State Dept. warns Americans about Haiti travel

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Just go and be careful. Make sure you have vaccines several weeks beforehand.(Hep A&B, typhoid)

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
I saw this story on NBCNews.com and thought you'd find it interesting.

** State Dept. warns Americans about Haiti travel **
WASHINGTON -- The State Department has issued a revised Haiti travel advisory, warning Americans planning to travel to the Caribbean islan...

State Dept. warns Americans about Haiti travel - Travel on NBCNews.com

I have a good friend from Haiti. He has paperwork that allows him to come the DR at times. He comes often. He tells horror stories sometimes to me about how they kidnap americans and foreigners in haiti. They hold them for ransom and then kill them. Personally, I am too scared to go to Haiti after hearing his stories and warnings.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I would agree with the US State Dept. that unless you must be in Haiti for a specific reason that it can be a dangerous place to travel to. There is plenty of lawlessness, little police presence and a lot of confusion. This adds up to a place with people who have nothing and nothing to loose. Don't be that Gringo that thinks he knows better.

LTSteve

Lavidi

Aug 17, 2011
"Though it has long endured a reputation as a dangerous, lawless place, Haiti is in fact safer than its neighbor, the Dominican Republic, in terms of homicide. Haiti's murder rate in 2011 of 6.9 per 100,000 residents was dwarfed by that of neighboring Dominican Republic, which had a rate of 24.9 for the same period. Jamaica had a murder rate of 40.9 for 2011"

Haitian officials say U.S. travel advisory unwarranted | Reuters

Utilize the same precautions that one would in the DR and you should be fine.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Would trust Haiti to report truthfully. I doubt the government of Haiti is even aware of what the real numbers are.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I have a good friend from Haiti. He has paperwork that allows him to come the DR at times. He comes often. He tells horror stories sometimes to me about how they kidnap americans and foreigners in haiti. They hold them for ransom and then kill them. Personally, I am too scared to go to Haiti after hearing his stories and warnings.
A friend of mine went on vacation with his Haitiana girl friend and had no problems whatsoever. Other than being very expensive (Hotels, food etc.) to him Haiti didn't pose any threat at all.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Would trust Haiti to report truthfully. I doubt the government of Haiti is even aware of what the real numbers are.
I was thinking along the same lines, but rather than assuming Haiti's government is simply lying, I think they are presenting what they detect in their findings.

My biggest issue with some of the data published by the Haitian government is that in Haiti, most of the population doesn't even have some form of documentation or identification. The Haitian government doesn't know that they exist, what their names are, where they live, how old they are, their gender, etc. The population estimates for Haiti have a greater element of speculation than probably of any other country in this hemisphere.

I base this assumption on the large number of Haitian migrants in the DR that lack even the most basic identity documents, such as a Haitian birth certificate or the equivalent of a Haitian c?dula. In fact, this is part of the reason behind the identity crisis within the Haitian migrant community in the DR, since Dominican law requires foreigners to show identity documents issued by their government and then proof of being legally in the DR, before the DR government can offer them or their descendants any Dominican documentation. Plus, Haitian migrants no longer originate from the Artibonite Valley, as was the case for many years. Now they are migrating to the DR from all over Haiti, but the same problem persist.

With a situation like that, you do have to wonder about the data they present, especially since some of their data has changed drastically in the last 2 or 3 years.

Having said that, the Haitian government has to respond to the negative warnings from the US State Department. They are trying to develop some sort of tourism industry, which the country needs very badly, and this type of information is simply not helping. Most tourists will simply not be victims of crime in Haiti or anywhere else, for that matter. These warnings, despite made with good intentions -although there are rumors that the US government tends to be rather harsh against countries that have policies not to their liking, and this is one reason why some people suggest potential travelers to review the warnings from some European governments instead, since they tend to not have this lets call it influence-, simply blow things way out of proportion and causes many more people that would had visited and had a problem free vacation, to not visit.

Lavidi

Aug 17, 2011
The United Nations was the source for the Haiti statistic

The Dominican National Police was the source for the DR statistic

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Does this means that most Haitians have identity papers or is that still a rarity?

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
Haiti does indeed have a lower crime rate than DR and Jamaica.

The problem with Haiti is the unstable political/social situation resulting in sporadic outbreaks of demonstrations.

But these warnings are meaningless as Haiti gets no tourists.

Haiti is best enjoyed by its diaspora and is really no place for foreigners.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I was thinking along the same lines, but rather than assuming Haiti's government is simply lying, I think they are presenting what they detect in their findings.

My biggest issue with some of the data published by the Haitian government is that in Haiti, most of the population doesn't even have some form of documentation or identification. The Haitian government doesn't know that they exist, what their names are, where they live, how old they are, their gender, etc. The population estimates for Haiti have a greater element of speculation than probably of any other country in this hemisphere.

I base this assumption on the large number of Haitian migrants in the DR that lack even the most basic identity documents, such as a Haitian birth certificate or the equivalent of a Haitian c?dula. In fact, this is part of the reason behind the identity crisis within the Haitian migrant community in the DR, since Dominican law requires foreigners to show identity documents issued by their government and then proof of being legally in the DR, before the DR government can offer them or their descendants any Dominican documentation. Plus, Haitian migrants no longer originate from the Artibonite Valley, as was the case for many years. Now they are migrating to the DR from all over Haiti, but the same problem persist.

With a situation like that, you do have to wonder about the data they present, especially since some of their data has changed drastically in the last 2 or 3 years.

Having said that, the Haitian government has to respond to the negative warnings from the US State Department. They are trying to develop some sort of tourism industry, which the country needs very badly, and this type of information is simply not helping. Most tourists will simply not be victims of crime in Haiti or anywhere else, for that matter. These warnings, despite made with good intentions -although there are rumors that the US government tends to be rather harsh against countries that have policies not to their liking, and this is one reason why some people suggest potential travelers to review the warnings from some European governments instead, since they tend to not have this lets call it influence-, simply blow things way out of proportion and causes many more people that would had visited and had a problem free vacation, to not visit.

When Preval first ran.. when was that? 2005 or so? The international community made a big effort to get millions of Haitians issued identity cards for voting. It is true that there is an absence of the State in almost all towns. Often the only birth records are held by the Catholic Church who have baptism records.

I am working with a group here (specifically Las Terrenas) which I hooked up with the former minister of the Diaspora, Edwin Paraison, which is getting identity papers.. birth certificate, passports, visas... into the hands of Haitians here for $1500 pesos which is amazingly cheap but still a lot of money for the Haitians here to come up with. It has been slow going but it is going.

The travel warnings are indeed troublesome. Most of the kidnappings are of Haitian Americans or Haitians from another part of the diaspora.. the kidnappings .. which are now on the decline.. were always arranged inside a group. But internationals cannot identify their citizens as "Haitian American: but just American.

There is an ongoing discussion of these warnings About how lucrative it is for the State Department and NGO workers to have a "danger" posting.. how it increases their salary.

The main issue for me in Haiti is the very high cost. Aside from the fact that their hotels are smaller, and the cooking is better (years of French influence.. not to mention lamb) .....The prices are just higher.

And, yes, there is always an ongoing issue with the possibility of political unrest. And that can cause great and dangerous chaos.

The Peace Corps pulled out completely from Haiti in 2005/ closed their operation which meant that they did not anticipate going back in the near future. I would look to the reopening of the Peace Corps as a sign that all is calm,

I am not holding my breath

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Haiti does indeed have a lower crime rate than DR and Jamaica.
Hmm...

Index_zps2db71d40.jpg

FTI Consulting Publishes 2014 Latin America Security Index | FTI Consulting

silkesmo

Jan 17, 2014
I would agree with the US State Dept. that unless you must be in Haiti for a specific reason that it can be a dangerous place to travel to. There is plenty of lawlessness, little police presence and a lot of confusion. This adds up to a place with people who have nothing and nothing to loose. Don't be that Gringo that thinks he knows better.

LTSteve

Ummmm. I think you just described the Dominican Republic LoL

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com