27 Waterfalls

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
"The Damajaqua Cascades (27 Waterfalls) are a series of waterfalls about 45 minutes from Cabarete, or 25 minutes from Puerto Plata. An entrance fee of 460rd covers everything you need (shoes, helmet, life jacket, guide) although you can choose lesser packages which include fewer waterfalls if you're not up for the full challenge. In order to enjoy the canyoning adventure, you hike up the mountain for about an hour until you reach the falls and work your way back down the river by jumping and sliding through pools of water - this can be challenging so you shouldn't have any physical limitations or fear of jumping from ~10-20 ft falls. After rain, the water is a little murky as well as higher/faster than normal. It's clear and gorgeous other times.'

There is a nice visitor center with bathrooms, a bar and, of course, a gift shop.

http://www.27charcos.com/index.php
It is a little challenging getting there but that's part of the fun." Review from TripAdvisor

015_zps35a5992a.jpg

012_zpsa23acc0d.jpg

010_zpsc48bfb01.jpg

008_zpse9c69301.jpg

P1280147_zps3a8be890.jpg

P1280146_zpse3c03643.jpg

P1280143_zps320cbb44.jpg

P1280141_zpsbef2b7f6.jpg

P1280128_zps7c7c9840.jpg

P1280126_zps3bb5287d.jpg

P1280110_zps44a0de10.jpg

Here is a short video I made of the waterfalls:

[video=youtube;djUwZLvx_dM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djUwZLvx_dM&feature=share&list=UUwqGtCbKPC0n50nraMPtNCA[/video]

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Other than driving a moto in a drunken stuper, this "adventure" is the single most dangerous and stupid thing you can do here

Bob K

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Other than driving a moto in a drunken stuper, this "adventure" is the single most dangerous and stupid thing you can do here

Bob K
IMO, it may be the single most awesome natural activity on the entire island, a "must do" for the truly adventurous and fit.

We've had this discussion before.

I suggest rolly-polly, soft, timid and non-athletic AI couch potatoes and their spawnal equivalent not do Rio Damajagua.

I suggest others do it twice.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
There have been a number of drownings at the falls,

hopefully they have safety devices in place now......

There have been a number of drownings at Salto Jimenoa in Jarabacoa too, last time it was a couple drunk Uruguayan dudes who decided to have a swim in the restricted part where the waterfall lands.. They never found one of them.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There have been a number of drownings at the falls,

hopefully they have safety devices in place now......
Years ago, one just hiked and went, following a trail.

Now guides, helmets and flotation are required. As well as "warning" signs everywhere.

It's still a fantastic place, one of THE BEST experiences of my life, but not for some.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I agree with Cobraboy...the 27 waterfalls is by far, hands down, the best excursion here on the North-coast. Nothing remotely comes close to it. If you look at part of the video i made, you'll notice that the canyon walls are enormous, gigantic, towering--walking through them is like being in The Lord of the Rings. You'll feel like a Hobbit as you navigate your way through the gigantic, snaking canyon. It really needs to be experienced to be believed.

I send all my restaurant/bar customers there, and they all come back and tell me it was their highlight of their vacation. So far, no dead person has come back and complained to me. But i have seen a few zombies walking around.

Frank

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have done this trip twice and i am not a great swimmer. first time around i was helped by a charming american dude who played rugby :) second time the water was so high, fast and cold the guides themselves called it a day and backed off after three or four waterfalls.
it is a great adventure, i think. nowadays one has to wear life jackets and helmets and it is quite safe, i think. accidents can happen, of course, so do not go there drunk, do not go there if you cannot swim, if you are scared of water, if you are weak, old or in bad shape. it is not an adventure for everyone but it is great fun.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I would certainly do the falls if I didn't have such bad shoulders and both my sons would do it as often as they could. Where I come from in Canada this would be normal everyday fun.

gonzo two

Banned
Jan 13, 2010
remember not to do it if you dont feel comfortable doing it - or stop if you find you dont want to continue, I think people get into trouble if they are presuming its safe

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
It's still a fantastic place, one of THE BEST experiences of my life, but not for some.

This sums it up for me too. I did it ten years ago when I was actually in decent shape and it was a challenge but I LOVED it.
At that time helmets and life jackets were not provided.
I am not sure if it is still a volunteer network of guides that assist you up the falls.
Ten years ago these guys worked for tips only, if that is still the case please tip GENEROUSLY. They deserve it.

pdmlynek

Sep 27, 2012
My 3 pre-teen kids, wife, and I did the 12 falls portion in November 2012. It was one of the highlights of our visit to DR. The North Coast of DR is a fine destination, but there are many other places around DR that are just as nice -- however, the fact that we could visit Damajagua was one of the main reasons why we decided to head to the North Coast for part of our vacation.

During our planning of our vacation, our family sat down and went through all of pros and cons on going on a trip to Damajagua. The tragic death of Adam Vitaterna weighed heavily on our minds. Yes, we want to have fun, but on the other hand it makes absolutely no sense to partake in an activity that may easily result in a death. We took a very hard look at this activity; we are not cavalier about our safety.

The problem that we saw is that many gringos expect the same level of expertise and safety precautions as if it would be done at home. But that is just not the case here. Going to Damajagua is not like going to Disneyland. Going to Damajagua is not even like doing “adventure sports” like ziplining, top roping, SCUBA diving, skydiving, or myriads of other adrenaline-fueled activities that have safety checks, safety harnesses, etc. already well developed and engrained into participants’ psyche. Doing these falls can be really dangerous.

I told my kids to listen attentively to the guide, obey all of the rules, but that ultimately the guide are not responsible for their safety. There may be a mindset of safety in the US that simply does not exist in DR. If the guide tells you to jump into the water but it looks too dangerous, then don’t do it. The experience taught my kids that they have to be responsible for their own safety.

The only bad part of trip was that we forgot our underwater camera, and we had to rely on the camera that we rented at the gate, and one of our guides; the camera was terrible and our guides knew nothing about photography -- well, at least we’ll have good memories.

In summary, it was a major highlight of our trip, and I highly recommend it.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
When I went to the falls, I was 60 years old and in reasonably good shape. Plus, I'm a pretty good swimmer. I only did 7, which, I understand is almost more difficult than doing all of them. Basically, you swim UP against the current and then climb up the falls themselves. The guides were extremely helpful, practically pulling me up a couple of the climbs. I won't go again, but I do recommend the experience for healthy teens to adults. I do not recommend it for children or anyone who cannot swim. It was very challenging but very fun. The only time I got in trouble (felt unsafe) was in a place where I had to hold onto a rope on a slope while others in my group caught up. I had to move slightly and lost my balance and ended up holding myself up on the slope by one wrist...never knew I could do that but it was a self-protecting adrenaline rush that kept me from tipping over and bouncing down the slide of the rocks. Caution is recommended but it is a fun day. The food afterwards was great!

diable410

Sep 14, 2011
IMO, it may be the single most awesome natural activity on the entire island, a "must do" for the truly adventurous and fit.

We've had this discussion before.

I suggest rolly-polly, soft, timid and non-athletic AI couch potatoes and their spawnal equivalent not do Rio Damajagua.

I suggest others do it twice.

At the time I did 27 waterfalls, I wasn't in shape at all. Also the day before I had very bad case of food poisining. If a sick out-of-shape person can do it, anyone can. Although, after watching the DVD of the experience, it prompted me to get in shape.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i believe that since adam's death the safety has greatly improved. back then there was no helmets and no life jackets. and the family did the trip in january, after some heavy rains. this place is totally different in the summer, after weeks of great weather, and in the winter, after storms.

i have seen old folks, guys out of shape and kids do it and i say it ain't a good idea. guides then focus of those less able bodied and as a results the rest of the people are left unattended. if you have difficulty walking on the road do not venture into up the hill jungle where two people need to support your every step!

it is also important to use your judgement to decide what is best for you. the first time i took that trip i did jump down the last waterfall but not too close to the actual stream. i asked some canadians who already enjoyed the jump to check the depth of the water and they kindly did and kept close to help me if necessary. they had fun as i fell flat on my face...
second time the water was too high and too fast and i climbed down.

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
When I went, years ago, was only able to get up to 6. It was tough work and I remember scraping myself on the rocks on the way down, lol. Fun though!

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
I took my family and friends that visited for xmas just a few days ago. I even took my 60 year old mother! We did the full 27 waterfalls (much to the guides dislike - more work for them!). This was my second time of going - and totally different from the first time due to Hurricane Sandy - a lot of landslides had changed some of the falls.
I have to say I thought the safety and guides knowledge was excellent. They knew exactly where to jump and let you know if it isn't that deep in places. Halfway down they have a guy sitting there with a radio so they can call help if you need it.
I think this is a must for anyone visiting the DR - aslong as you are sensible and listen to the guides then its perfectly safe.

Again if my 60 year old mum can do it almost anyone can (granted she didnt do the biggest jump)

Also Frank its 500 Pesos for foreigners without a cedula and 350 with - thats for the full 27.

diable410

Sep 14, 2011
At the time I did 27 waterfalls, I wasn't in shape at all. Also the day before I had very bad case of food poisining. If a sick out-of-shape person can do it, anyone can. Although, after watching the DVD of the experience, it prompted me to get in shape.

Gonzo two - I appreciate your conern and 'dislike' of my post but I had an excellent time. I needed no help from the tour guides and even helped some of the other tourists up the downstreams.

Was it the out of shape or food poisoning you disliked? I made sure the bouts of diarrhea I had was under control. Wouldn't want people fighting my 'streams' as well. ;):rambo: