Termites

shunch

Nov 21, 2012
Does anyone know how to prevent termites or getting rid of? We bought new furniture (pine) and would like to keep it termite free. There was a table left in our condo and looks like termites got to it. Live in Sosua.
Thanks

gonzo two

Banned
Jan 13, 2010
they sell stuff you can paint on in the place next to edenorte, but you have to mix with about 200 gallons of water , its quite industrial

shunch

Nov 21, 2012
Thanks. Is it a clear substance? Do you need to reapply? Unfortunately won't return until next month.

gonzo two

Banned
Jan 13, 2010
its clear yes- but I would actually throw the table away, unless its something totally wonderful

May 29, 2006
Put the legs in plastic cups and then into plastic bowls with water in them? The termites won't cross water to get to wood and can't make scent trails. If you can put the chairs up on a table, you'd only need four sets.

You could also put the legs in bowls of Boric Acid powder which will kill any insect that contacts it, then you won't have to worry about the water drying out.

May 29, 2006
How hard is it to get boric acid?

Easy. It should be at any hardware store, typically in yellow squeeze bottles. It's ?cido b?rico in Spanish. It will also get rid of fleas, cockroaches and ants. Non-toxic. The bugs get it on them then they eat it when they clean themselves-- it kills them because they can't digest it. I once used less than a pound to get rid of fleas for a whole house.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Once inside the house you have a real problem. They got into the pine closet in one of our rooms and moved from their to the bathroom door. We are still battling them with a Dom fumigator. Many houses sold in resendencias are all pine on the inside. In a few years all that pine will be gone. Almost bought a house in one and I am forever grateful to my Dom wife for talking me out of buying the house. If they are in a table they are most assuredly inside the house. Keep a close watch on all the pine. Mahogany (caioba) is of course termite resistant but expensive.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
A couple of years ago we remodeled our DR kitchen, which was built with pine cabinets. When we removed one of the longer base cabinets, there was a massive nest behind it, yuck!!! They ate around some of the cabinet hinges, and a door was hanging. Rebuilt the kitchen in andiroba and caoba, so far so good.

But you're right, once they're in the house, you're in trouble. We had to replace EVERY door and the frames. Bought new beds for two of the bedrooms - one is metal bunkbeds [no box spring] and the other we bought a tempurpedic with one of the ergo metal adjustable bases. I don't want to worry about them eating the wood from the box spring while I'm sleeping, ewwwwwww.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Caoba", Better!
Less smelly too!
Diesel does have one advantage, you can burn it in your "Planta".
If you just replace pine with more pine it's "Second Course" for the termites.
When I bought my house 15 years ago, it was all "Pino" and all eaten.
You could push your finger through the paint into the airspace below.
I replaced everything wood in the house with "Caoba"
15 years, no termites, plus it's natural finish is much more elegnt then pine
It does cost a small fortune, but it's, "One & Done", forever.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I can't get away with that big clunky furniture, it is heavy timber and like you say a more natural finish is attractive but the carpenters that work it lack imagination.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I designed a lot of my own furnitue 15 years ago. Hand made by a great furniture maker, and staff.
Not "Clunky" at all. More USA traditional with a Danish Modern touch.
The chairs and sofas have been re upolstered a few times, and several wooden pieces re touched.
They still look great.
Only trouble is, he went "Big Time" with two showrooms, and his prices went "Big Time" as well.
I found another tiny woodworking shop that is still inexpensive.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC