The Economy of Love

M

Marilyn

This is an excerpt from DR1 news of Monday, August 13:

The economy of love

El Caribe newspaper reports that the DR is the third country in levels of remittances (behind Mexico and Brazil) and the second in remittances per inhabitant in the Americas with US$230 per person per year, only surpassed by El Salvador. In 2000, the DR received US$1,877.4 million in money sent home from relatives abroad, or 10% of the Gross Domestic Product. The money is more than double the National Budget for education and health.

One in every five Dominicans (1.6 million people) receives money from abroad. Remittances make up 47% of the income of the poor people who receive it. The World Bank study shows that despite the slowdown of the world economy, remittances keep growing. In the past five years, they have increased 16.3%. An estimated two million Dominicans have migrated to the US, where 80% of the money shipments come from. Of these, one million live in the metropolitan area of New York City. An estimated 50,000 Dominicans live in Spain.

R

rubio

very nice, not a surprise at all. i remember last weeks flame war over the dominican yorks, hopefully they will read this and be quite, but i doubt it

G

Gini

Not to forget the support from the Tourists felling
in Love with the Country and his people coming back
again and again with a lots of gifts and spendig
a lot of money to support their "Vacation-Love" and
la familia without beeing a family-member! You have to
count this to. Who is gona tell me where all that
money comes from for does brand new cars what I
have seen in the last few years, and I'm not
talking about peanuts, big Trucks, Jeeps over
80'000 $US ??????? My status of live is not bad,
but I never have seen so many expensive cars in
one place, at the same time in my country.
Sometimes it over comes me that I wish I would
get the same support for almost free.