is grossly exaggerated, or the census number is whacked.

Or both.

Dec 26, 2011
Two points:

1) There are only 83,000 non-Haitian foreigners living in the DR. I thought the number would be 3x that. Seriously, expats don't mean squat here in the Big Picture.

2) There are 312,600 Haitians here (not counting those born here.) I thought the number was 3.5x that. I thought the number was in excess of 1,000,000

Either the Haitian problem...and expat economic influence...is grossly exaggerated, or the census number is whacked.

Or both.

Illegal immigrants are kinda funny about participating in a census- in any country. I think your "one million" guess on the Haitian pop. is about right.

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
Good points all around on an interesting subject. I wonder if the ex pat number would change if the definition of resident were changed? In other words, is someone who spends two months in the DR every year for last five years counted? I wonder if there are many folks who fit that kind of a profile, who might sway the ex pat figures.

Dec 26, 2011
I knew a girl that worked on that census. Let's just say that accuracy, conscientiousness, attention to detail and tenacity aren't her strong points. Getting paid was higher on her priorities. It was fraught with problems from the start. It was postponed because the program didn't have its sh*t together and there were protests from workers because they didn't punctually receive the promised compensation for their meals during training classes.

And then there's the generalized reticence of many, not only Haitians, to answer 60 questions about their living arrangements, income, race, etc.

A pesar de la resistencia de muchas personas a no dejarse encuestar, hay quienes est?n conscientes de la importancia del Censo para obtener el n?mero de personas que habitan la Rep?blica Dominicana y otros datos de inter?s para la planificaci?n y elaboraci?n de pol?ticas econ?micas, sociales, de salud, educaci?n y otras.

Segundo intento del Censo arranca sin dificultades - DiarioLibre.com

There's a quota on how many questionnaires are to be filled out daily by the census takers. Think some fudged them a little to knock off early or to take a nap cuando el sol picaba?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I know a census worker came to our gate and left because of the dogs.

Does anyone believe ~ANYTHING~ that comes from the DR gubmint?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I know a census worker came to our gate and left because of the dogs.

Does anyone believe ~ANYTHING~ that comes from the DR gubmint?

We found a sticker/card near our gate, saying the the census was complete on our house. Interesting, since no one was home.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Well, two years (going towards three) after the Census was completed in 2010, data on foreigners has finally been released. HOY newspaper claims that the data is available at the National Statistics website, but I searched and didn't see anything. :rolleyes: Maybe they haven't uploaded all the info yet, I hope!

Anyway, here are some of the findings published in HOY:

• 4.2% of the national population was born outside the DR. That's 395,791 people.
  • 79% of foreigners were born in Haiti (311,969). That's 3.3% of the national population.

What this means is that expats make up less than 1% of the population. This should open a few eyes considering the exaggerated numbers and percentages people were throwing around in the thread that concerned with the new migration rules. Some even believed the DR actually depends on expats, which is understandable for anyone living in expats enclaves to think like that, but it should had been clear that there's more to the country than those places.

The provinces with the largest influx of foreign migrants were Independencia (aka Jiman?; 14.8%), Montecristi (12.1%), and Pedernales (12%). Considering all of them are on the border, we can all guess from where the foreigners are from. The three provinces with the least amount of foreigners were San Crist?bal (1.5%), Monse?or Nouel (aka Bonao; 1.6%), and Hermanas Mirabal (aka Salcedo; 1.6%).

In terms of Haitian migrants, the provinces with the highest percentages were Independencia (aka Jiman?; 14.2%), Montecristi (11.5%), Pedernales (11.4%), Valverde (aka Mao; 9.7%), and El?as Pi?a (9.4%). The provinces with the least presence of Haitians were Monse?or Nouel (aka Bonao; 1.1%), San Crist?bal (1.2%), and Hermanas Mirabal (aka Salcedo; 1.2%).

Keep in mind that the census took place in 2010, the same year of the Haitian earthquake, so naturally the additional migration that has arrived since then was not counted, plus all the people that probably gave false answers in fear of deportation. Also, Haitians born to illegal immigrants, while technically are still Haitians, would not had been counted in the foreign born population and since these guys are not two or three, the Haitian figure can easily double, perhaps even be a little higher than that.

The article itself focuses more on migration patterns within the country, not just international migration. For example, 28% of the population was not born in the province they live in. Altagracia province (aka Hig?ey-Punta Cana) has received the greatest influx of migrants (Dominicans and foreigners) with 44.3% of its population composed by migrants. This is followed by Santo Domingo province (42.7%) and the National District (37.5%).

Even the provinces that received the least migrants, in my opinion have a heavy presence. In San Juan province migrants make up 10.1% of the population, while in Bahoruco its 11% and 11.7% in San Jos? de Ocoa.

La Altagracia, provincia de m?s inmigrantes - Hoy Digital

I would say that these numbers are just incorrect! I remember how we were "counted"... There is no office in the DR which can keep the record straight!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Ours was clueless, completely missing the point of at least one question:

"Where does your water supply come from" - a question designed to establish what percentage of households have running water - I said we had running water. "No," she said, "the water round here comes from wells."

So now, according to official statistics, at least one household in our middle class residential complex draws its water from a well.

They also put stickers on the doorframes of the unoccupied apartments. They were seen sitting on the stairs filling in the forms themselves.

Dec 26, 2011
They also put stickers on the doorframes of the unoccupied apartments. They were seen sitting on the stairs filling in the forms themselves.

Exactly. Makes for a shorter day. You get paid either way.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Expats

What this means is that expats make up less than 1% of the population. This should open a few eyes considering the exaggerated numbers and percentages people were throwing around in the thread that concerned with the new migration rules. Some even believed the DR actually depends on expats, which is understandable for anyone living in expats enclaves to think like that, but it should had been clear that there's more to the country than those places.)Quote

In regard to the immigration debate.
My opinion has been that the importance of foreigners in the DR has been greatly exaggerated, in the minds of some.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
talked with neighbors after the last "census" and virtually none were interviewed to be counted but there were lots of census stickers pasted on gates and doors.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The only important point I take away from this thread is that the number of immigrants from outside the island is not significant and has little impact on what the government does. I get that loud and clear through the government's actions.

As for the census numbers, I suspect they are very far off from reality.

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
According to one website (see below) Dominicans living outside the DR remitted to their homeland 3.3 billion US Dollars in 2010 and according to this other website (also see below) the DR's GDP in 2011 was 55 billion US Dollars, meaning remittances are about 6% of what GDP is.

What does the average foreigner in the DR spend in the DR annually? If there are 80,000 non-Haitian foreigners living in the DR and each one spends $15,000 US every year that would sum up to about 1.2 billion US Dollars or 2% of what GDP is.

That is a pretty out sized economic footprint for a pretty small slice of the population. But really this isn't surprising, as the non-Haitian foreigners are coming from first world countries where wages are high and moving into the DR where wages are relatively low.

http://siteresources.worldbank.org/INTPROSPECTS/Resources/334934-1199807908806/DominicanRepublic.pdf

https://www.google.com/publicdata/e...n&q=dominican republic gross domestic product

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
My point is that by the numbers, it would seem logical that foreign nationals living in the DR would have a disproportionate economic impact on the country, seeing as these folks come from developed countries with higher wages and wealth. These people are kind of like the 1% in the States. This 1% of the population is probably contributing 1 to 4 billion US dollars to the domestic economy, every year, which would constitute an outsized footprint.

Derfish, I guess what you are saying is that, if the 1% class, i.e. the foreign born non-Haitian nationals, were to leave, the prostitution industry in the DR would dry up?

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
1. Haitian blood lines are all over the Dominican Republic. There are over a million Haitians easily. Keep in mind that Dominicans who are like half or a quarter or even full blooded Haitian lie because they are ashamed or afraid. People with Haitian blood are everywhere int he DR.

2. The foreigners in the DR numbers are hard to monitor. Millions of foreigners come for vacations, school, volunteering, dating, to visit friends and family, marrying, to do business and so forth. Many of them do not get a residence or citizenship. They would no be counted in these numbers. Think of all those people who come every few months for whatever reason.