Driver licence renewal ?

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Hello,

There was a sticky on this subject but it's closed and the DGTT website is down or under construction so I'm asking here. Whats the process of renewing a DL and what happens if it's expired ?, do you need to start the whole process over again or is there a little lee way if it's expired ??.

Thank you

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Samana but can go to Santo Domingo...

I don't have any experience in SD with this, but I would not worry about expired. Every Dominican is late here so that should not be an issue. Just go to the Motor Vehicle office with your license and Cedula and you should have no problems.

On the North Coast or Higuey I could help you.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
SKY, Mr. AE has a Dominican driver's license that expired 30 years ago, he's going to try to renew it in Santo Domingo. I said I want to come and videotape their faces when he tries.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
SKY, Mr. AE has a Dominican driver's license that expired 30 years ago, he's going to try to renew it in Santo Domingo. I said I want to come and videotape their faces when he tries.

If his Cedula is current I bet he gets it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i did the renewal in POP just few months ago. i believe i even posted a short recap but i am too lazy to look it up :)
basically what you do is go to the nearest banreservas and pay at the cashier for the renewal of the license. they will ask you to see your old license and cedula to have them ready. i cannot remember what is the renewal fee but less than 1000 pesos.

then you do to your local ministerio de transporte. i know that POP has one so there should be one in samana or nagua. you show your slip, they take a copy of that plus a copy of the cedula. you take eye test. then they take the picture, the fingerprint and confirm your data. 10 minutes later you have your new license ready. i am pretty sure they do not care how expired the old one was but do not arrive in your car and park defiantly in front of the office, ok? just leave the car around the corner :)

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Hello,

There was a sticky on this subject but it's closed and the DGTT website is down or under construction so I'm asking here. Whats the process of renewing a DL and what happens if it's expired ?, do you need to start the whole process over again or is there a little lee way if it's expired ??.

Thank you
If your driver's license is expired less than 5 years it will be renewed without problems, more than 5 years you start it all over again.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
i did the renewal in POP just few months ago. i believe i even posted a short recap but i am too lazy to look it up :)
basically what you do is go to the nearest banreservas and pay at the cashier for the renewal of the license. they will ask you to see your old license and cedula to have them ready. i cannot remember what is the renewal fee but less than 1000 pesos.

then you do to your local ministerio de transporte. i know that POP has one so there should be one in samana or nagua. you show your slip, they take a copy of that plus a copy of the cedula. you take eye test. then they take the picture, the fingerprint and confirm your data. 10 minutes later you have your new license ready. i am pretty sure they do not care how expired the old one was but do not arrive in your car and park defiantly in front of the office, ok? just leave the car around the corner :)

That sounds great. So I have the receipt from Banreservas and then no drivers test nothing? Just eyetest, foto, boom, ready? No money to pay at the local ministerio de transporte? I will go to the Puerto Plata one...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Anybody able to update this ??

800 pesos or so then the renewal office....

Thinking about this, I bet BanReservas knows the location of the mobile office....

I'll be checking Rio San Juan - I hear they renew now, if only a few days a week.... rumour only on that

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Just to clarify, if you are not Dominican is it your cedula or your residency card you need to show? When I renewed mine they wanted the residency card. I don't recall needing to take the eyetest either!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Just to clarify, if you are not Dominican is it your cedula or your residency card you need to show? When I renewed mine they wanted the residency card. I don't recall needing to take the eyetest either!

take both, just in case. when i renewed (it's been few years now) it was only cedula. my eye test was limited to "read this line, ok, you are fine".

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
When I did my eye test for the original licence I just kept reading line after line right down to the tiny letters on the bottom line but as I was saying the letters in english she had no more idea than I did whether I was right or not. LOL

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
OK, I am renewed !

The mobile truck is truly a moving target,,, Nagua for a month, then Nagua el Factor
Finally, after one month it returned to Rio San juan

Ban Reservas...833 pesos
Copies of License and cedula at bank.

Mobile office.... go to desk (not trailer) and register - get a slip of paper.
Take new paper, license, cedula, Ban Reservas receipt -- todo, to the trailer (aka Mobile Office)

There you are 'processed' - foto & fingerprint..... new tarjeta handed over.

Done.........

They just write 20/20 for the eye section - no testing.(they seemed blind to my white cane)
Your signature is copied from the old one... no signing req'd

Not hard if the internet is cooperating (it wasn't)

No real Spanish needed.
They know why you're there and are helpful.