10 Year visa

G

GringoCarlos

I have several old friends here in DR who have 10 year visas , and they don't have to buy a Tourist Visa every time they come into the DR, or stand in line for immigration when they come in, they just show their stamped visa in their passports and walk on out to Aduanas in the airport. They said they got them in the DR consulate , and it is only possible to get this in the US BEFORE you come down. It is valid for 10 years.

Can anyone tell me if this is still available at the DR consulate in Miami, as well as the cost, and the hours they are open in Miami??

Muchas gracias.

B

bubba

I Don't think so

Most passports issued by almost every country usually expire after 5 years. A visa is good for only the paasport it was issued in.

M

me

Re: I Don't think so

This statement is not correct at all.

My passport (German - European) is valid for 10 years, also you can use your old UNVALID passport with the valid visa together with your NEW passport. I did this personally with a US 10 year visa.

H

HongKong Fooey

Anyone over 18 gets the choice of a 5 or 10 year passport in the US. Under 18 you have to get the 5 year (since your face changes too much I suppose)

B

bubba

I Stand Corrected

I never heard of that before but If you did than I stand corrected.

E

ECH,

Not quite correct. You must still pass through immigration, however, you do not need a tourist card if you have a multiple entry tourist visa. Suggest you get this in Washington, D.C. simply because it is FREE at the Dominican Consulate in D.C.
Other consulates charge money and this is their way of obtaining revenue to support their consulate and activities. You send your passport (via Registered Mail) to the Dominican Consulate in Washington with the request for a 10 year tourist visa. Also, as a matter of note, tourist cards are only valid for 90 days visit. Ten year multiple entry visa is valid for the life of the visa. And, as a matter of note, never throw away your old canceled passport. It can facilitate getting a new one in a foreign country if yours is stolen or lost. Also, you can re-enter the U.S.A. on a canceled passport; you can not travel on one.

G

GringoCarlos

Note: A DR Tourist Visa is only valid for 60 DAYS (officially), but they will usually let it slide, as was explained to me by Immigration on my last exit from the airport.

SO, regarding a 10 year DR multiple entry visa, I CAN GET ONE in Miami at the DR Consulate, but no one knows how much it costs for sure? This is still cheaper than paying for tourist cards if one goes in or out every year. (I personally will never set foot in Washington, even if the visa is free, and they PAID my way to go there, as I am allergic to the type of slime that is always present there (sorry, but that's MY opinion).

If anyone knows the cost in Miami, please post. Muchas gracias.

R

rubio

well i actually had a one year tourist visa, it cost $65 in 1999, it maybe more now, but i didn't have to pay for $10 tourist card each time i traveled, and i got it at the DR consulate in NYC

D

Duck

Re: I Stand Corrected

I also travel with visas attached to a canceled US Passport (and of course my current passport). If I can avoid it I do, but it is possible.

D

Danielle

How did you get in without paying $10?

I had a one year visa and flew twice into POP. Everytime I came in I didn't have to pay but on leaving I was told both times that ALL people (Dominicans and tourists) have to pay the $10 to leave? Did all of you pay on leaving???

P

Pib

The cheap solution

If you're a ship or airplane crew member who signed off in DR you don't have to pay the 10 bucks. Being a sailor has a few advantages.

R

Richard

Re: The cheap solution

Friends who live in Sosua tell me that anyone with residence don't have to pay the ten bucks right or wrong???