Information for diploma

S

Susana

Me and my student collegue are writing our diploma about the Dominican Republic and the tourism there. We have got some questions and hope, someone of you can help us. At first w would like to know, which kind of politics Mejia is practising, especially in relation to the tourism sector. Furthermore something about the cruise- ship industry. Are they only arriving at Santo Domingo? Do the passengers have to pay something for the entrance of the country like the tourists via airways and if how much? Is Mejia support cruise- ship tourism?
We really hope, someone has got some good answers! Greetings from Germany, Linda and Susana.

H

Henry

How can you make a diploma on hearsay??????????

Henry

(Hey, we right now may not even trust the newspapers! Just look at an earlier post regarding the jailed commercial guy!)

Kommt doch her!

S

Susana

We are not practising hearsay!!!! We have been 9 months in the Dominican Republic for a practical work and there we collected information personally for our work! We are only looking for information which we couldn`t find until now! And maybe there exist some internet pages or other helpful links, that was what we were asking for! And we are still hoping, someone can help us! Linda and Susana

H

Henry

Well, you have been here for nine month and still do not know that the visa costs USD 10.- and departure airport tax another USD 10.-? Where and how have you been here????

To the other questions: Principally every government is making tourist promotion, but it is noticed differently! Right now the northern zone is apperantly more promoted than the south! (Even though right now in the Colonial Zone of Santo Domingo there have been and are still houses painted by the government to raise the presentation!)

The cruise ships is a different point. As a result of complaints of the guests, that they get bothered to much by shoeshine boys and guides, or feel disturbed by the dirt on the roads, the ships simply have reduced in numbers, even we have a brand new harbour! (I guess you never tried the rest room over there!)

And, according to the new taxes erected by the government on the first of January 2001, the vacations over here tend to get more expensive for tourists in the future (We had some posts stating that allready for some 300 to 400 USD for a two weeks stay!)

So according to the local summary we definitly do not have enough promotion from the government for tourism over here and this country may run into heavy problems, when some other destinations in the caribbean are improving - and they are!

Hope to have given you some figures, but to get deeper in the subject I guess you would have to get here (again) and look around more closely!

Good luck!

Henry