Check your bank statements today

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I have a peso account with Banco Popular, which doesn't often have much in it - it goes up and down from around 0 to RD$20,000. I get a tiny weeny bit of interest very occasionally.

Today I have checked my statement online and the DGII have taken out their 10%. They just took out 0.02 RD$ in tax! I thought the new tax started at the beginning of the year, not that the first collection would be made on the first minute of the new year and that it only applied to savings over a larger amount than my paltry average balance.

Those of you a tad richer than me - it might be worth checking.

Matilda

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Very odd, an account with 64k RD also had the same exact charge with banco popular, .20 por RETENCION DGII .

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Sounds like they are taking 10% of the interest per month, but since cash accounts barely pay any interest anymore anywhere in the world, it is kind of a Pyrrhic Victory-LOL-

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Sounds like they are taking 10% of the interest per month, but since cash accounts barely pay any interest anymore anywhere in the world, it is kind of a Pyrrhic Victory-LOL-

Exactly. I received 0.62 cents interest on approx 1800 $us and DGII took 10% - 0.06 cents.
Dirty ratfink commie Bast--ds

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
THat is correct they are taking 10% of the interest only. So for my US account last month it was 9 cents and my peso account 11 pesos. Hardly worth the effort

Bob K

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
But what about the supposed limit? That the tax would only apply to interest earnings above whatever it was? Maybe they will give it all back at the end of the year if your interest was less?!

Matilda

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Hell they could tax at 100% the interest and it still would not amount to much. However, if interest rates were ever to return to more normal levels, then I guess the gvt. would be collecting a lot of money.

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
It sounds like the time and effort to collect and account the revenues is going to cost more than the monies collected lol!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There are a number of other laws used to collect other fees from your bank account, for example my wife paid her school's IMPUESTOS DGII , and DGII took a 75 peso commision. A tax on a tax.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Tax on a tax-that's the one I like the best-Like when a Finance Ministry taxes all incoming wires with a sales tax and the money coming in is being used to pay another tax-LMAO-

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My in-laws have warned us to ship anything we have a/s/a/p, because every day that passes they 'think up a new tax or charge'.

We're going down March and April, and usually wait until the month before we go to ship our boxes/tanques, but this year we've already sent down the solar panels and 3 boxes. Another 4 almost ready to go.

I'm afraid it's just a matter of time before they crack down on the mudanzas.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Thirty years ago or so there was a need to raise the toll on the toll road in Florida because the amount they were collecting hardly paid the peoples salaries sitting in the on ramp extortion booths.
Der Fish

When I lived in Miami I always wondered why I always saw the same exact people working the toll booths, seemed like nobody every quit their job. I soon found out why when I met a toll booth operator at the duece bar in Miami beach, apparently he was making 22$ an hour after only 2 years working there, with only a GED. lol

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I checked my "Bank Statements" today!!
I thank "Obama", and US taxpayers for my "Raise"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sure it was only a small amount, but guess what????
I'll take it!!!
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$