looking to buy a German Shepard 6+ months

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
I'm looking for a German Shepard in Santiago to buy. Would prefer a 6-12 month pup but willing to consider a younger one. I've seen the ones they sell on the street by the monument but I don't trust those dogs.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I am sure you will be offered many but may I urge you to consider adopting/ rescuing some sort of abandoned dog who would be eternally grateful to you for giving them a loving home. There are lots of German Shepherd lookalikes amongst those seeking homes.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I agree100%!
Unless there is an overwhelming reason you want a shepard, get a BIG Dominican "Vira Lata"!
That is like a "Hienz" in the USA. (57 Varieties)
They do well here.
They're used to "conditions' here.
I think that they are "Healthier" than pure breeds.
AND, they seem to remember where they came from,where they are, and who they should be thankful to!
All the "Stuff" my wife can't! :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:
CCCCC

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
I am sure you will be offered many but may I urge you to consider adopting/ rescuing some sort of abandoned dog who would be eternally grateful to you for giving them a loving home. There are lots of German Shepherd lookalikes amongst those seeking homes.

Research has led me to wanting a Shepard. Good dog with kids and a natural guard dog.

Dec 26, 2011
Research has led me to wanting a Shepard. Good dog with kids and a natural guard dog.

Do you think Criss Colon would steer you wrong? Ask him how many dogs he's owned in his 30 years or so on the island and if they've been good with kids and good guard dogs. He has experience that you could benefit from.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003

Reading your other threads you might want to change your thinking a little. Large outside dog is easy to poison. I and others have had that nasty experience while outsiders are waiting for the dog to die. I heard the barks, change in the bark and stopped what could have been a very nasty experience.

I know others and have read that a smaller INDOOR dog can be much more of a reliable alarm system. Friends of ours have a Jack Russell ? that not only was the alarm but grabbed an arm through the window grate and would not let go. Very loyal and good with kids.

IF I need to replace one of our 4 medium sized, rescued Dominican dogs... I'd look for a small, feisty, lovable indoor type.

Good luck

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I love "BOTH!!!"
I think it is a poor idea to have only one dog, or cat for that matter.
Dogs are pack animals.
For good mental health, they need their pack.
I usually have 3 or 4 dogs "Outside", when my wife is home, (They become :INSIDE" as she clears the driveway!:laugh::laugh::laugh:and 2 to 3 "Barkmiesters" inside.
The "Little Guys" alert to a hummingbird fart, or some imaginary threat, which wakes up the "Big Boys".
I enjoy watching how the "Pack" works.
They really enjoy having a lot of friends to interact among.
DR doga are really great with kids, but all of ours came as "pups", or were born into our pack.
They were never mistreated, and socialized from day 1!My kids "ride' the big ones!
And they are FREE!
I bought a large German shepard pup abput 10 yeras ago. Pure breed, paid 5,000 pesos.
He was stolen within 2 days.
Buy the guy I bought him from, is my guess!
Pure breeds, especially "GSs" have hip displagia very often, very painful for the dog!
cc

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I love "BOTH!!!"
I think it is a poor idea to have only one dog, or cat for that matter.
Dogs are pack animals.
For good mental health, they need their pack.
I usually have 3 or 4 dogs "Outside", when my wife is home, (They become :INSIDE" as she clears the driveway!:laugh::laugh::laugh:and 2 to 3 "Barkmiesters" inside.
The "Little Guys" alert to a hummingbird fart, or some imaginary threat, which wakes up the "Big Boys".
I enjoy watching how the "Pack" works.
They really enjoy having a lot of friends to interact among.
DR doga are really great with kids, but all of ours came as "pups", or were born into our pack.
They were never mistreated, and socialized from day 1!My kids "ride' the big ones!
And they are FREE!
I bought a large German shepard pup abput 10 yeras ago. Pure breed, paid 5,000 pesos.
He was stolen within 2 days.
Buy the guy I bought him from, is my guess!
Pure breeds, especially "GSs" have hip displagia very often, very painful for the dog!
cc

ROFL. But it appears to be true from what others have told me. Two of our outside dogs ..... can sleep thru anything until a BANG happens. Then they become.... hit the metal gate RUNNING AWAY trying to enter the house as hard as they can... and THAT is what wakes us up.

A high energy... alert.... little yippy indoor alarm system protected from the over the wall/fence poison is a good move. OK... get the bigger dog for outside to help complete the pack. I agree with CC on that too.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
I'm looking for a German Shepard in Santiago to buy. Would prefer a 6-12 month pup but willing to consider a younger one. I've seen the ones they sell on the street by the monument but I don't trust those dogs.

i have 3 German shepherds. Yes they are intensive in care but they are naturals as guard dogs. They protect children absolutely. I lost 2 GS due to HD, even they did not have this obvious lower back. One got almost 16 years old and the other only 12 years (he was huge).
GS are expensive because you need to feed them quality food. They like to be added as a family member :)
If you ask me, if i have a choice i would opt for a GS! The first 2 GS i had, which died, were rescue dogs and were treated so bad before they arrived at my little finca. They turned into amazing good watch dogs!