Recommend a muebles store or a furniture carpenter in Higuey?

maria2

Dec 28, 2012
Can anyone recommend a good muebles store in Higuey?

Or a competent and honest furniture carpenter in the Higuey / Punta Cana / Bavaro area?

I live and work in Punta Cana for the past three years, and I recently moved into a new home and I am in furniture buying mode for the past several months, looking for just the right pieces, of good quality.

I just cannot take any more of Ilumel Punta Cana's "customer service" (CS). As another poster earlier said, "CS -- to Dominican store clerks -- means to be completely indifferent and apathetic to customers, and if you feel any obligation to display any emotion at all to a customer, then merely give the customer a disinterested glance, and act like YOU are doing the customer a favor to LET them purchase anything from you."

I laughed at that definition of Dominican CS, as if it were a joke, until I realized that it pretty accurately summarized what I received from the Ilumel sales staff this year. And then it wasn't so funny anymore.

They smile when I enter the store, but it's a cold, insincere smile (like a catatonic Wal-Mart greeter near the end of their exhausting 8-hour work shift, muttering a required but tired and mechanical "hello").

And then they act like it's an inconvenience to them to get out of their chairs to help customers. "Come back here to the reception desk where the staff all sits and chats, and tell me if there's anything you want." Oh, yeah. And when you do, we'll react sluggishly to furtively communicate to you that you are an unwelcome interruption of our chat.

And after spending around RD$ 400,000 at Ilumel in Punta Cana in the past 6 months, they still stubbornly refuse to give even the smallest "repeat customer" courtesy discount on additional purchases I want to make there. Look, I have enjoyed frequent flyer-type treatment and preferred customer discounts in many stores INCLUDING ones here in Punta Cana and Bavaro, and I can testify that numerous stores here routinely accept my reasonable "offer" price which is less than their posted prices, especially when I am buying more than just 1 or 2 items.

But Ilumel's clerks openly admit that they have no special regard for "preferred customers" because people come in there daily and pay them whatever they demand (or so they say). However, although I've been a good customer for them, and they know that my shopping list still has plenty of items on it, they still treat me with cold indifference. They say their posted prices already reflect the discount (cough, cough, choke). Each tag has an absurdly ridiculous high price, and then a "half price" -- the real price -- which is STILL way too high. I'm not fooled at all by the tactic. Frankly, I've taken enough of their CS, so I am voting with my feet and looking for someplace else to spend the rest of my furniture budget.

I had a horrible experience with Crafto Furniture in Punta Cana Village -- I spent RD$ 125,000 and got only something vaguely similar to what I custom-ordered (and lacking features that I had paid extra for), and then they never delivered on the promised "repairs" after the delivery. They took all my money and reneged on all of their promises after that. I cannot trust them again. I'm never buying there again.

And there's just no furniture at IKEA that I want.

So now I am looking for a list of 3 or 4 or 5 customer-recommended furniture muebles stores in Higuey. Can anyone recommend any? Or can you recommend a furniture maker that does decent work at a reasonable price, and can be relied on for honesty in delivering what was actually purchased?

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
well, in my opinion, if you were used to the stylish furniture that is being sold in Ilumel, when you see the kind of furniture most of the furniture stores in Higuey have, maybe you will come back to Ilumel ...
maybe I lost a jewel there, but all furniture stores I have visited in Higuey does not fit my expectations, furniture style is like old, as I say to my wife everytime: "this furniture looks like taken from Dracula castle ..."
Just my opinion ... ;)

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Truth be known do not have high expectations for the quality of service and product in the DR. When you venture forth into the Domincan market with an attitude developed for the North American and/or European sales undertaking you will drive yourself crazy if you do not submit to the Dominican experience. No one store will provide you with all you desire.

If you like the Ilumel product, then buy it. You are only going to be in the store for the short while to buy the furniture just adjust yourself to the CS attitude and look forward to having the furniture you want.

Also, if you are having something custom made, just place a deposit and then inspect the product (take pictures) at the store or warehouse when it arrives from the factory before making final payment and taking delivery. Make sure you inform the staff of this desire. Reinspect the product at time of delivery before signing delivery receipt. Once you take delivery all bets are off.

Note: PJT's experience has been to visit every store, from Santo Domingo to the east and purchase and inspect at the point of purchase before accepting product. PJT has a camionetta and does his own transport and delivery taking an advantage of not having vendor exceptions occur after departing store or warehouse.

Regards,

PJT

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
if you are spending so much money in furniture, why not checking in SD and trying to get a good deal? maybe free delivery to Punta Cana if you buy many things. For sure in SD you will find stylish furniture shops (but expensive for sure).
Just another option ...
In fact, I bought my living and bedroom furniture in SD and I live in Bavaro ...

Dec 24, 2012
I haven't been to that side of the country to comment on but in the SD the furniture is so overpriced my jaw drops everytime. In the States it is so much easier to make furniture purchases and with online stores being solid I have been able to pin stores against each other to fight for my money. Each time I have seen a furniture or appliance piece in SD I laugh harder everytime and cannot believe people actually buy that stuff...

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I don't know if I'd stack their selection up against Illumel, but I got excellent service at Unicane on my last visit there. Of course I was dealing with a gentleman who I think is the owner, iirc Daniel, so it wasn't the typical D.R. apathetic sales clerk situation. ACTUALLY.. it's not uncommon to find apathy in sales clerks here in the U.S. either... so it's not strictly a Dominican thing.

Anyway, Unicane is in Friusa... or just outside... not really sure where the town actually ends... but on the road toward Macao on the left side as you go north, near the big bend in the road.

Good luck.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Illumel true story. I went in there once to buy a bed and matress. I found a matress I liked and told the sales lady I would be back tomorrow with my wife, this was at 4PM. I go there at 11 AM the next day. Same lady same matress, different price. 3,000 rd more. She says the price she gave me was for yesterday, this is today's price.

But it gets better. I figure I can deal with this later and go about picking out a frame. Find one we like, price is marked 31,000 rd. I say I will take it.

She starts writing and hands me a bill for 51,000 rd for the frame. I say it says 31,000 on the tag. Tag is wrong she says. I ask for the manager. A lady comes over, I tell her the story and she says NOTHING. I mean it was like talking to a wall. This was in Punta Cana if I did not say earlier.

Well I won't repeat what I told the two of them, in two languages to make sure they got it and left. And there is never anyone shopping in this store. Now I know why.

Let me add this. The next day I went to SD and got exactly what I wanted at the right price and delivered to PC free. Go the Capital my friend.

Last edited:

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Illumel true story. I went in there once to buy a bed and matress. I found a matress I liked and told the sales lady I would be back tomorrow with my wife, this was at 4PM. I go there at 11 AM the next day. Same lady same matress, different price. 3,000 rd more. She says the price she gave me was for yesterday, this is today's price.

But it gets better. I figure I can deal with this later and go about picking out a frame. Find one we like, price is marked 31,000 rd. I say I will take it.

She starts writing and hands me a bill for 51,000 rd for the frame. I say it says 31,000 on the tag. Tag is wrong she says. I ask for the manager. A lady comes over, I tell her the story and she says NOTHING. I mean it was like talking to a wall. This was in Punta Cana if I did not say earlier.

Well I won't repeat what I told the two of them, in two languages to make sure they got it and left. And there is never anyone shopping in this store. Now I know why.

Let me add this. The next day I went to SD and got exactly what I wanted at the right price and delivered to PC free. Go the Capital my friend.

Our developer did the initial interior design and furnishing of our condo in P.C. a number of the pieces came from Ilumel, and I like the style, but I'm certain she did her shopping in Santo Domingo. In fact, I think she (or someone else) told me outright that the prices are better in the capital. Buying in P.C. you're paying for convenience, and being in a tourist area. Same thing as anywhere else though. People I know who have places at the Jersey Shore pay way more at local merchants than if you buy in Philly.

Happy2B40

Dec 28, 2011
Higuey is the best for Furniture

We moved to Punta Cana in August 2012, and bought all our furniture in Higuey. It is cheaper and all the furniture we bought as far as bedroom, living room, and kitchen.. it was great pricing and super great service. We went to Frank Muebles. All our bedroom and kitchen table & chairs are mahogany wood. Stupid pricing ( in a good way), Miguel is the man who helped us.

The stores in Punta Cana, Bavaro, or Veron are more expensive. It pays to travel the extra 30 min's down the new highway to Higuey. Yes there are issues with warranties, but so far ( knock on wood ) we have had no troubles with fridge, stove, washer or dryer. We even bought a 42" flat screen ( complete with USB ports, FB, etc. ) at the same place and because we bought so much we only paid $600 for it compared to San Juan Plaza that wants over a $1000. Electronics here are retarded pricing, that much we have learned. My husband had bought a Wireless Canon Printer/scanner/copier/fax in Canada for $60 and brought it here, the cost for the same here is nearly $150 US. We didn't have to pay tax either at the airport once here ( original packaging but took out the manuals and place the receipt of purchase), and only $20 to put it on the plane ( West Jet ).

Just need to travel and shop around, we fluked out!

Trusting people here is not an option if they are DR, that I have learnt the hard way! Cost us a lot of money too. But have met a lot of great people too from other countries, and well we do have a couple of who we think are trust worthy DR people but still have our guards up.

Hope you have since found what you needed and another lesson.. always pay in pesos as they rip you off on the exchange of the US dollar. We use our credit card and get the exchange rate through the banks that way. Plus we have a record of it too beside the receipts.

Good Luck and it is always a learning curve living here! :D But we chose it and love the paradise the country offers! :D Have to look to the positives to help off set the negatives... lol

Don't get me started on the "Dominican Time"... they have no sense of time here! bhahahaha

Cheers!

Can anyone recommend a good muebles store in Higuey?

Or a competent and honest furniture carpenter in the Higuey / Punta Cana / Bavaro area?

I live and work in Punta Cana for the past three years, and I recently moved into a new home and I am in furniture buying mode for the past several months, looking for just the right pieces, of good quality.

I just cannot take any more of Ilumel Punta Cana's "customer service" (CS). As another poster earlier said, "CS -- to Dominican store clerks -- means to be completely indifferent and apathetic to customers, and if you feel any obligation to display any emotion at all to a customer, then merely give the customer a disinterested glance, and act like YOU are doing the customer a favor to LET them purchase anything from you."

I laughed at that definition of Dominican CS, as if it were a joke, until I realized that it pretty accurately summarized what I received from the Ilumel sales staff this year. And then it wasn't so funny anymore.

They smile when I enter the store, but it's a cold, insincere smile (like a catatonic Wal-Mart greeter near the end of their exhausting 8-hour work shift, muttering a required but tired and mechanical "hello").

And then they act like it's an inconvenience to them to get out of their chairs to help customers. "Come back here to the reception desk where the staff all sits and chats, and tell me if there's anything you want." Oh, yeah. And when you do, we'll react sluggishly to furtively communicate to you that you are an unwelcome interruption of our chat.

And after spending around RD$ 400,000 at Ilumel in Punta Cana in the past 6 months, they still stubbornly refuse to give even the smallest "repeat customer" courtesy discount on additional purchases I want to make there. Look, I have enjoyed frequent flyer-type treatment and preferred customer discounts in many stores INCLUDING ones here in Punta Cana and Bavaro, and I can testify that numerous stores here routinely accept my reasonable "offer" price which is less than their posted prices, especially when I am buying more than just 1 or 2 items.

But Ilumel's clerks openly admit that they have no special regard for "preferred customers" because people come in there daily and pay them whatever they demand (or so they say). However, although I've been a good customer for them, and they know that my shopping list still has plenty of items on it, they still treat me with cold indifference. They say their posted prices already reflect the discount (cough, cough, choke). Each tag has an absurdly ridiculous high price, and then a "half price" -- the real price -- which is STILL way too high. I'm not fooled at all by the tactic. Frankly, I've taken enough of their CS, so I am voting with my feet and looking for someplace else to spend the rest of my furniture budget.

I had a horrible experience with Crafto Furniture in Punta Cana Village -- I spent RD$ 125,000 and got only something vaguely similar to what I custom-ordered (and lacking features that I had paid extra for), and then they never delivered on the promised "repairs" after the delivery. They took all my money and reneged on all of their promises after that. I cannot trust them again. I'm never buying there again.

And there's just no furniture at IKEA that I want.

So now I am looking for a list of 3 or 4 or 5 customer-recommended furniture muebles stores in Higuey. Can anyone recommend any? Or can you recommend a furniture maker that does decent work at a reasonable price, and can be relied on for honesty in delivering what was actually purchased?

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
That's great if you like the style of furniture available in Higuey.
We don't.
It's a matter of personal taste.
I would not go to Illumel either, expensive and not a good rep for cs.
I would personally make the trip to Santo Domingo for the selection, but have my trip mapped
out beforehand.