uh oh.. meltdown

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
This does not surprise me one bit. This seems to be the pattern in Haiti. A lot of aid money comes in but it never seems to get to the right people who are responsible for getting the work done. Haiti needs continued massive help but also the countries providing the aid need to see more progress. It is a catch 22. I know there are a lot of countries, organizations and people trying to get positive things done in Haiti but how long will they continue help if the feeling is that Haitian officials are not doing enough to help themselves.

LTSteve

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Good for Canada. I hope they stick to their decision and send no more money until sure the money will be used properly.......then stop it again when their are signs corruption again diminishing the benefit to the people.

I would like to see all countries that send aid money, whether to Haiti, the DR, or wherever, do the same. No question that a lot of aid money the US is sending to many countries is being wasted in the same way.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
When gubmint isn't paying the insiders, no gubmint can be stable.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Maybe it's time for the UN to just come into Haiti and take full 100% control. None of this "we're here to help" stuff, but come in and put real teeth into gubmint institutions. Make it happen. Occupy it like post WWII Japan and Germany.

The world has spent BILLIONS AND BILLIONS in Haiti and as far as I know they are no better off now than at any time.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Stop giving them money.
It does not go where its supposed to go.

SHALENA

May 5, 2007
Maybe it's time for the UN to just come into Haiti and take full 100% control. .

You're going to get "someone" all peed off again, saying the USA is playing favoritism in choosing which country to invade.

If the US invades one country in crisis they should equally invade ALL countries in the world that have any issues :classic:

(I mean the US/NATO/UN are one and the same right? There are no other member countries?)

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Maybe it's time for the UN to just come into Haiti and take full 100% control. None of this "we're here to help" stuff, but come in and put real teeth into gubmint institutions. Make it happen. Occupy it like post WWII Japan and Germany.

The world has spent BILLIONS AND BILLIONS in Haiti and as far as I know they are no better off now than at any time.

I second that.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I hope the government goes bankrupt so that the Haitian people realize that they've been lying all along about who is to blame for their problems.

Maybe the next government that gets elected will allow foreign companies to own property so they would actually invest. I mean how is it possible you can count all the resorts in Haiti on one hand?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
You're going to get "someone" all peed off again, saying the USA is playing favoritism in choosing which country to invade.
Invade?

There are already a bazillion blue hats there now! The UN has been there for years! Not just American blue hats. I've met some from Peru, Ecuador and Chile at the borders.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

Won't happen. Too many nations would vote against such a resolution or veto it for fear of establishing a precedent that might be used against them in the future.

I think the only hope is for donors to stop sending money until real reforms are agreed to.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Won't happen. Too many nations would vote against such a resolution or veto it for fear of establishing a precedent that might be used against them in the future.
Understood.

But if the gubmint collapses into chaos-a distinct possibility-I wouldn't be surprised if another "Operation Restore Democracy" happened.

It wasn't that long ago. My best friend, a retired Army Col., participated in that one.

A boycott is a two-edges sword: hurts the gubmint as well as the people.

There is a point when there are no more answers the only answer is to wipe the slate clean and create the answers.

Wasn't Martelly partying in Altos de Chavon like a rock star recently? I'd be interested in details of the suposed bounced checks. Certainly someone will come forward and complain publicly.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
It seems even the economy is falling back into the toilet. The IMF overestimated Haiti's economic growth rate for 2012 by almost 6 percentage points!!!!

This was published today: Haiti: Still waiting for recovery
Three years after a devastating earthquake, the “Republic of NGOs” has become the country of the unemployed
Interesting comment at the end of the article:

To fill the gap, Mr Martelly relies on Petrocaribe, an aid scheme set up by Venezuela’s Hugo Ch?vez, which supplies Haiti and several other countries with subsidised oil. By reselling a chunk of the oil, the government gets up to $400m a year, or about 4% of GDP. Mr Martelly plans to use this to rebuild a corridor of government offices in Port-au-Prince and to pay for several social programmes, including cash transfers to the poorest. The aid comes without the strings that many other donors attach. No wonder that Mr Martelly and Mr Lamothe attended a mass a few days before Christmas to pray for Mr Ch?vez’s recovery from cancer surgery.

Haiti may be the hardest hit by the pending demise of Commander Chavez.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The article says that Martelly has made it easier for foreigners to own business and they have a 15 year tax exempt status for foreign business but they have had very little interest.

I expect the main issues are the very suspicious nature that Haitian's have regarding foreign investment of any type and the very outdated property laws that can take 10 years to transfer a property. Throw in the inevitable need of getting "permits" and it is no wonder why foreign businesses aren't biting.