Medina's Literacy Campaign Has Started

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

[h=5]Last Friday, 4 January employees of the Ministry of Education started to distribute educational packages to many organizations to combat illiteracy. Dozens of companies, civil society organizations, sports clubs, churches, government agencies and universities signed in for the project. The packages consist of a textbook, notebooks, pencils, flipchart, T-shirts and caps. Since Monday, January 7 the first group of 60,000 illiterates become lessons in language skills. Every teacher should accompany 15 students. Monday, President Danilo Medina started officially the literacy campaign with a speech.[/h]
[h=5]The aim of this campaign is that within three years 850,000 illiterates learn to read and write.[/h]

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
with the new reforma fiscal dominicans have more pressing matters than 4% para educacion...
wsuvk3.jpg

May 29, 2006
One thing that would help for literacy would be access to more kids books. I can't find them in Spanish in the US either and they are stupid expensive online. Got my GF's kid a book in Spanish and he really loved reading aloud from it. He had to stop to digest what he had just read after each sentence, but he was very excited. I'd be happy just to get a Calvin and Hobbes book in Spanish, but even that is hard to find or crazy expensive.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if i remember it right the estimated number of illiterate in DR is 727.000. officially, so god know how many there are. total population: just about 9.9 million. population under 15 years of age - 31%, from 15 to 24 years - 19%. i assume those two groups are most likely to be educated, even at the most basic level (includes small babies to young to learn). so, in total 50% of the population are adults. so, 4.950.000 people. 727k is nearly 15%. and this is optimistic government calculation. take out foreigners (including haitians) and you will find that the fifth of dominicans cannot read or write!

wow. just WOW.

May 29, 2006
I'm sure that number is prob higher when it comes to functional literacy. More folks can read than write even a basic note. My ex-GF considered herself a reader, but when I read a grocery list, it was pretty much phonetic. Now you've got folks who can text but have no idea how to write real words...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
peter, then we'd get to absolutely scary numbers of something like 50% of all adults.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
and he is most likely correct. i looked at some articles about poland and europe right now and even there the numbers of functional illiterates are unbelievably high.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
and he is most likely correct. i looked at some articles about poland and europe right now and even there the numbers of functional illiterates are unbelievably high.

the state of education, in general , is so pathetic, i do not hold out much hope in the near future. i do not think 5 out of a hundred people here have the faintest idea where Trinidad is.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
gorgon, the scary part is not in not knowing where trinidad is. it's not being able to find out. not being able to look it up in printed encyclopedia or not being able to google it. and then, eventually, not being able to make anything out of seeing it on a map...

May 29, 2006
That's rather an odd metric. On the other hand I met a guy last summer who was 30 and had no idea where Cuba was, and he was a store manager. My nieces, who are 7 and 9 can already ID all the states, but their mom is a Kindergarten teacher.

It seems to me literacy may even be going down. Now that there is TVs in so many homes, who needs romance novels when there are the telenovelas on every day?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
That's rather an odd metric. On the other hand I met a guy last summer who was 30 and had no idea where Cuba was, and he was a store manager. My nieces, who are 7 and 9 can already ID all the states, but their mom is a Kindergarten teacher.

It seems to me literacy may even be going down. Now that there is TVs in so many homes, who needs romance novels when there are the telenovelas on every day?

ok, try this metric. my buddy from Providenciales in the Turks and Caicos was conversing with a Dominican thirty something, not so long ago. the guy asked him if it snows there.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The criteria for defining literacy are often inadequate. In some countries it was enough for the person to be able to write their name for the government to declare their literacy campaign a success.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The criteria for defining literacy are often inadequate. In some countries it was enough for the person to be able to write their name for the government to declare their literacy campaign a success.

ABSOLUTELY!!
great observation. some time back, i saw a list of countries, and their qualifications for a person to be considered literate. the standard of measurement was far higher in places like Barbados, then the DR. In certain countries, it was more than being able to sound out a word, but being able to apply it in a sentence. i am going to try and find that list on the web.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It's just yet one more "SCAM"!!!!!!!!!!
The government just gave out contracts for 10s of thousands of classroom desks.
That will be counted in the 4%
To bad that 50% of the cost of the new desks will go for "Kick Backs" not the kids!
The "Work book" scam goes on every school year.
I pay as much as 800 pesos for each school book, actually it is a soft cover work book.
About 30,000 for my three in graade school, and highschool alone.
My stepson's univ. tuition is now 25,000 pesos per semester.
Last year it was only 17,000.
The government gives the OK to publish the books to only two connected publishers.
Imagine the Billions of pesos kicked back to the government ministers who control those contracts????
The really poor kids can't go to school, because their parents can't afford the books, or the uniforms!
"Beer, Rum, cell phones, "Nike" everything,yes.
Books and Uniforms, "No Puedo"!!!
"No tengo"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
It's just yet one more "SCAM"!!!!!!!!!!
The government just gave out contracts for 10s of thousands of classroom desks.
That will be counted in the 4%
To bad that 50% of the cost of the new desks will go for "Kick Backs" not the kids!
The "Work book" scam goes on every school year.
I pay as much as 800 pesos for each school book, actually it is a soft cover work book.
About 30,000 for my three in graade school, and highschool alone.
My stepson's univ. tuition is now 25,000 pesos per semester.
Last year it was only 17,000.
The government gives the OK to publish the books to only two connected publishers.
Imagine the Billions of pesos kicked back to the government ministers who control those contracts????
The really poor kids can't go to school, because their parents can't afford the books, or the uniforms!
"Beer, Rum, cell phones, "Nike" everything,yes.
Books and Uniforms, "No Puedo"!!!
"No tengo"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

in the PUBLIC system the text books are free, and the uniformis cheap, even by poor peoples standards. You pay 625 dollars per semester for university - peaunuts. In the first world they change a few words in the text for each year and you have to buy it from one supplier and the price will be higher than your step-son tuition- just for book. I guess you've got it pretty good.