Does the DR produce Vanilla Beans?

May 20, 2012
There is a lot of vanilla extract at great prices......and it should grow well here....

If so, where could I find the beans to buy them?

Caz

May 15, 2004
Yes Weather - I have been looking for vanilla pods or even plants (I know they grow huge) with no success. Love some pods for cooking - vanilla sugar? Mmmmm!!

May 20, 2012
Another reason to track down the actual vanilla bean!

thanks for the warning...

Where, oh where, are the beans? They are wonderful.....extract has never been where it's at!

Be careful of the vanilla in the stores. It can contain coumarin which is toxic to the liver. I always used to wonder why it was so cheap. The real stuff in the US is $15 for 8oz(wholesale) while the same size bottle in the DR is about $1.

Coumarin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Be careful of the vanilla in the stores. It can contain coumarin which is toxic to the liver. I always used to wonder why it was so cheap. The real stuff in the US is $15 for 8oz(wholesale) while the same size bottle in the DR is about $1.

Coumarin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the vanilla sold in the DR bears no resemblance to what i remember vanilla to be. it is flavorless, and i am still trying to figure out why they have given it the name. it kinda reminds me of the thing they sell in bottles labelled "salsa picante". compared to stuff from other caribbean islands, and places like Louisiana, it is just vinegar with some red coloring.

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
I 'm pretty sure there is no vanilla production in DR.
Vanilla beans are produced around Tampico, VeraCruz and Madagascar.
It is a complicated process to get vanilla not adequate for DR.

This is why the DR green pepper is from USA and re imported in can. (Rolland)
This is why chocolate and coffee from DR are re imported from Switzerland.
The process from cocoa to chocolate needs heavy investment and how-know.

I buy my vanilla in Europe (private use) next week from here
If you want take advantage of the shipping just send me a PM

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think that you could grow vanilla orchids here but it is not done for commercial uses. the vanilla extract sold here is fake and artificial, it contains synthetic vanillin, water, ethyl, sugar, citric acid and some flavourings.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i think that you could grow vanilla orchids here but it is not done for commercial uses. the vanilla extract sold here is fake and artificial, it contains synthetic vanillin, water, ethyl, sugar, citric acid and some flavourings.

dv8, you forgot to add that it tastes like crap

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I agree. Domestic vanilla extract sucks.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Just make sure that when you buy vanilla in the DR it says( extracto puro de vainilla)
which is pure vanilla extract. (a slightly thick consistency) and more expensive.
If it does not say it,it's the watery,imitation kind.I buy the pure one always.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Neither vanilla here, dark or clear is very good at all. Everytime I smell some it reminds me of those drinks with umbrellas in them, pina colada..etc... Mother in-law bakes alot and says the only vanilla to use is pure vanilla. Says you would be hard pressed to find a "true" vanilla bean here for use in cooking/baking. Vanilla bean back in the US was pricey.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Neither vanilla here, dark or clear is very good at all. Everytime I smell some it reminds me of those drinks with umbrellas in them, pina colada..etc... Mother in-law bakes alot and says the only vanilla to use is pure vanilla. Says you would be hard pressed to find a "true" vanilla bean here for use in cooking/baking. Vanilla bean back in the US was pricey.

Believe it or not,that's how vanilla is in it's purest form.The one sold in the US has a high alcohol content.

May 29, 2006
Real vanilla is expensive because it's part of an orchid. From what I hear, the best in the world comes from Madagascar. At home I normally use Torani vanilla syrup instead of extract. The best online source I know is Nuts.com and even then it's $17 for 4oz. It's perfectly normal to extract vanilla with alcohol, and ideally it should be done with a bourbon or rum:

Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Extract 8 oz.

$10 for two beans!
Madagascar Vanilla Beans - 2 beans

Some bakers keep special sugar and put vanilla bean into it, which is one way to make a single bean go farther.

Last edited:

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Believe it or not,that's how vanilla is in it's purest form.The one sold in the US has a high alcohol content.

I wanted to buy some vanilla bean a few years ago because a recipe called to scrape the seeds
off the pod.When I went to the supermarket in NJ I saw a small jar with two vanilla bean pods inside.
When i looked at the price I put the jar back on the shelf and bought the extract instead. The
price was $12.00 for two pods no more than 4 inches long,each one.

May 20, 2012
Well, thanks to everyone for their replies. Guess I will have to give up on local vanilla beans. Too bad because they should grow well here and they are a good cash crop.

Truest vanilla flavor comes from splitting and scrapping out the pods. Extract works, but not nearly as wonderful.

The best vanilla ice creams and custards will have tiny black specks if you look closely. Those are the vanilla seeds from a vanilla bean and a sign of good quality ingredients. Well worth the slight amount of extra work. But ya gotta have the beans!
I wanted to buy some vanilla bean a few years ago because a recipe called to scrape the seeds
off the pod.When I went to the supermarket in NJ I saw a small jar with two vanilla bean pods inside.
When i looked at the price I put the jar back on the shelf and bought the extract instead. The
price was $12.00 for two pods no more than 4 inches long,each one.