Anthony Bourdain Travel Channel Video

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Just enjoyed watching this show, Anthony Bourdain. Now I'm craving all sorts of Dominican food.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MoGcfZBh_o0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The chicharrones literally made my mouth water. I've never been to Villa Mella. We usually buy ours on the Santo Domingo-Bani highway, there are lots of stands on the westbound side towards San Cristobal, I think before you reach Pappaterra. They're delicious, but so rich that I usually end up with a bellyache. :nervous:

There's also a place right in San Cristobal that makes great ones...

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I thought this was a really nice video and I can't wait until I get back to visit Villa Mella and to taste some of the foods that are highlighted. But everytime I see this piece I cannot get over how rude, and arrogantly obnoxious that guy was [those of you who watched this know who I am referring to]. In all the years that I have visited the DR I have never encountered a Dominican like him. He must be a deportee from New York! If I had been producing this, he would have been left on the cutting room floor!

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I thought this was a really nice video and I can't wait until I get back to visit Villa Mella and to taste some of the foods that are highlighted. But everytime I see this piece I cannot get over how rude, and arrogantly obnoxious that guy was [those of you who watched this know who I am referring to]. In all the years that I have visited the DR I have never encountered a Dominican like him. He must be a deportee from New York! If I had been producing this, he would have been left on the cutting room floor!

I could not get over how disrespectful he was!

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Wonderful Video, now I am home sick again...

Let me go to the kitchen to make some tostones and salami!

JJ

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Again. Probably the worst portrail of the DR.
Refer to people in the DR1 community. Their photos and captions show the love and beauty of the the country; and why we live there or come back.
The only reality shows that we get to expereince are God given. Sight, Feel and Smell. That's why I love the Campo!!! Total Reality!!!

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
Dude wasen't rude he told the truth ,why did it take him to do a show on DR he has been to other countries two or more times and where is the weird food guy at.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Dude wasen't rude he told the truth ,why did it take him to do a show on DR he has been to other countries two or more times and where is the weird food guy at.

That dude was a total D**K and if I was in London I would call him a "sausage" That guy made Dominicans look really bad, many of my friends love his show and thought his trip to DR was "rock bottom"

BTW If I was Tony I would have punch that dude in the jaw and told him " don't let me catch your ass in New York"

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004

I'm confused at what 'truth' Dude was tellin', bigwhiskey. And even more, what Bourdain's having been to other coutries has to do with Dude's rudeness. I am assuming that Bourdain was making an attempt to profile Dominican culture and cuisine. Dominicans who I know aren't rude or obnoxious. And I sincerely hope, that people who have not been to the DR, and who do not know know Dominicans for the hospitable and loving people they truly are, will not get the impression from that outrageous performance that Domincans are like Dude!

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I'll confess.............I don't know who people are referring to when they are referencing "the dude".....
I watched the video.........Didn't notice anyone being particularily rude.
I've never been a huge fan of Anthony Bourdain but he definitely brings something to the table. I noticed that Cnn is bringing him in starting soon. Could be a winner.
One thing I did notice.............He wasn't too thrilled with the grilled langosta.
I happen to agree with him on that one.
Cold water, fresh, steamed served up with garlic butter, (if the doctor allows) is the way to go.....(imo)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I don't like this episode. Lets hope they will no be re-running this too often on international television.

There were many misrepresentations and some critical foods were not even mentioned.

I understand it's a show with a very specific audience, but look how nice the one on Naples, Italy came out:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vbfRlKESDWg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Is something like that too much to ask?

Seems to me the Italian show was much more tactfully done.

Anyway, thanks AlterEgo for sharing the video.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yes, it could have been made better.

He could have gone to some higher class neighborhoods. I think he nailed the one segment of the population though. Unfortunately, anyone who's not familiar with the country wouldn't know it's not representative of all the populace.

The breakfast in a bag with tostones and fried salami... what about some nice mangu with fried onions and eggs?