Just bought a pasola--- any advice??

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
So...because a car was too darned expensive....
I bought a used SYM Jet125 to get around Las Terrenas--
I'm still practicing on my side road before I take it into town AND I wear a helmet-
But I'm having trouble with turns....apparently it's not the same as riding a bicycle! :speechles
I would appreciate (and will heed!) any advice or how-to tips from pasola riders out there in DR1-land--
Gracias!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
any advice? why, that is an easy one. don't ride it, except within the confines of your yard. even that approach is hardly airtight, since malefactors have been known to relieve owners of those devices, by force or by stratagem. oftentimes, a combination of both.

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Turns require counter-steering, and the smaller the wheels, the lower the speeds when counter-steering is necessary.

PM me your email address and I'll send you:

1. The MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) Basic Riders Course materials, and
  2. A copy of Two Wheels in Paradise: the Essential Guide to Riding Motorcycles in the Dominican Republic (in .pdf, .epub, .mobi or .doc, your choice)

Ride safe!

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Please be careful with your moped! you are a newbie.Do not take it out on the road!
I agree with the gorgon,drive it in the confines of your yard.You are a newbie and
the driving in the DR will make an experienced driver look like a beginner!

Practice,practice,practice first!

cleverlemming

Jul 14, 2012
Gracias!

The most important advice I got on riding motorcycles was to practice hard stops using both brakes. 70% of your stopping power is in the front wheel, but you will get dumped in a hurry if it locks up.

When I ride my pasola, instead of following the standard motorcycling rule of riding in the left wheel space, I keep an eye on my mirror, ride slowly and always leave room for people to pass on the left. They will pass on the right, if given the opportunity, and they will pass on the left at high speed on the left when you are signaling left. if you have any doubts about making a left turn in a low visibility area, just pull over and cross when you know it's safe.

Many pasolas, especially SYMs, are stolen nightly in Las Terrenas. One of my friends lost one in front of Nuevo Mundo late one night. The police regularly wave pasolas down to check for papers because of all of the theft so it's a good idea to carry them. I've never seen a gringo pulled over but a Dominican friend of mine spent the night in jail because he was riding another friend's pasola and no one knew where the papers were.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Don't ride at night unless wearing enough reflectors to light up an airport.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I had the same problem when I first started riding a pasola - could only go in a straight line. I also am left right dyslexic so would accelerate instead of braking. The result was I ended up in a lot of walls, bushes, and hedges. Eventually i learned to go round corners but I can't remember how I learned!

Matilda

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I had the same problem when I first started riding a pasola - could only go in a straight line. I also am left right dyslexic so would accelerate instead of braking. The result was I ended up in a lot of walls, bushes, and hedges. Eventually i learned to go round corners but I can't remember how I learned!

Matilda
LOL!

You learned the same way a rat in a cage experiment figures out if he goes left he gets shocked...but if he goes right he gets the cheese.

Pain avoidance...

;)

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Actually what I did was have someone sit behind me who knew what they were doing. They would have their hands on the handlebars and controls and when we were going straight I would yell 'I have control' and would take over. When we came to a corner I would scream and they would take over. If their reactions weren't quick enough they too would end up in the hedge with me.

Matilda

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
One time in Bermuda, we tried to teach my wife to ride.

She just never got it - always turned the handle grip to turn - thereby tripling the speed.

I tried to teach her too close a pier one time..... almost had a swimming lesson too.
She quit right then and there.... relegated to passenger status.

Actually, my father did it too on a test drive in the late 30's,....
Twisted the grip on a turn and went straight into a corn field..... salesman on the back.

He still bought the 'sickel....

Steve McQueen he wasn't..... may have become him, but not then

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net

Matilda

omg......did you used to drive in Sarasota?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I'm still practicing on my side road before I take it into town AND I wear a helmet-
But I'm having trouble with turns....apparently it's not the same as riding a bicycle! :speechles
I would appreciate (and will heed!) any advice or how-to tips from pasola riders out there in DR1-land--
Gracias!
Sell it. ;)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Sooo, my father bought that motocycle.

One day, he and his younger brother were riding along and a runaway milk wagon passed them..... horse drawn in those days.
The two would-be heroes went off in hot pursuit.

The younger one on the back became the designated daredevil.... stand on the rear seat and climb onto the runaway wagon.
Just as he was getting a 'purchase' the cycle's wheels locked into the streetcar tracks

My father - "Hang on Pete, I'm gone"
My uncle left flapping like laundry in a hurricane.

It so happened they were passing by conservatory occupied by 4 old ladies playing bridge -- one of whom was my grandmother.
A stately voice said, "Ada, aren't those your boys??"
"Couldn't possibly be, -- one no trump" says she.

The milk company bought my uncle a new suit for his efforts..... which were succesful.

Careful susan77, motos can change your life:ninja:

trucker

Mar 20, 2011
In a safe place, drive in a circle to the left. Then change to the right. After you get that down ,lay a one inch board 4 inches wide and 8 feet long. When you can drive from one end of the board to the other, you are doing good. I ride my bike in the right hand part of the lane nearest the curb or ditch. It is always better to drive into a ditch than hit a vehicle coming at you. Always expect the unexpected, cause here in the DR the unexpected will get you.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Because of the trip-reports of Frank12 and others, during my next few weeks in DR I'd like to learn it also. Can anyone recommend me a teacher, preferably a female ?