What is chuck in the D.R.?

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Going to make some chili and wanted to know what chuck translates to here in the D.R. Thanks.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You want to use "Ground Beef"????
Use "Carne Molida segundo grado", "Pimero has no FAT, whitch equals, "No Taste".
If you use "chunks" of beef, I suggest "California"
Dominican beef is tough, it should be precooked in a pressure cooker, or VERY Slow, and Low in a covered sauce pan.
If you are making "Chili" for Dominicans, unless they have had it before, and assure you they love it, #1 don't expect much enthusiasm for your efforts, and #2, Dominicans think that regular "pepper" is "Muy Picante"!, so leave out the "Jalapenos" for sure!
I LOVE Very Hot Chili!
I live in Santo Domingo, if you need a "Taster"!
Cris Colon

May 29, 2006
Allspice???

I normally make a 3 bean chili:

1-2 Large Onions
8oz long Hot peppers or other peppers, or 10-16oz jar of generic salsa.
1 TBS Granulated Garlic
1 TBS Cumin
2 TBS Dark Chili Powder
1 TBS Salt
1-1.5 pounds Chuck or Round cubed to 1"
1-2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce

Add in and simmer for 2 hours:
3 cans Kidney Beans
2 cans Black Beans
1 can White Northern Beans(Navy Beans)
2 cans Diced Tomatoes

I used to make this in bulk using #10 cans which are about 100oz each(recipe x8.) Then it yielded about 8 gallons. I sometimes add in crushed tortilla chips to thicken it a bit and add some corn flavor.

Those red/orange peppers in the DR that look like Haberneros but are mild are fantastic for chili. I wish I could get those up here.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Espaldilla would be Chuck.

Men? tienda San ?ngel / Blog

I cut the meat into 1" cubes then simmer it with garlic and cumin for about 3 hours. Then it falls apart into shreds. Some pureed canned red peppers are good too.

Pretty much what im planning on making. Not going to waste MY delicious chili on Duminicans. :p

Made one with ground pork last time but the smell really put me off. Time before that was with ground beef and just didnt like the quality of the meat. Going for a texas style beef cube chili with lots of freshly made red chili sauce (new mexico chilis) this time.

Never seen espaldilla in the supermarket, any other translations?

May 29, 2006
This is what an elemental chuck cut looks like. This is the right shoulder, so the right cut wraps around the front leg and the left cut would run down the back. Below the chuck would be the brisket and behind it would be a rib cut and then the sirloin. Maybe just ask for Chuleta de hombro?

Beef-Chuck-113.jpg

The other large cut would be the Round, which looks like this:
1501RoundSteakBnls.jpg

And it might have a bone cross-section in it. The other cuts of beef are usually smaller than 6" across. Brisket is triangular with well defined muscle grain but isn't as thick as chuck or round.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
This is what an elemental chuck cut looks like. This is the right shoulder, so the right cut wraps around the front leg and the left cut would run down the back. Below the chuck would be the brisket and behind it would be a rib cut and then the sirloin. Maybe just ask for Chuleta de hombro?

Beef-Chuck-113.jpg
This is the ""eye of the chuck", aka Chuck Eye steak:

Beef-Chuck_zps6144b509.jpg

This may be the best bargain, bang-for-the-buck piece of meat in the cow, and one rarely seen in meat counters. It is well marbled, very flavorful and tender, very much like a Ribeye, but a fraction of the price.

Ask your butcher to cut several for you, 1"-1.5", next time he gets some whole chuck in.

Cook it like any fine steak and you'll be greatly rewarded.

May 20, 2012
Are you saying this about DR chuck eye??

Agree wholeheartedly about USDA Choice or better chuck eye. Never experienced DR chuck eye. Don't think I have seen it offered.

Ask your butcher to cut several for you, 1"-1.5", next time he gets some whole chuck in.

Cook it like any fine steak and you'll be greatly rewarded.