Orange Contract

cleverlemming

Jul 14, 2012
Hidy Ho

I had a flybox that I used for less than one month near Las Terrenas. It never worked well enough for me to use it for working remotely, so I ended up spending a few hundred dollars on hardware for a much better solution.

I tried taking back the Orange box in Las Terrenas but all of the offices here are franchisees and have very limited powers, meaning whenever I go to them with a problem I end up just sitting for an hour while they wait to speak with someone in customer services, just like I would do.

Now I am getting threatening calls from someone who identifies herself as a lawyer for Orange. My Spanish isn't good enough to tell if she is genuine or one of the scammers I've read about.

I need to go to the Orange offices in Samana to attempt to resolve this. Happy to pay a fine but am not paying the full value of a contract for service I did not receive. My friend, who's more fluent than me, and has tangled horns with Orange before, has volunteered to go along.

Any suggestions? If you know anyone at Orange I should talk to, please PM me.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Hang up when they call.

Correct, and do not go to Orange either. Forget about it like any good Dominican would do. And that is the right move, as you can't win with them, even when you are dead right.

cleverlemming

Jul 14, 2012
Correct, and do not go to Orange either. Forget about it like any good Dominican would do. And that is the right move, as you can't win with them, even when you are dead right.

This is the advice I heard from two people in town.

I think I am dead right.

So, I don't need to worry about being jailed or getting shaken down at the airport?

Thanks!

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
But normally, there's no contract with fly box? I have one and I pay every month until i no more want it...
BTW: "so I ended up spending a few hundred dollars on hardware for a much better solution."
What is that better solution?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I am pretty sure signing up for the flybox you are signing up for 18 month, no less. If you use the accumulated "fidepuntos" close or at the end of that term the contract renews automatically for another 18 month...

I had the flybox myself and we had to wait until the end of the 18 month term to get out of it.

Dec 24, 2012
Courtesy of AlterEgo, flybox is a joke, get the Claro stick instead. That's what I'm going for, the prepaid Claro USB monthly no contract 3GB a month service.

cleverlemming

Jul 14, 2012
"so I ended up spending a few hundred dollars on hardware for a much better solution."
What is that better solution?

I have a mad scientist friend who builds radio towers that beam high speed internet to the places where Claro doesn't go--typically low density wealthy enclaves and resorts that are far from the main road. There's a dish antenna on my roof with cryptic glowing leds that points to a hidden hilltop tower a few files from here. I can have video-conference calls during the day and watch Netflix at night, both of which were impossible from my location with an Orange flybox.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
You need to file complaints with Indotel (against Orange, concerning the service) and keep records. You should have started doing so after the first month of problems and lack of solution by Orange.
Formulario de Reclamaci?n - Indotel

Indotel has power to rescind your contract with Orange based on non-performance of service.