Updates in overstay penalty fees?

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
Hi there, my parents were charged 35$ each one for being here two months. I thought that being spanish they were able to stay even for 3 months.
Anyway, even if making an overstay of one month, 35$ is high penalty. Last penalty table I got says about 800 pesos, so 20$.
I think they were ripped off.
Anyone has the updated overstay penalty table?
Cheers.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
They should have paid 800 $RD/$20 US, but this is the DR and it is the Holiday Season.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
As usual, corrupted country in every place, every situation ... this way this country will never move forward ...

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
I was told 35USD or RD800 last March at Santiago airport for a red eye early in the morning. Had exact change in pesos. It pays to plan ahead. The OP knows how the DR works and should have had the pesos ready for the parents.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
You are complaining about paying a small fee for overstaying?

Im complaining about that airport guy charged my parents double of what they should have been charged.
Do you like to pay twice every time you get a service, buy something? I dont think so ...
I complain about how this country is ruled, anyway, no solution at all for this ...

dropshort

May 18, 2008
If you know that you will owe some TAX go to desk and pay the tax.
They will give you the paperwork and when you see the immigration officer
(s)he will take the document, stamp you passport and Bob?s your uncle!

That is what I have done and it works PROPERLY EVERY time.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
As I said, I have lot of doubts that Spanish citizens can only be ONE month in DR with tourist card.
Anyway, does not matter if paying in pesos or dollars, that fu..ing guy would have ripped them off with both currencies ...

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The sign clearly says RD800 for overstays of 30 days to 3 months, yes the system is indeed corrupt for trying to charge in USD at a tasa of 23 to 1. Why wouldn't your parents read the sign, and pay the rate in RD Pesos? When you go to McDonalds, I assume you pay the rate on the menu in the local currency? You sound like a smart guy, so I assume your parents can read?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
When we left, I had to pay the fee. The customs agent sent us to a booth, which had a very clearly posted scale. And yes, it was in pesos or dollars. And it was for anyone who was not a Dominican citizen.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
No, he is not! He just wants to pay what the "book" says...

yes, that is what I mean, is that so difficult to get?
Why people dont care about being ripped off because just few bucks? it is the concept, not just for the small money. And by the way, my parents did a BIG EFFORT about money to come here, so those 70$ more made me feel very bad when they explained to me ...

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
When we left, I had to pay the fee. The customs agent sent us to a booth, which had a very clearly posted scale. And yes, it was in pesos or dollars. And it was for anyone who was not a Dominican citizen.

So what was the rate posted in USD if the overstay is RD800, I hate being left hanging AE!
I think the iPad has an app for this.;)

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
The sign clearly says RD800 for overstays of 30 days to 3 months, yes the system is indeed corrupt for trying to charge in USD at a tasa of 23 to 1. Why wouldn't your parents read the sign, and pay the rate in RD Pesos? When you go to McDonalds, I assume you pay the rate on the menu in the local currency? You sound like a smart guy, so I assume your parents can read?

First time my parents do a trip to this kind of country, they had been travelling only around Europe, so they would not even notice about that sign at all.
SHOULD THEY BE RIPPED OFF FOR THAT YOU MEAN?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
So what was the rate posted in USD if the overstay is RD800, I hate being left hanging AE!

Haha, you don't miss much. I know we paid 800 pesos for me - and I know we paid in pesos because the dollar rate was higher, but I don't remember exactly how much. I think it was $25-30, but I can't swear to it.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I NEVER SAID IN ALL CAPS THAT THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN RIPPED OFF!
A. You should have schooled them on the rate.
B. The sign is clearly marked, witnessed by myself, and AE.

Life is not worth having a heart attack over $70, what is your parents' PAYPAL address please?

PS: Thanks for posting this, now the rest of the board knows PAY IN RD PESOS ONLY @ THE AIRPORT.

BTW, ONLY pay in USD @ DU FREE!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don't become a "DR Spin Doctor, Bob, now that "P-chardo" is "Out-Of-The-Office"!
I think you just posted, before thinking through what had happened.
I left in October, 3 months without a valid visa.
They asked for 1,000 pesos, not the 800 listed on their web site.
I gave it, just to avoid an argument.
By "agreeing", either knowingly, or even unknowingly, we encourage even more corruption, at every level of Dominican SOCIETY.
"Over Tipping" is a flawed idea as well.
Happily, it is done mostly by tourists, and "Snow Bird Expats".
It does not do any long term benefit to anyone.
The Dominican who receives the "TIP" feels entitled to large tips, no matter what caliber of sevrice they deliver
The way things should work here, as they do in more civilized countries, is: "Pay the correct amount for the type, and level of service you have received".
Only pay what you owe.
Supposed you went to the Registry of motorvehicles in Canada, the posted fee is 100 Canadian Dollars.
They tell you it's 200 dollars.
Do you pay the 200, and say, "Well It's a small cost, and they need the money, or do you stand up for what is right?
If we all treted the DR, and it's people, like we treat others in our "Home Country", and stopped treating them as just "poor people" who need the money, maybe, just maybe, they might develop a "Work Ethic", not just a "Take Ethic"!!!
"Stick a fork in me, "I'm DONE!!!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Feb 7, 2007
Yes, Xmas season ... bribery or ineptitude or both ... when I left 10 days ago along with my daughter, I left with a residency visa stamped (Migracion in SD said not to pay any overstay penalty) and the Migracion woman in PUJ still wanted to charge overstay fee ... also she was asking "where is the mother" (of my daughter) two or three times even though she had a "Permiso de Viaje para Menores" stamped and sealed by the Migracion in SD (really having that in her hand she should have just shut up and work and not pi$$ travelers off) ... I don't know if she was new or just wanted to be PITA but a call to the supervisor who came over and reviewed both mine and her documentation was all was needed to go on with our journey.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Completely off topic, but talking about iPad apps, believe it or not but Banco Popular developed an excellent iPhone app to do Internet banking. By prejudice I thought it would be probably a crappy app but it's actually done very well.