Canadian thinking of relocating to the DR!

Matsumoto2307

Dec 28, 2012
Hello,

I'm a canadian and am thinking of relocating to the DR.
Any advice?

I'm concerned of my llittle 3 year olds education - and of our ability to adjust to such a drastic life change.

I'm glad I found this forum....

Looks like I will be able to get to have the answers to my questions.

RayO

Mar 25, 2012
We are Canadians too & thought we would relocate also. Don't do anything too quickly. You really need to move down for at least a couple of months before you make any decisions. Many things are changing down there. We've decided to be snowbirds. Heading back down next weekend for 3 months.

Jo

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
Yes, your Canadian Countryman gave you the best advise possible. Come to the DR on vacation. Check out various parts of the country. Do you speak any Spanish or French. A second language will be very important for a total immersion. I live in Las Terrenas on the Samana Peninsula and we have a large European population here, 3000+ French, 1000 Italian, many German, Swiss and also Canadian, British along with Dominicans and Haitians. Spanish, Italian and French is widely spoken here. Many of the stores and restaurants are owned by French ex-pats. It is difficult when you throw children into the mix. There are International schools in many parts of the country. It is a big and expensive step. It will cost you about $2000 to apply for and get your temporary residency. This is now mandatory if you are an ex-pat who plans on living in the DR. Do your homework, study the culture and the country. It is a big step to give up your North American roots.

LTSteve

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
I live their because my family lives here..but i work in USA to support them. Due to the resources canada and or usa has i think they would do better in school where you are now. Vacation here would be the way to go IMO.. I live in Puerto Plata with no foreign population any where close.

JimmTwo

May 18, 2008
Think about it long and hard if the locals; want to get out of Dodge. think twice. But the Locals I have met meen me no harm and help when they can......but every thing has a price right. your choice.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Fully agree with the previous posters. Go for a short while (maybe over the summer so there's no issues with school), and try it out. It's very different than anywhere in NA.

And if 2000CAD is still the same as 2000USD, then that number will very likely be too low, once you figure in tuition at a solid international school.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Depending on what kind of lifestyle you want here, which will include, where, what kind of housing, schooling, medical ins.vehicle you want/need it coulds EASILY be 4,000 a month!
Better to think about having 4,000 a month available and not need it all, than to have 2,000 available, and need a lot MORE!
Been here 17 years, a wife, 4 kids, Parents -in-Law, and am way over 4,000 US!!!
How do you plan to support your family here????????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

benetlyne

Feb 2, 2003
Good day to all

Im divorced french Canadian and i'm planning to move soon to DR. Im planning to buy a Condo...
1- Where would be the Best place?
2- What's the price range?
3- How much should i forecast for monthly expense in DR?

Thank's to all

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
If you have $4000 a month why not stay where you are? Is my thought.

Well, I do not know what part of Canada this guy is from but where I live there is 8 freaking feet of snow and it is currently minus 18 C. I want OUT!!!
If I have 4K a month coming in, and do not need to be in Canada to make it, I am on the next flight to the DR and not coming back until June :) .
I will likely never reside in the DR on a permanent basis. Being a snow bird is my goal.