shopping for flat screen TV

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
where can i buy flat screen TV for a good price and good quality? POP or STI area...
32 - 36 inch.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
where can i buy flat screen TV for a good price and good quality? POP or STI area...
32 - 36 inch.

Try PriceSmart in Santiago, but you will have to forget about the concept of it being a "good price" when buying a flat screen TV in the DR. Many of us would rather import a TV using a door to door shipper from the US.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
Try PriceSmart in Santiago, but you will have to forget about the concept of it being a "good price" when buying a flat screen TV in the DR. Many of us would rather import a TV using a door to door shipper from the US.

Thanks you for your fast reply. Can you recommend a door to door shipper, please. Because if i would import via Business mail the tax and the shipping fee (5 $/pound) will increase the price tremendously.
i heard that these door to door shippers do have better luck tax wise and the the transportation fee is just 60 or 80 dollars...
I am located on the north coast.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Bite The Bullet!!"
Buy it here!
A 32, or 40 inch Flat Screen, will cost about 400 bucks, shipped, "door-2-door".You will have no warranty when it gets here.
Depending on what "Bells & Whistles",'LED VS. LCD", you want,you can get a 32 or 40 incher here from 400, to a thousand, "Smart TV".
"Price Mart" has a big selection, and so do all the Dominican "Big Box" stores.
Don't waste time, energy, with the "Shipper"
Have your TV on the wall "Manana"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
A couple of years ago I would have said ship it but I just was in PriceSmart yesterday and they have some very nice TVs, all good brands for halfway decent prices. You won't get the Anerican price but it wasn't astronomical like it was when I lived here before.

SHALENA

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Buy it here. I had 2 LED tv's shipped from Miami and they were held in customs for 4 weeks. Never again.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
UNLESS you find a friend to transport it over , i believe you should just buy it here . any problem with a shipper or defect u will be out of luck . For smaller items i think outside is better

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
For me, its all arithmetic....

Price it both ways..... here and mainland

Shippers? Montero, Awilda from the NYC area.
Buy atBest Buy or wherever, free shipping option to the mudanza and arrives your dor about 3 weeks later.

There are some issues with RD warranties , or have been in the past.

Its personal choice really.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
thank you all for your suggestions. I was just shocked, when i saw the price for a Sony 42" LED at la Sirena ...almost 1,300 dollars and in the US about 600 dollars for the same one.
hihihiiii maybe i throw a dice to make up my decision ;-)

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
thank you all for your suggestions. I was just shocked, when i saw the price for a Sony 42" LED at la Sirena ...almost 1,300 dollars and in the US about 600 dollars for the same one.
hihihiiii maybe i throw a dice to make up my decision ;-)

Go to electro lama in STI, about the only place I'll buy a TV in the future in the DR. Bought a 50 inch plasma LG 2012 model for 39k RD and a 42 inch same model for 30k RD, the same models in La Sirena were priced 40% higher.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Tiger Direct year end deals

allgrv_02.jpg
allgrv_03.jpg

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
If buying a tv here I would check the model and serial number. We looked at a tv and checked it with the company and the tv was 6 years old.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Morning, A few months ago I did a market survey in Santiago to buy a 42 inch LED and the best buy was at CECOMSA for $RD31,806.00. It was marked &RD34,000 but I half jokingly asked the manager for a discount and they said sure. It has a one year warrantly and it is contiguous to Price Smart so you can do a quick comparison. I would strongly suggest never CORRIPIO or Plaza Llama.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Buy it here, do not ship.

I bought a 46in Sony Bravia from Pricesmart last year. We had a power brown-out caused by a failing transformer on our street which fried everything, including my new TV. Took it back to Pricesmart after it was eleven months old, with the receipt and they fixed it for free. No quibble, just had a wait a couple of weeks while the part arrived.

Can't beat that for customer service in this country!

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
It also might be worth checking out their website for their online store

PriceSmart.com: Ofrecemos miles de art?culos que no encontrar? en su club local PriceSmart

Sometimes there are bargains to be had. I bought a Sony home theatre bluray system. When I compared the online price to the price on Amazon, it was actually cheaper! The price you pay includes shipping and taxes to your nearest pricesmart store. The only thing is you have to wait a little while, up to 30 days for your merchandise.

You can pay with your foreign credit card and you get an email during the various stages of delivery. Once it's in the store, just present your credit card, pricesmart card and cedula/passport and you get your stuff.

The next challenge is trying to stop those heavy handed idiots in the store who want to unpackage your expensive merchandise, plug it in, see if it turns on then stuff it back in the box without the protective packaging, scratching it in the process! One of my pet peeves!

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
i seen a 19 inch flat screen in Walmart for 125 im just going to stuff it in the carry on and pray they don't pull me to the side to check my bag. im just going to act like this is my first time here

Dec 24, 2012
For me, its all arithmetic....

Price it both ways..... here and mainland

Shippers? Montero, Awilda from the NYC area.
Buy atBest Buy or wherever, free shipping option to the mudanza and arrives your dor about 3 weeks later.

There are some issues with RD warranties , or have been in the past.

Its personal choice really.

I never heard of Montero, Awilda. I know a lot of people that use Tenares, them seem more reliable?

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
verified the "more-or-less" tax rule for a flat screen 42" TV is between 9,000 and 11,000 pesos and plus regular shipping with Caripack is about 4,400 pesos. Total about 15,000 pesos just the import fee...hm worth it?!?!
will contact Montero shipping how much they will charge. Thanks to all for ideas and guidance.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
For the future I would strongly recommend you to connect all your valuable electrical equipment to the power supply via a voltage/surge protector.

Buy it here, do not ship.

I bought a 46in Sony Bravia from Pricesmart last year. We had a power brown-out caused by a failing transformer on our street which fried everything, including my new TV. Took it back to Pricesmart after it was eleven months old, with the receipt and they fixed it for free. No quibble, just had a wait a couple of weeks while the part arrived.

Can't beat that for customer service in this country!