cake in santiago

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
i need to get a cake in santiago, for a little kids birthday party.. any recommendations?

Dec 26, 2011
WTF!?!?

I'm not a sweets guy, but I know Dominican cake is probably the best cake in the world.

How a Dominican guy with a family in the Cibao in the coffee business can't come up with an amazing bizcocho from the local reposter?a is beyond comprehension.

And shame on you, DavidZ. I understand you to be a man of distinguished taste...sending the boy to a box store. Tsk tsk.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I buy cakes from El Nacional because they are as good as any I've had here and inexpensive. They put birthday wishes on the cake for free too.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
WTF!?!?

I'm not a sweets guy, but I know Dominican cake is probably the best cake in the world.

How a Dominican guy with a family in the Cibao in the coffee business can't come up with an amazing bizcocho from the local reposter?a is beyond comprehension.

And shame on you, DavidZ. I understand you to be a man of distinguished taste...sending the boy to a box store. Tsk tsk.

I'm sure I could, in La Vega where I'm from.. but I also like getting new recommendations from members on dr1, never hurts to try something new.. and how someone could post so many words without even a bit of helpful information is beyond comprehension.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
I would suggest Lumijor on Ave Raphael Vidal. They have a personalised service and my adopted Dominican families devour the cakes.

I'm sure I could, in La Vega where I'm from.. but I also like getting new recommendations from members on dr1, never hurts to try something new.. and how someone could post so many words without even a bit of helpful information is beyond comprehension.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Also on Raphael Vidal is La Campagna
Panaderia which is top class but comes with a corresponding price.

You get what you pay for.....springs to mind

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I would suggest Lumijor on Ave Raphael Vidal. They have a personalised service and my adopted Dominican families devour the cakes.

Great suggestion, considering I live only about 1mile away from it I might check it out, my other option is Bravo, I know their bread is absolutely awesome, but not sure about their cakes.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I USED to go the "Reposteria" road.
Fight traffic, and pay Waaaaaaaaaay Too Much!
I have been buying many cakes every year from Super National!
3 minutes from my house, nice selection,personalized,and not over priced, and they taste great too!
One day I got one, when I went to check out, my manager "Amigo" checked the date code, and said wait here.
He was gone for over 10 minutes, when he reappeared, he was carrying a just made cake for me.
Know your, general mgr., butcher, produce guy, and your "Bag boys"!!!!!
CCCCC

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Dominican cake

Fifa Sudejer is the right place in Santiago....The cake can be fill with different kind of flavors, such as pineapple, prune, caramel, etc...

calle Independencia esquina Sanchez...

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
WTF!?!?

Dominican Cake the best in the world??? Seriously? Dominicans do many things well...but baking is certainly not something they are known for...

The flour, yeast, processed cocoa, and most other ingredients here are sub-par... and of the dozens, if not hundreds of Dominican baked goods I've had while living here, I could probably count on one hand those that were really good.

Apart from that, many small reposterias are inconsistent and unreliable if the cake requires a special order.

I have bought cakes at La Sirena and PriceSmart and have never been disappointed...and I *AM* a sweets guy...

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Dominican Cake the best in the world??? Seriously? Dominicans do many things well...but baking is certainly not something they are known for...

The flour, yeast, processed cocoa, and most other ingredients here are sub-par... and of the dozens, if not hundreds of Dominican baked goods I've had while living here, I could probably count on one hand those that were really good.

Apart from that, many small reposterias are inconsistent and unreliable if the cake requires a special order.

I have bought cakes at La Sirena and PriceSmart and have never been disappointed...and I *AM* a sweets guy...

I spoke with the owner of the belgium breakfast place in Cabarete (some of the best deserts on the island), and he told me one of the main issues was inconsistency in dairy products. He says one day the butter can be 60% water, the next day 40% etc and it ruins his recipes. Milk has the same issue because of the way it is processed here. Anyways, the cake was for a gift for a friends kids party so I just opted with La Sirena at 550 for a 1lb cake, any reposteria is double that price and kids can't tell the difference in taste.

I bought an expensive cake for my kids 3rd birthday last year from mil hojas in la vega, and the kids didnt like it because they said it wasn't sweet enough, the adults loved it..

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
I also have to agree on the PriceSmart cakes. Not loaded with sugar, moist, have great taste/flavor and not expensive.

Dec 26, 2011

Dominican wedding/anniversary cakes have a reputation as being superior to their American counterparts. The icing used is lighter and less sickening sweet than the typical American stuff. They often come with guava/pineapple/strawberry filling. I guess there are few things more subjective than what makes a good cake. It's the only cake I eat. At a gringo wedding/party I always pass.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
BARBARIANS!!!

I still have to get a real good cake, or biscuit here. Mind you, the owner of the Belgian Bakery comes real close, and I believe him when he says it comes to the inconsistency of the ingredients here. I know he had a very good rep in Belgium.

Dominican cakes.. no taste, much too much sugar.
American cakes... sorry, they disgust me. Way too much sugar, and then the artificially flavored icing.... ouch... who wants to eat a pink, blue or orange cake?

BelgianK, a guy with a palate.

Dec 26, 2011
American cakes... sorry, they disgust me. Way too much sugar, and then the artificially flavored icing.... ouch... who wants to eat a pink, blue or orange cake?

100% agreement.