Telephone and Internet.....why together?

Ama

Sep 5, 2007
I'm paying a lot! For some reason , getting internet had to get the house phone and of course even if not using it I still have to pay for it...a lot.! Are there other options? I want internet but do not want house phone...what can I do about it....Live in Puerto Plata.
Help!

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
There are actually several options. Claro, for instance, offers a plan Internet only. They will still install the phone line, but you won't have phone service, just data through the modem.
There are also the options offered by almost all phone companies to get a wireless 3G modem, which is also a wifi access point, so you can connect using wifi and some even have an ethernet port to conected by wire.
And then, there are the USB-Internet thingies, that you connect through your USB port of your computer.
Of course, speeds beyond 1.5 mbps are only available with the first option.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
There are actually several options. Claro, for instance, offers a plan Internet only. They will still install the phone line, but you won't have phone service, just data through the modem.
There are also the options offered by almost all phone companies to get a wireless 3G modem, which is also a wifi access point, so you can connect using wifi and some even have an ethernet port to conected by wire.
And then, there are the USB-Internet thingies, that you connect through your USB port of your computer.
Of course, speeds beyond 1.5 mbps are only available with the first option.

I've tried to get internet from Claro without the phone and that had to be specially requested at headquarters. I've got internet through the cable company now, a couple of bucks more per month but I didn't have to sign a long term contract.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
I have the orange flybox, only internet, 1300p a month, works ok while I'm in Mulata II, in the hills
no contract, I go to the office and pay every month... quite convenient for me.
I dont really care about the speed
:)

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I'll chime in here.. I tried to get claro internet without the phone service, and they told me it ain't happening. Castle, How in the world did you get it?

The best they did for me was 400 minutes of free phone calls(which I don't use), and 2 Mbps internet for 1700 and change per month.

No, I did not get it. They offered to me like a year ago (I was switching providers, previously in Tricom). But the price difference between that service and the 400 min plan with internet included was negligible, so I opted for the phone line also.
If they are not offering it now then I guess it was an experiment that didn't work out...
I forgot to add that if you have and android smartphone, you can with just one tap make your phone work as a wifi access point, so you can connect all the devices you want through the phone's 3G connection. This is called tethering, and I know iphones and Blackberries can do it too, but through a wire, AFAIK...