You give begging people your money?

Taca?o

Dec 30, 2012
I was just thinking about it and I'm already putting money aside for the beggers.

Basically I put them all in a category and some of them deserve my money and some of them don't.

- handicaps; I should actually give them something but I can't tell why I'm not.

- crackheads; Of course they not going to get anything from me!

- old people; I don't know about old people, i never gave them something and I probably never will if it doesn't strike me enough.

- children; This right here is something I'm still thinking about. I absolutely have so much joy in my hearth knowing I bought some kids the biggest pica pollo ever. The smiles on their faces. Or that little girl that wanted to sell me popcorn, the look on her face when buying 4 bags but she could kept all of them.

Now I know it's something you could do when you're on vacation, but I would like to know from you guys if you also categorize beggers or it's just like sometimes you just give what you've got to the first one or you never give something at all?

So, do you give begging people your money?

Taca?o

Dec 30, 2012
By the way, I'm that hard headed that I only buy them food. You ain't going to walk off with my money so you need to hand it over to someone or you're going to buy things I would never want you to buy.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Yes,I do.I have a jar with loose change and when I go out somewhere I always take
some with me.But I only give to the handicapped I see while coming to a stop at traffic lights.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it depends. i have them separated in two groups: pain in the ass and potential needy. just when i came here i was walking the main street in POP, a woman with a small girl in a school uniform passed me. decent looking, clean, well dressed and plump. a kid came to me, opened her hand and said dame cinco peso. mother patted her on the head, like you pat a dog after showing roll-up-and-die trick. since i could speak very little spanish then i cursed both of them in polish.ever since then i am cold hearted stingy monster.

kids? i do not give them anything. i presume they have, somewhere, some sin verguenza parents who sent them to beg. if the kid cleans my shoes i pay him dominican price.
handicapped? at times, and not in POP because i know few cripples here and they are all hopeless drunks (i'd be as well, probably, if i had no legs).
old people? sometimes, because this one tears my heart, as i think about my parents. not that they beg, mind you. my father, however, out of sheer boredom and the need to do something collects cans. and whenever i am home i happily venture out with him to dig in rubbish bins and search bushes in the back of a supermarket.

and before you spit at me and send me to hell: you must know that not all things are what they seem. it is quite common here to rent a cripple. yes, you read that right. say, there are some poor folks who happen to have handicapped or otherwise visibly sick or disfigured family member. everyone in that household works so no one has much time to take care of the sick or spend time with them. such person is rented out to some young tigres who'd take them on the main street to beg. they'd walk around with the wheelchair asking for money. at the end of the day the cash is split in two and everyone is happy.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
For me its mostly kids I see, wether they get to keep it or not

adults not so much

unless you in a wheelchair at banco pop
never ever will I give a cent to that woman in cabarete ,no matter how much she hisses at me:)
Manu

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
I was just thinking about it and I'm already putting money aside for the beggers.

Basically I put them all in a category and some of them deserve my money and some of them don't.

- handicaps; I should actually give them something but I can't tell why I'm not.

- crackheads; Of course they not going to get anything from me!

- old people; I don't know about old people, i never gave them something and I probably never will if it doesn't strike me enough.

- children; This right here is something I'm still thinking about. I absolutely have so much joy in my hearth knowing I bought some kids the biggest pica pollo ever. The smiles on their faces. Or that little girl that wanted to sell me popcorn, the look on her face when buying 4 bags but she could kept all of them.

Now I know it's something you could do when you're on vacation, but I would like to know from you guys if you also categorize beggers or it's just like sometimes you just give what you've got to the first one or you never give something at all?

So, do you give begging people your money?

I never give like this. I give to charity, friends, family and other people in safe settings. The oldest trick in the book is to have a beggar there and robbers working with them nearby and when you take the money out they rob you there or later down your path.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there was this homeless dude in from of tesco in islington. i always passed him when popping in for my reduces price croissants. i knew he did not care much for money so occasionally i'd get him a ham sandwich and a beer. he enjoyed both.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Yes, I usually pass out a few coins to the upraised hand. But I do not pay the idiot who comes off the curb tossing a nasty looking sponge at my windsheild and then thinks I owe him for smearing it around on my vidrio.

Der Fish

I agree. The guys that try to clean your windshield in Santiago are quite aggressive. I don't give them coin. I do give the shoe shine kids and the elderly coin.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I have bought a few buckets of chicken for groups of hungry kids. We forget them but they remember us.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I usually give a few coins to cripples, because I can't see how they can survive as they can't work, but recently I have been told that one of the "regulars" spends all the money on drugs and another walks around just fine without crutches, despite the withered leg he displays, when not "working". So now I'm not so sure!

dominican1banger

Jan 6, 2013
its a very tricky issue. for instance, I know this cripple who has a broken arm and he can pop it out of the socket and just shake it like a broken branch. then he goes begging in la vega. after a day's work he just twists it around and pop it back in and back to normal drinking. this is why i think all of the cripples have some kind of trick up there sleeve. and anyways, they always come up to my window to beg. could be at a light with plenty of other cars behind me in front of me next to me. better cars and worse cars, its as if i'm a magnet because they only come up to my window and just stand there (smh)

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
My only problem with the shoe shine guys is when they don't tell me what they charge when they are done, no importa if they say 50 pesos I pay it, but if they shrug and say to pay whatever I want I give them a cinco, no more and I tell them that I know what my work is worth when I work and they should know what theirs is worth. Probablly in truth they get 100 pesos from gringos by not naming a price quite often. I donno.
Der Fish

Those shoe-shine boys can be quite "smart". One gave me a price in advance (can't remember what it was) but when he finished asked for double, because the price he gave was for one shoe only!

Taca?o

Dec 30, 2012
I never give like this. I give to charity, friends, family and other people in safe settings. The oldest trick in the book is to have a beggar there and robbers working with them nearby and when you take the money out they rob you there or later down your path.

Not to burst any bubbles, but you know when paying charities you also pay for the executives?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"NADA!!!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
It degrades them, and you.
Promotes more "Beggers".
Demonstates to children that you don't need to work for a living, just beg for a living!
Donate to charity that helps children iN need!
Most of the beggers, including old women, children, and those cute "babies in arms", are part of a "begging crew".
Mothers actually rent out their newborns!
They don't get to keep the money, but are given a fixed amount, and a quota to meet befre they can go home!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Taca?o

Dec 30, 2012
"NADA!!!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
It degrades them, and you.
Promotes more "Beggers".
Demonstates to children that you don't need to work for a living, just beg for a living!
Donate to charity that helps children iN need!
Most of the beggers, including old women, children, and those cute "babies in arms", are part of a "begging crew".
Mothers actually rent out their newborns!
They don't get to keep the money, but are given a fixed amount, and a quota to meet befre they can go home!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

That's why I give them food.

At the end of the day, it's quite possible that Lil'chico comes to me because he's hired but I should really see that with my own eyes. Till that day, I'm "falling" for the puppy eyes.

Kids can get a pass in my book.

Dec 26, 2011
Just give them your leftovers, if you have some, or a little of the fruit or veggies you just bought on the road. If they're "legit" their smile will vouch for them. No money. And the aggressive window washers that dive onto the windshield without consent get one thing from me- my middle finger.