Wire transfer

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Can anyone tell me why it is taking so long to get a wire transfer from canada to Dr. 12 days and counting.

dropshort

May 18, 2008
Wire transfers I have made from Canada to Banco Popular $US to $US Account have
been completed from withing a day to the next banking day.

A Transfer from Canada to Banco Popular $CA to $RD did 10 to 14 days.
The problem was the Banco Popular International or perhaps the Central Bank.

The destination bank and recipient was the same in both cases just different accounts $US or $RD

I do transfers several time a year.

DS

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Mine is US dollars to Us dollars. Bank of montreal to Santa cruz here. very frustrating

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have done both US and Cdn dollars - Scotia to Scotia.... 3-4 days maximum.

Trace your wire.... 12 days would make me nervous..... they can be retracted if you demand it.

Feb 7, 2007
12 days certainly does not sound right. If your transfer was over 10k USD it may have gotten held up, but in that case BSC should have contacted you. You can start a trace as an originator with your originating bank. Back in 1997 I made a mistake with a wire to France, changed a digit in an account number. Went to BNP Paribas,a nd it actually got deposited into a wrong account. It took over 6 weeks and step-in form my country's consulate to get this resolved.

12 days, if you did an error, your transfer should have already bounced. It may have been deposited to a wrong account or is being held up somewhere. Contact your originating bank and do that trace ASAP.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
A dollar to dollar transfer shouldn't take more than two or three days, WW is right, have it traced

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Often, especially if its the first time you are dealing with a wire transfer with a bank, its something very simple like they cannot match your name or number because of a spelling mistake or mistype, or they are looking in the wrong place, in the meantime the bank can use the money to finance other parts of their operation. I have had wire tranfers 'lost' and then all of a sudden they find out that the money has been there all along. Dont try to make sense out of it, the lack for attention to detail combined with Dominican customer service attitudes, cause all kinds of frustration down here.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Are you positive the Bank of Montreal sent it??? It happened to me twice that my bank in Canada said they sent it but when checked, the transfer was still sitting there.

Feb 20, 2011
Those wire transfer forms are tricky and many of the bank tellers are not very experienced doing them when it goes to a country other than the US or Canada, as it involves a intermediary bank.
Usually should take no more than 4 days but it took for me once 10 days because the teller had put in the form the beneficiary name and address in Higuey (instead of myself) as sender (but with my account number) and also as beneficiary.
Took them a while to figure that one out.
Definitely take the wire transfer form to your bank and have them double check the information.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The money may have arrived at your DR bank in 3 or 4 days.
They just like to use it for a week or so.
When this gets figured out, let us know the sent date, and the received date at the DR bank.
CCCCCCC

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I have done it once before but for a smaller amount to make sure it didnt get lost. Also it was over the xmas season and it took total of 7 days including weekends etc....It didnt come through until I had it traced and bang same day. This time it is large amount and had it traced and it is here in DR but santa cruz says no....my thought are as conchman.....the bank is using my money for a awhile until I make noise at the bank and get thrown out

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
It's all smoke and mirrors.

Personal checks from the U.S. cashed at a Cambio in the D.R. show up as cashed the next day in the American bank account.

Amazing that when the bank is the one getting paid, it's almost instantly, yet when you send it here for yourself, they claim it takes many, many days.

A paper check gets cleared right away, a wire transfer takes forever?

"R"

dropshort

May 18, 2008
Transfers between two institutions take one day. However if an intermediary bank is used the transfer takes one day to the intermediary bank and one day the the destination bank. 2 days. If the destination bank does not have a business relationship with the intermediary bank a fee may/will be charged and deducted from the transferred amount. No receipt will provided for the fee taken. If the transfer is a business transaction you may not be able to justify the expense at tax time.

Homeland Security: We know where all the money is going is a crock!!!

DominicanQuest

Oct 22, 2012
Anyone know of a bank here in the DR where I can take my Bank of America ATM card INSIDE the bank to withdraw funds? Sorry to get off topic - but this is an alternative to doing a wire transfer for me. Bonus - If its possible - what is the fee? Thanks

gandolf50

Apr 17, 2011
The truth is, all wire transfers happen on the same day. Unless one of the banks is "outside" of the normal banking system (think credit union). The money might not appear in the account until the next day when the computer updates the accounts. Checks also "clear" with in 48 hours WORLDWIDE! BUT many times the bank waits for the "paperwork to catch up" ( the actual check) . Most banks hold the money longer, they call this the "float". This is when the banks are playing with your money for free. The US instituted laws many years ago limiting the time "banks" (not credit unions) can hold your money.

dropshort

May 18, 2008
DQ.

I may be wrong but I seem to recall that you can use a BoA ATM card in Scotiabank ATM free of fee.
It is likely they will accept the BofA inside as well. I agree with avoiding ATM machines.

I have had an account in Scotiabank continuously for over 60 years. I am in process of moving to a different bank.

When I use Banco Popular, I tip the security guard $100RD about twice a month. I have never had a problem using Banco Popular.

Feb 7, 2007
Rogerjac, if your sending bank says it's in Santa Cruz, it's there but maybe Santa Cruz does not know it. Ask your bank to re-send the SWIFT message to BSC, their SWIFT code is SCRZDOSD. Becaus ethe funds go through intermediary bank, the SWIFT message says what to do with those funds. if the SWIFT message got mishandled or not delivered, the bank (BSC) may not even know the funds are at the corresponding (intermediary) bank until they do a month-end conciliation. So ask your originating bank to work on your behalf, and they MUST communicate with BSC via SWIFT, and BSC MUST reply them. those are the rules.