Air Conditioning in DR: Necessary? Costs?

Hannah Wiley

Jan 9, 2013
Hi friendly dr1 people!

I am planning on moving to DR some time this month. Most of the rental owners I have spoken with make it very clear that Aircon is not included in the rental price. So...I understand that it must be quite expensive?

How easy is it to get by without Aircon? Will I be melting? I am already cold-blooded and I hated it when my office co-workers pumped up the Aircon to arctic levels. That said, living in Barcelona for the last 8 years, I don't think I would have survived the Augusts without Aircon. I can handle 80s pretty well with just fans. 90s and above, not so much.

So my questions:

1. If I just use a fan there on DR (north coast area - Cabarete, Cabrera, Sosua -haven't found a place yet), do y'all think I'll be ok? Or will I need Aircon to stay sane?

2. If I use aircon very lightly (only at certain times during the day and not all night), how much do you think I would have to pay every month. Just one person living in the apartment.

Thanks!

***PS: I am looking for a nice place - studio, 1 bedroom (or anything above) for one person (myself) in the north coast area, preferably close to tennis courts and withing walking/cycling distance to a near-by town. Cabarete, Sosua, Cabrera, Las Terrenas all look nice. Responsible US woman. ***

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
We live in Las Terrenas and have no air conditioning, never felt the need for it, good big ceiling fans, yes definitely. When you go to bed just sleep in the noddy and then in the early hours you can always pull a sheet over you.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
We live in Las Terrenas and have no air conditioning, never felt the need for it, good big ceiling fans, yes definitely. When you go to bed just sleep in the noddy and then in the early hours you can always pull a sheet over you.

1. Buy KDK ceiling fans and maybe 1 KDK pedestal fan, the ceiling fans are about 3000 and the pedestal fan is about 4000. I lived in Miami prior to moving here so I haven't felt any real heat here in the DR yet. The weather of the DR reminds me much more of my time in San Diego than Florida.

2. If you run 1 air conditioner 8 hours per day, I would assume that ALONE would be about 100$ a month to run, this is a very rough estimate but when I lived in Cabarete I had 2 ACs running full time and the electricity bill was 500$ a month (was included in rent so I didn't care). William osterman at the casablanca hotel in Cabarete helped me find my place and he was a pretty straightforward guy.

Dominican Republic Real Estate | Houses, Condos, Property for Sale | Prestige Realty

809-935-0809 ask for William

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am in POP and i manage without aircon, mush to despair of miesposo who, like all dominicans, like to crank up the cold. we have a standing fan used at night, directed at miesposo, i sleep with my head covered for it bothers me.
in any case, there are but a few days in the year when it is unbearably hot, but even then a fan or two will do, i guess.

the cost of power bill with AC will vary, deepening on your electricity provider and the use. some pay below 100 dollars a month, some pay 500 or more.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I think you said elsewhere that you budget for an apartment is $300 - 400 per month and you certainly won't get aircon for that. I live in Cabarete away from the sea all your round without it but if you can't stand temperatures in the 90s with just a fan you could find it difficult in the summer months.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
2. If you run 1 air conditioner 8 hours per day, I would assume that ALONE would be about 100$ a month to run,
We run one 7500btu unit 8 hours a day and our total bill varies, depending on season, between RD$3200-3800mo.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I am planning on moving to DR some time this month. Most of the rental owners I have spoken with make it very clear that Aircon is not included in the rental price. So...I understand that it must be quite expensive?

Do they say AC not included or electricity not included?

Where I live we rent electricity not included. This is because there is no way to calculate how much to charge in rent if electricity is included. If you assume that renters will keep the AC running 24/7 and the hot water heater turned on, then the rent will be too high for most to be interested in renting. If you don't protect yourself,. then at least some renters will use so much electricity there is little left in profit from the rental. Already in this short thread there is a post from someone who kept things on because it was included in rental price so didn't care.

Renters do care if they know they have to pay for the electricity.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
We used aircon for one month this year. Our bill was US$95. The rest of the year it varies between US$45 and 65 depending on how much we use the fans. We are in Punta Cana where costs are a little higher than most other parts of the country but we never have blackouts, unlike most other parts of the country. We are in a fourth floor apartment with good cross breezes.

trucker

Mar 20, 2011
Rent an apartment on the 2nd floor with windows on the east side to catch the breeze. Also apartment above you the ceiling won't be so hot from the sun on the concrete ceiling. Trees help a lot also on the west side. Luck.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
1. Buy KDK ceiling fans and maybe 1 KDK pedestal fan, the ceiling fans are about 3000 and the pedestal fan is about 4000. I lived in Miami prior to moving here so I haven't felt any real heat here in the DR yet. The weather of the DR reminds me much more of my time in San Diego than Florida.

2. If you run 1 air conditioner 8 hours per day, I would assume that ALONE would be about 100$ a month to run, this is a very rough estimate but when I lived in Cabarete I had 2 ACs running full time and the electricity bill was 500$ a month (was included in rent so I didn't care).

A couple of comments on this:

1. Do you work for KDK? Other good brands are available! :cheeky:

2: Don't you think it's a tad irresponsible to say you cranked up a $500 electricity bill a month and didn't care because you weren't paying? Your landlord sure would have cared and if everyone used like this the rental for all would have to increase. And that's not thinking about the environmental costs... !

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Santiago. Must have A/C to sleep. Especially in the summer months. Two A/C units non-stop 24/7 set at 72. Price ? If you have to ask .............

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012

2: Don't you think it's a tad irresponsible to say you cranked up a $500 electricity bill a month and didn't care because you weren't paying? Your landlord sure would have cared and if everyone used like this the rental for all would have to increase. And that's not thinking about the environmental costs... !

1. Nope.. but they're the only fans I would suggest.

2. I'm Dominican, don't care about environmental costs.. the rent I was paying was high enough to where I know for a fact that landlord was making money even with the 500$ a month electricity bills.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
1. Nope.. but they're the only fans I would suggest.

2. I'm Dominican, don't care about environmental costs.. the rent I was paying was high enough to where I know for a fact that landlord was making money even with the 500$ a month electricity bills.

Ah - Dominican! That's OK then! :knockedou

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
a fan blowing on you will be ok, even in the hottest months. Problem will arise when the electricity goes off and you are left with nothing. My first night without electricity I thought I would have a nervous breakdown and threatened to go to a hotel. Family laughed at me. You get used to it.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"KDK" ceiling fans don't get a prize for,"Most Beautiful", just for "Most Powerful"!!!!!!!!!
It's like having a "Heliochopter" strapped to the ceiling!
And, on the #5 setting, it sounds like one to!
At #s 2 to 3 it's "OK".
Ihave 3 of them, and 6 normal ceiling fans that look "pretty" but don't "Blow":ermm::ermm::ermm:
, but they do "SUCK"!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::rolleyes::laugh::laugh::laugh:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

I don't have air conditioning and have been here for 10 years in Cabarete. Also recommend KDK fans over the others available here.

jaxter

Aug 24, 2012
We run one 7500btu unit 8 hours a day and our total bill varies, depending on season, between RD$3200-3800mo.

What would a 7500 btu window ac cost in DR because my shipping company is charging me $125 to ship a 5000 btu and $225 to ship a 12000 btu.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I've been here in Santiago since 2006 and don't have ac. I did grow up in the SE US where it gets much hotter but still it can get a little muggy for a couple of weeks here in August.

We just use cheap floor fans not even on the highest setting as we all get pituita.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
A lot of people who rent apartments do not include electricity in the monthly price. I would definitely clarify this. I live in LT and during the Winter months Dec-April you do not need air conditioning. If you plan on living in the DR all year long you will definitely need air cond. from probably May-Sept. I is very hot and humid during the Summer. In Las Terrenas we have a privately owned electric company. The electricity flow is very reliable but the overall price for the service is higher. My bill runs me on average during the Winter about $135-150usd per month. If I used air cond. at night the bill would probably be $85-$100 dollars a month higher. Like I said I don't use it and I put in a window fan and draw in the cool air at night and also use a ceiling fan if necessary. I also live close to the ocean and get off shore breezes.

LTSteve