Bringing prescription medication into the DR

A

Amy

I will be visiting and have several different medications that I take on a regular basis. Will I have any trouble with customs or is there anything I should know to guarantee no problems with this? Feel free to email with the answer or post a reply. Thanks so much for your help!

K

KenDP

We have never experienced any trouble, not even with prescription medicine sent to us from the US.

If you arrive with a group, you probably will be waived right through customs anyway. Foreign tourists are VIPs.

K

Keith

Like with KenDP,

I have never had any problems whatsoever with this. Furthermore, my parents have sent down (FED-EX) up to a years supply of medicine for a friend of theirs that lives here and also have never experienced any sort of problem. Hope this helps.

E

Eddy

Bring it with you. Medication here is very expensive and not always available. No problems whatsoever with customs.

E

ECH, M.D.

Re: ORIGINAL CONTAINERS

Amy, just bring the medications in their ORIGINAL containers and there will be no problems. Just as a note, it is illegal to MAIL prescription medications to the USA. You may hand carry but not mail.

E

Ed and Mame

Re: ORIGINAL CONTAINERS

Original containers is how we did it with no problem - not even a glance at them by authorities. However, "just in case..." we carried a letter - in our medications bag - from our doctor, listing all medications (even vitamins/minerals) that we have and/or need. Didn't have to present that letter, not once, anywhere. So, either there is no check on RX's at all OR maybe the no-check was due to the fact that they were in original containers. Good point for first-timers to know.

-Ed and Mame-

M

Matt

Just got back from the DR. We were not even searched at POP airport. Just "Have a good time" unlike some of the horor stories I have read here. We even brought some pharmaceuticals for friends. Matt