Today i happily turn in my dr residency!!!!

eastcoastmike

Jul 18, 2004
Once again these Dominicans just push one too far until us foreigners simply say Ill keep my money in my own pocket.Now you get nothing from me.After 12 years as a DR resident I go to renew today.Never a pleasant process.I walk into the usual confusion,lack of order,no fans,cups on top of the water cooler etc.BUT in past years about $100 bucks and 3 hours later I was outta there.But today....OH NO!!!!!Immigration basically has everyone starting the process from day 1.Today I was informed that one must take a medical,cost 4500 pesos,100 pesos for the form to fill out,400 pesos for every month one is late renewing ones residency,VIP one day service 1000 pesos,4 year renewal 8000 pesos.But it gets better.One also has to go to the National Police to get a good conduct letters at what price I dont know,nothing is free).Then one must get a letter of solvency notarized,again, at what cost.Next is 3 frontal,3 profile pics,3 copies of your cedula ,residency,passport.
So lets do the math,upwards of 15,000 pesos or more depending on what these documents(letters) and pictures cost.Remember YOU are the one that needs to run around getting the papers in order.So include gas $ now maybe pushing 16,000 pesos to renew.Well thats 400 bucks US.This passed the abuse limit for me.I dont own a business here.Ill give the shotgun to the father in law(and avoid another tax by the way).For $400 dollars and days of aggravation that lie ahead you,the Dominican government, can keep my residency card and the zero dollar amount that goes with it.For the same $400 dollars I could enter the country 40 times in the next 4 years.One reaches a point where simple math sets in and the day comes to tell those setting these prices "go phuck yourself"! Ill happily spend that 400 bucks on myself!

jonytuga

Oct 16, 2012
Yep you got a point,indeed is a lot of money to renew the residency, the Spaniards have a saying "quien todo lo quiere todo lo pierde":surprised
JT

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Once again these Dominicans just push one too far until us foreigners simply say Ill keep my money in my own pocket.Now you get nothing from me.After 12 years as a DR resident I go to renew today.Never a pleasant process.I walk into the usual confusion,lack of order,no fans,cups on top of the water cooler etc.BUT in past years about $100 bucks and 3 hours later I was outta there.But today....OH NO!!!!!Immigration basically has everyone starting the process from day 1.Today I was informed that one must take a medical,cost 4500 pesos,100 pesos for the form to fill out,400 pesos for every month one is late renewing ones residency,VIP one day service 1000 pesos,4 year renewal 8000 pesos.But it gets better.One also has to go to the National Police to get a good conduct letters at what price I dont know,nothing is free).Then one must get a letter of solvency notarized,again, at what cost.Next is 3 frontal,3 profile pics,3 copies of your cedula ,residency,passport.
So lets do the math,upwards of 15,000 pesos or more depending on what these documents(letters) and pictures cost.Remember YOU are the one that needs to run around getting the papers in order.So include gas $ now maybe pushing 16,000 pesos to renew.Well thats 400 bucks US.This passed the abuse limit for me.I dont own a business here.Ill give the shotgun to the father in law(and avoid another tax by the way).For $400 dollars and days of aggravation that lie ahead you,the Dominican government, can keep my residency card and the zero dollar amount that goes with it.For the same $400 dollars I could enter the country 40 times in the next 4 years.One reaches a point where simple math sets in and the day comes to tell those setting these prices "go phuck yourself"! Ill happily spend that 400 bucks on myself!

So you went in there with out seeing if there were any changes when every board involved with the DR has been talking about the changes. Should have been prepared.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
This is just yet another demonstration of "Dominican Logic"!!!!
"Better to get $100 Dollars today, than $20 for the next 10 years!!!!!"
It's just like Dominican marketing Strategy.
When sales are off due to the poor economic times, raise your prices so you will get more money from the one customer you will get!"
I have lived here for 17 years. Illegally!
Saved some "Bucks", and,a LOT of time and aggravation .
If they stop me from entering the DR without DR residency at any point, I'll take the next plane out!
If I want to live in a broke country, I'll go to the USA, and let Obama take care of me full time!
"Hey!".... He ALREADY DOES, come to think of it!!!
"Gracias "Barry"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

eastcoastmike

Jul 18, 2004
Would it have made a difference Bob?Prepared or not ,I went through all this 12 years ago and I aint paying for it again.A 10 entry fee here and there is a helluva lot cheaper than $400! As CCCCCCC says,typical Dominican logic!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Would it have made a difference Bob?Prepared or not ,I went through all this 12 years ago and I aint paying for it again.A 10 entry fee here and there is a helluva lot cheaper than $400! As CCCCCCC says,typical Dominican logic!

So , wouldn't you qualify to get a ten year permanent residency?

eastcoastmike

Jul 18, 2004
This was never mentioned to me.They offered me 4 years!I didnt see any form indicating a 10 year residency card option.

eastcoastmike

Jul 18, 2004
The money is only half of it.Im not running around this city getting letters,notarizations,police reports etc.I did this and they have everything on record.If they want to jack up the price dont aggravate me as well!

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
They are talking about tightening up on the tourist requirements. The days of easy residency are over. The days of easy in and out use of tourist visas are probably ending too.

There's been extensive discussion on DR1 of all of this over the last six months or so.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
when i was renewing last year there was no mention of 10 years either...
in any case, i am not all that worried. i still have four years to go and lots of things may change. granted, usually the change is for worse but i'm not gonna lose my sleep over it.
all i know is that i do not want to be here illegally and i do not want a citizenship either. so all i am left with is residency...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
This is just yet another demonstration of "Dominican Logic"!!!!
"Better to get $100 Dollars today, than $20 for the next 10 years!!!!!"
It's just like Dominican marketing Strategy.
When sales are off due to the poor economic times, raise your prices so you will get more money from the one customer you will get!"
I have lived here for 17 years. Illegally!
Saved some "Bucks", and,a LOT of time and aggravation .
If they stop me from entering the DR without DR residency at any point, I'll take the next plane out!
If I want to live in a broke country, I'll go to the USA, and let Obama take care of me full time!
"Hey!".... He ALREADY DOES, come to think of it!!!
"Gracias "Barry"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

criss colon, having discovered you writings has helped me to realize that i am sane. or, i may be crazy, whichever you are. i agree with you 100% about Dominicans taking 100 dollars today, in preference to 20 dollars for the rest of their lives. also, Dominican Economics 101...in lean times, raise your prices, and gouge the only customer you will get that week. criss, i am just trying to figure if i am crazy, or sane. which are you?

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
I have recently completed the renewal of my Permanent Residency, the total cost was $(US)1,667.00 using the offices of Guzman Ariza, a well known subscriber to this board.

The process took from 30th October to 18th December to complete. It involved 3 separate trips to the Capital - I live in Santiago.

It is NOT a cheap process and this was my fourth renewal and on this occasion it is for 4 years.

The difficulties I encountered from Migracion only confirmed to me just how difficult it would have been to attempt renewal without an attorney though I suspect one could find a cheaper attorney than Guzman Ariza.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003

Just one question?

For your original and renewed for the 12 years, did you have someone else do it for you; an atty?

In other threads and knowing others that all the sudden came up with a "start over", they have had a "lawyer" do all the work and ended up NOT in the system. And of course, the lawyer has vanished.

Thanks for your sharing and I'm sure that all look for your response.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I have recently completed the renewal of my Permanent Residency, the total cost was $(US)1,667.00 using the offices of Guzman Ariza, a well known subscriber to this board.

The process took from 30th October to 18th December to complete. It involved 3 separate trips to the Capital - I live in Santiago.

It is NOT a cheap process and this was my fourth renewal and on this occasion it is for 4 years.

The difficulties I encountered from Migracion only confirmed to me just how difficult it would have been to attempt renewal without an attorney though I suspect one could find a cheaper attorney than Guzman Ariza.

That's a hell of a lot of money!:eek: for four years!