damage to mountain from rain

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
8306305291_7c1c097339_b.jpg

Las lluvias del Domingo 23 de Diciembre agrandaron el derrumbe en la loma.

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
yes but has gotten worse since last few days. you can't see it clearly in photos. the picture is fr
om our street in pto pta

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
The picture actually looks like where the concrete driveway meets pavement there is a steep drop and the cars are stuck there.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
I know but the concrete meeting pavement gives the illusion. Nothing can be done about mother nature.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Fair enough, I stand corrected! Just repeating information given to me during my first visit by a tour guide!

However, it stands to reason that an aircraft flying in instrument conditions, configuring to do an approach on POP runway 08 would hit this side of the mountain, and not the other side, unless he was planning on doing a very long final straight in on 08.

Here are the approach plates into POP http://aip.idac.gov.do/DATOS/ad/finales/MDPP PROC 17 JAN 08/MDPP_AD_2-35.pdf

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Unless it was on take off, which they do the odd time. I have been to POP and rarely see them take off going west, usually east, but depending on the wind conditions they do take off to the west too.

My wife was telling me that that spot on Mt. Isobella was an airplane crash, and she lived in the area at the time, so about an urban legand, I'll take her word for it.

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
actually it was closer to the cable car further to the west. That was not the plane crash shown in pictures. I have many relatives in Puerto Plata and they all say the site was closer to the cable car. it was not an urban myth, it is fact. I remember it but was living in Virgin Islands then.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we talked about it so many times before! the "scar" is a result of constant earth slides up the mountain.
the plane crashed on the other side of the mountain. bits and pieces are still there.

don't ask dominicans about it. most people in POP still believe in santa claus! they will, of course, say it was the crash. because this is what a primo told them. and a neighbour. and this what they always believed.

here is some older thread on the subject:
Puerto Plata - history of mountain crash

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
we talked about it so many times before! the "scar" is a result of constant earth slides up the mountain.
the plane crashed on the other side of the mountain. bits and pieces are still there.

don't ask dominicans about it. most people in POP still believe in santa claus! they will, of course, say it was the crash. because this is what a primo told them. and a neighbour. and this what they always believed.

here is some older thread on the subject:
Puerto Plata - history of mountain crash

My family is all dominican i have no one else to ask. My wife likes Santa Claus riding a tractor decorations. They do not say the scar was from accident they say it is west like you say.