Dominican Republic's Racial Strife

K

KPeler

I know that Haitian-Dominican relations are sour, and there is this strong anti-Haitian sentiment in Dominican Republic. However, this strong anti-Haitian sentiment is racially motivated. This issue has been gaining some attention in the international field and might threatned to tarnish not only Dominican Republic's reputation, but it's booming tourist industry. Haitians who work in the Bateys and live in Santo Domingo, are discriminated against and are deported back to Haiti. Dominican Born individuals, who have Haitian parents are also forced to go to Haiti. Even Dark-skinned Dominicans who are not of Haitian desent, are discriminated. It seems that Dominican Society are ashamed of their black identity and suffer a severe case of self-racist negrophobia. It is evident in the last election, that 30% of Dominican voters consider race as an important factor. Even during the election of 1994, former Pres. Balaguer brought up the issue of race against his opponent's rurmored Haitian origins. I think one of the first steps to improve Haitian-Dominican relations, is to confront and dismantle Dominican racism. It will take a long process, but it will be a start. I would like to hear different opinions and perspectives on this important issue.

Thanks!

S

Squeezz- me

Oh no, the Haitian theme again :-b

Brace yourself guys, this is gonna take half the board.
(Hope not)

>deported back to Haiti??

The streets of Santo Domingo are filled with money begging Haitians, if they are being deported as you say; the immigration service is doing a terrible job.

IF they are illigal, what the hell do you want us to do with them?

Look, I suggest you take you bellyache to Aristide, he's being killing people since day one, supporting drug traffic and pulling every kind of delinquent act they have a name for, he even stole the elections, all this with people like you turning a blind eye or barking at wrong trees.

39% of our health budget goes out to help Haitian immigrants, I think we tax paying Dominicans deserve some respect.
In Haiti, there isn't a single hospital, we have to help Haitian women give birth because the Govt. there is too busy killing the opposition.

Give me break, you look like a troll looking for trouble.

A

Anny Mosity

If you love them so much why doesn't your country allow unlimited immigration from Haiti?

P

Pissed Dominican.

Right on!!

Dude!!?, very well said thank you

:)

People are such hippocras, people are starving to death, I am not kidding about this, they are practically eating themselves, not trees, not water, almost not rivers, they have a government that does not give a rat's ass about their own people, and the rich class in Haiti (people who are richer than the rich people in the DR) only care about the French Riviera and all this politically correct wannabes care about is the racial profile of 2000 deported immigrants.

I work for a government health agency; I can say we are spending one billion pesos providing medical health to people from another country when there are millions of poor Dominicans who don't get proper medical attention.

Now, we are responsible for providing schools for Haitian children while one million Dominican kids are being left without education because of lack of founds.

The food they eat in Haiti comes from Dominican agricultural industry, they eggs and chicken meat they eat comes from Dominican farms, the propane gas they consume is send by the Dominican government so they don?t consume our forests, the the only Haitian children being born in hospitals, with an obstetric taking care of the labor are the ones giving birth in the DR, hell, we even provide translators, all this thanks to this nation of Aryan racists.

Truth is that without the DR, Haiti would not exist; they would be sucking on each other?s bones by now.

S

Slimeball

Yes, Anny,unfortunately...you have it right. The D.R. is the main pillar propping Haiti up. I believe remedy starts with the Haitian government. Albeit, such metamorphisis will probably not happen with the Aristide government. As painful as real democracy may be to the Haitian government, it is the only real path to get the people behind you. This may take another 100 years, considering the abject poverty and unrest of the country.

E

Eddy

Solution: Baby Doc. where are you?

Bring the Duvalliers'back.

P

Prof. Tiberius Mineola

Alabama? Mississsippi? Florida?

to: KPler - I think that opinionated, agresssive Dominicans should have as much opinion, input, & influence on black-white racial relations in Mississippi & Alabama, & the Florida presidential election results as Americans should have on Haitian-Dominican relations. Sophocles once said: "Opinions are like assholes; everybody has one." Discretion & superior judgment in my opinion requires ongoing discrete silence about these issues from foreigners. One man's opinion.

R

rt

Re: AL/MS/FL, what do you know?

What do you know about Alabama/Ms/Florida? Something that you have read in a fifty year old textbook, maybe? Keep your comments about the US to thr state where the gentleman lives, New York. I think a more accurate comparison would be the treatment to the illegal Mexican workers in the US and not African-American citizens. Get your facts straight professor.

C

Canadian Bob

Re: Right on!!

The Haitian "problem" may never be solved. While there is no work little food & no medical service for the poor, Haiti also has no significant natural resources. The "lucky" ones drift across the border and do all the hard work in the DR. I have yet to see a Dominican cutting sugar cane. At least RD makes it illegal to cut down trees. Yes, the Haitians are desperate,& their Government is corrupt. Unfortunately, nobody has a solution, not even the contributors to this Message Board. Canadian Bob.

2DRs

It will never be said that Tony is one for political correctness. Tony - you most assuredly know how to reduce a subject to the lowest common denominator.

M

Marc

Racism and Tourism

Could someone please post a copy of the "10 easy steps to confront and dismantle racism" for me, I have misplaced my copy. I don't know the ISBN number, apparently one country in the world has it figured out and therefore must have a blueprint for the rest of us to follow.

I would also like for someone to post a list of countries void of all racism, and how this lack of racism has boosted tourism in each of these.

marc

C

criss colon

Re: Racism and Tourism

I once suggested to my darling Dominican wife that we look for a house to buy in Villa Mella,she was horrified,"That,s where all the "BLACK" people live", she said. Now, my wife is a very beautiful young woman,but she is only 1 small spoonful of "Cremora" away from cafe negro!Everyone has someone that they are "Better Than",that is except for the Hatians.They are at the end of the "Better Than" chain.

Criss

D

Dee DeMusis

We've been here and done this enough so that there could be quite a book published with the contents of the various stings. This is old news. No matter what we do or say, two things are evident: RACISM in the DR and IGNORANCE at the head of the Haitian government. Both contribute to the desperateness of the situation.

This IS Titi's problem but racism is never good or justified. Just ask any of the cane cutters that live and work in the bateys. I have seen this situation first hand and I have photographic proof of some fairly bad human rights violations. These have been written up by the OAS, so it's no secret.

EDUCATION and a real look at history will go far-- if the people of the DR are willing.

Here in the States we had a civil war that was fought over slavery. A guy named Lincoln did his best to do something about it. Can the people truthfully admit the wrongs -- on both sides-- and work toward a solution instead of perpetuating the proiblem.

EHOUGH. BASTA YA!!!

E

ECH, M.D.

Dee, the War Between the States was NOT fought over slavery but rather over States Rights. Slavery was a minor issue. And, as a matter of history, the "Federal" Government was the first to recognize slavery and the last to abolish it. The South abandoned slavery before the North did. Bet you didn't know that!

A

Andy

Right on, Dr. ECH. And let me add that historians generally agree that President Lincoln, realizing that states rights was not enough of an issue to rally the northern American people into a war (rightfully termed "the war of secession"), injected the emotional issue of slavery as a rallying point. It worked.

A

Abe

This IS Titi's problem ...

Ohhhh...so, it's better to neglect, persecute, support drug traffic and kill all of your political enemies as long as you are not a racists.

>"A guy named Lincoln"

A guy named Lincoln?....

>on both sides-- and work toward a solution instead of petuating the proiblem.

I guess there's less racism in the US as a result of that civil war that was fought over slavery, where a "guy named Lincoln" did his best to do something about it.

Are you aware of the civil rights movements of the 50's and 60's?. That was long after the civil war where "guy named Lincoln" did his best to solve the problem.

You DR haters are running out ammunition, so you have to resort to lies and slants, people are more aware of the Haitian problem in the DR. The DR is a poor country that could not withstand the huge wave of illegal immigrants overwhelming our system.

It is up to the international community to take care of the Haitian problem, not us.

M

me

Re: This IS Titi's problem ...

>>The DR is a poor country that could not withstand the huge wave of illegal immigrants overwhelming our system<<

Yeah, this country is so poor that meanwhile every ignorant office clerk owns a Jeepeta, which people in other countries, where you have to work, would not be able to afford.

>>It is up to the international community to take care of the Haitian problem, not us. <<

In this country it is always up to the other to pay, to resolve m to wait, to get cheated and so on........................

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

M

Maria Obetsanov

Re: Dominican Republic Border

If they where white or any other race, there is a border problem. How may Mexican get deported, who make over the strongest fortified border during peace time I have ever seen. The berlin wall is a little fence in comparison to what I have seen there. Now tell me this is to keep the drugs out. Each property owner has a right to his own property. The same goes for a country keeping its border and service for its citizens. Its a matter of self preservation. Every country in the world does the same thing, that why the US use the quota system for all immigration.