take care of DR doctors

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
My 3 year old son was prescribed Danthron for minor constipation a few days ago. After further research, I found out that Danthron "In the USA, dantron is not used because it is considered to be a carcinogen.[1]"

I'm not going to go into the reasons why this obviously dangerous drug was prescribed to a 3 year old, I just wanted to warn other members to look into what they are being prescribed in the DR. If I even bothered to bring this up to my sons pediatrist, she would probably bring up 100 excuses why she prescribed it. Anyways, just watch out guys, btw, his pediatrist is one of the most well known and reputable (aka expensive) at HOMS in Santiago which is considered one of the countries best hospitals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dantron

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I might have only made it to my 2nd year of med school at UM.. but "CarcinogenicityDanthron is reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen based
on sufficient evidence of carcinogenicity from studies in experimental animals." on the National Toxicity Program website of the US government seems to be very convincing evidence. And to think those studies were done over 20 years ago.

I will stick to my idealogy that modern medicine is only good for acute trauma/illness and anything chronic/obscure should be directed towards homeopaths/natural medicine experts, ESPECIALLY in the DR.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Thank God you researched prior to giving your son that dangerous drug! I will do the same
if I'm prescribed any type of medication.

Good to know.Thanks for the warning.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Good info, I never even heard of that.

You might want to look into Miralax if they sell it there. It was given to my grandson when he was about 4, and it worked great. OTC product now, was originally by prescription only in USA.

Dec 26, 2011
You seem to be a conscientious dad so you know the typical remedies, by I'll throw a few out there.

Apple, with the skin, is good to increase regularity. Conversely, apple without the skin for loose bowels. Plenty of fluids are important to keep his system working properly. Also, not sure what he eats, but an overabundance of v?veres in the diet, not uncommon in the RD, can cause estre?imiento. Same with rice and bananas.

Good luck! Hope he's feeling better soon.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
TWo Words.
"Prune Juice"!!!!!!
It "Knocks The $hit Out of ME!!!!"
Usually within a few hours!
cc

I always have a box of dried prunes(,the juice does not work on me) in my pantry.You can
give it to children to eat,it's natural and they'll like it because it's sweet.

A natural laxative.It works!

Last edited:

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
rice ? i don't think so..brown rice has a lot of fiber which is helpful in such cases. the key is to drink a lot of water and eat fruits (pina,apple) and not too much bread, especially of the quality that its in DR :)
You seem to be a conscientious dad so you know the typical remedies, by I'll throw a few out there.

Apple, with the skin, is good to increase regularity. Conversely, apple without the skin for loose bowels. Plenty of fluids are important to keep his system working properly. Also, not sure what he eats, but an overabundance of v?veres in the diet, not uncommon in the RD, can cause estre?imiento. Same with rice and bananas.

Good luck! Hope he's feeling better soon.

Dec 26, 2011
rice ? i don't think so..brown rice has a lot of fiber which is helpful in such cases. the key is to drink a lot of water and eat fruits (pina,apple) and not too much bread, especially of the quality that its in DR :)

White rice can contribute to constipation. How many Dominicans eat brown rice? 2%?

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
Warm water with corn syrup dissolved (20%) by volume will ease constipation in the young!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
White rice can contribute to constipation. How many Dominicans eat brown rice? 2%?

pollito, I agree with you. I grew up in a home when the only time rice was eaten is if someone had "the runs".

Ironic that I married a man who eats rice daily. Learned quickly how to make it, I even do a decent con-con.

Dec 26, 2011
I even do a decent con-con.

You go girl. LOL

Funny concon story from when I was a teenager.

A friend(from La Vega) married to a gorgeous elegant boricua(used to call me lindo, big deal for an impressionable white boy, but I digress) had cooked and we ate lunch. As we finished, he lit up and excitedly asked if I'd ever had concon. Nope. Guess the meal got his digestive motors running, so he said he was going upstairs but he'd be back in a few minutes to make it for me. Very enthused. So, in appreciation for the hospitality, I dutifully started washing dishes and cleaning up. First thing I did was put some detergent in the caldero with the rice stuck to it and fill it with water to let it soak. Good plan, right? And then washed plates and glasses. When he returns to the kitchen, he sees the caldero full of soapy water and he freaks out. Screams "Da?aste al concon. Da?aste al concon. Da?aste al concon." Then he starts laughing so hard he's crying. I had to hear that story recounted every time I saw him for years after that. And that's the day I learned about concon.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Aquacate has some magical properties, and tastes a heck of a lot better than Ken's prunes!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ok. first, kudos for actually checking the compound before giving it to the kid.
two, miralax is not approved for use in children.
three, always go for a natural method first. coconut water is said to speed bowel movements, as well as yogurt and plums. if that fails but supositorio de glicerina and stick it up there. best thing for kids, i think, as often it is easier to shove something up then try to have something gulped down :)
should all those fail i suggest modacen (pantotenato de calcio) or fisiolax (sodium picosulfate). they both come in pills and in a liquid form, use as per instruction (weight, age and so on).