Publico And Guagua Prices Increased

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
As of December 22, the publico charge from Sosua to POP is RD$50 in the day, an increase of RD$5. Price at night is now RD$60.

I haven't taken the publico o Carabrete since the increase, but am sure it is also increase.

Likewise, I think it save to say that guagua prices have also increased.

I tend to think this is all around the country; can anyone confirm whether publico and guagua prices elsewhere have also increased?

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
The Sosua - Rio San Juan prices are still the same, 25 pesos to Cabarete, 40 to Sabaneta, and 50 to Gasper Hernandez.
There are 2 different Syndico's that are in operation here, Sosua to Puerto Plata, and the other one Sosua to Rio San Juan.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
As of December 22, the publico charge from Sosua to POP is RD$50 in the day, an increase of RD$5. Price at night is now RD$60.

I haven't taken the publico o Carabrete since the increase, but am sure it is also increase.

Likewise, I think it save to say that guagua prices have also increased.

I tend to think this is all around the country; can anyone confirm whether publico and guagua prices elsewhere have also increased?

They do this each Christmas to cover your "Christmas gift" to them, it's normal.
The price "should" go back down after the Holidays.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
They do this each Christmas to cover your "Christmas gift" to them, it's normal.
The price "should" go back down after the Holidays.

I have been riding the publicos from Sosua to Puerto Plata for 12 years. The charge has not gone up every year at Christmas and I don't recall charges once raised ever going down unless forced to lower the price by the government.

Regarding the guagua/publico to Cabarete and beyond, I am very surprised to learn that charge has not increased. Previously unheard of for one group of drivers to raise the price and another in same community doesn't follow suit.

If the increase from Sosua to Puerto Plata sticks, does anyone really believe the charge to Cabarete and beyond will not also increase?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I made a round trip to POP yesterday. In one car the sign was still on the window detailing the new rates to all the locations between Sosua and POP.

Vamos a ver.