U.S personal check time frame to clear

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Does anyone know long it would take for a U.S. check to clear in a DR bank deposited into a dollar account? Thanks in advance.Found and old thread going back 4 years or so,wondering if things have improved.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think it will be a long time.... better to 'cambio' it and deposit the cash

The closer the cambio to the banco, the better.

I just did that for $2,000 us..... instant cash in the account and no wire fees on either end...:lick:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Working or calendar days? In BanReservas it was 45 working days which is about 9 weeks. It may have improved in the last couple of years but I won't be putting it to the test.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
BHD took five weeks to clear a check we deposited in our dollars account. An online check with my US bank showed it cleared them in 3 days. Aggravating

This was last March

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Basically, you are making an unauthorized loan to the Dominican bank of your choice.
THEY determine to length of the loan,not you!
I cashed a 3,000 dollar check with my favorite "Casa de Cambio" this morning.
I got the money in my hand, and stopped at Banreservas to pay off my Banreservas Credit Card.
That way, the "Casa de Cambio" is giving you a loan!
Until the check clears your account.
Years ago it could take a week to clear my Boston bank.
Now 2 days tops.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Thanks everyone for the responses.Now CC as far as casa de cambio,don't you think that you become a bigger target? I mean people know you coming out of there with cash.I'm trying to be as discreet as possible.also you mentioned two days,so you give the cambio the U.S. check you comeback for the money in two day's time?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
THEY, meaning "WHO"?????
I realize that's what the "Casas" do, but when the banks get your money from your USA account, they can sit on it as long as they want, before depositing in your account.
CC

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
When you give the check to the casa,you said it takes two days.you get the money right away or do you get it in two days?

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
When you give the check to the casa,you said it takes two days.you get the money right away or do you get it in two days?

Where are you and the check?

It took us many years to prove our relationship with a money changer. We can call and give him a check amount to be changed that is .. large for.... any amount with no delay or questions. He does like it when we call for the large amounts and always has it. He does this for our "friends" too based on a long and honest relationship.

Bring your check to me and you will have cash as fast as they can count it out. Rate is very good and the SERVICE outstanding. Never had a bad bill and never have had a problem. NO Bank needed.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I hand the "Casa my US dollar check, they give me US dollars, or pesos back.
Right then & there.
After that, I don't care how long it takes to clear my US bank account.
When I bought my house in SD, 15 years ago, I cashed on dollar check for $60,000 US, and later for $80,000 US.
Don't think I just walked in with my checks, and walked out with the pesos.
I already had an over 10 year track record with the owner.
I asked him how large of my pesonal check he would exchange, he said "$100,000 US".
And that was over 15 years ago.
I walked out with a "gym bag" full of pesos, which took Banreservas over 2 hours, with three tellers, to verify as legit!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
pm you I meant

I know what you were talking about with the danger aspect of cashing big checks with a cambio.. There have been a lot of robberies that have happened after people cash large checks with them, a notable one happened in La Vega after a woman cashed a 10,000 US check at the Parque de las Flores and was followed all the way back to Burende (where she lived) and was shot. The way I do things here now, is I withdraw cash from my US bank, 10k RD at a time, and it costs me precisely 248.00 for each withdrawal, that's a 40.32 exchange rate which is pretty damn good actually. Sometimes I am even a bit scared that there are people watching me if I withdraw too much at the same time, but that risk would exist anywhere in the world.

Feb 7, 2007
For those with US account or US Social Security Number, Fidelity, and ING Direct (now CapitalOne 360) offers free ATM withdrawals worldwide and no currency exchange fee. I got 40.31 from Fidelity and 40.37 ING, same time, same ATM. After it finally settles (prob Monday or Tuesday) I will see which one has really a "better" rate...anyway 40.31 is still good.