Using mosquitoes to control Dengue

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I am not sure if this is posted in the proper place. Using invasive species or genetically modified organisms to control disease isn't a new concept, but this video was interesting. The guy in the video is a Biotech entrepreneur who claims he has the answer to the fight against Dengue Fever and eventually Malaria. He gives a description of Dengue, rattles off some worldwide statistics, and then provides examples of current methods for mosquito control and their ineffectiveness. He then suggests using genetically modified, sterile, male mosquitoes as a way to reduce mosquito populations and hence stop Dengue.

He does not discuss the implications for the wider natural eco-system, or how existing mosquito populations could respond, however.

[video]http://www.ted.com/talks/hadyn_parry_re_engineering_mosquitos_to_fight_dise ase.html[/video]

May 29, 2006
That's actually been around for a very long time. They used to zap the males with radiation to make them sterile. They've also done some good things with artificial pheromones and growth hormone inhibitors.

The technique I've heard works really well is to use poison fruit juice for mosquitoes. They all feed on sap until they need to lay eggs.

Low-Cost, Homemade Mosquito Trap - DIY - MOTHER EARTH NEWS

The elephant in the room is still DDT. It was banned from being overused, but in certain applications it is very effective without causing significant environmental damage. All that has to be done is to spray bedroom walls with it and it lasts for years. Bed nets are the current preferred method of control now.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I think I will try your homemade trap before spraying my bedroom walls with it. No kidding elephant in the room. :)

May 29, 2006
Depends on the situation. Malaria kills about a million a year(mostly children) and could in theory be wiped out like Small Pox. It used to exist in the US. If it were as common in the DR as in Africa I'd prob use DDT on a wall. I'm not even sure if it's banned in the DR. The main prob I see is it isn't being used in the prescribed manner.

Should DDT Be Used to Combat Malaria?: Scientific American

Most ex-pats also live in relatively insect proof homes. This wasn't the case 30 years ago...

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I think the new street light invention in Malaysia is a more practical approach in the battle against mosquitoes and all of the diseases they spread.

New Street Lamps Lure Mosquitoes With Fake Human Scents

Changing street lamps might be quite lucrative por politicos looking for a cut, so it might become a reality all over the DR. How many street lights are there in the whole country?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I am not sure if this is posted in the proper place. Using invasive species or genetically modified organisms to control disease isn't a new concept, but this video was interesting. The guy in the video is a Biotech entrepreneur who claims he has the answer to the fight against Dengue Fever and eventually Malaria. He gives a description of Dengue, rattles off some worldwide statistics, and then provides examples of current methods for mosquito control and their ineffectiveness. He then suggests using genetically modified, sterile, male mosquitoes as a way to reduce mosquito populations and hence stop Dengue.

He does not discuss the implications for the wider natural eco-system, or how existing mosquito populations could respond, however.

[video]http://www.ted.com/talks/hadyn_parry_re_engineering_mosquitos_to_fight_dise ase.html[/video]

That is dated 2012.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I think the new street light invention in Malaysia is a more practical approach in the battle against mosquitoes and all of the diseases they spread.

New Street Lamps Lure Mosquitoes With Fake Human Scents

Changing street lamps might be quite lucrative por politicos looking for a cut, so it might become a reality all over the DR. How many street lights are there in the whole country?

Where do I bid on the contract to change light bulbs around the country?