Newbie questions from an experienced traveler..

C

Costa

Hi all,
This is a great board. OK, here goes:
I've been around in the world but its the first time to the DR. Go figure...I live on the East Coast of the US and its so close.
Anyway, no offense to anyone, I really don't like the tourist haunts and prefer to get into the mix of things. Yeah, yeah...I know the DR can be dangerous but common sense should prevail no matter where you go. I'm thinking of renting a car once I get out of SD and driving around through the country for a week. I'd like to get a day or two in Santo Domingo and was thinking of Santiago and the North Coast.
I realize this is gonna be very ambiguous, but "Any thoughts?"
What to do in Santiago? Puerto Plata vs. Sosua? Your favorite place to hang with the locals? (I speak Spanish pretty well)
Thanks

PS This is not spam, just for informational purposes:
I run a Cuba site at www.cubanonet.com There's a very active bulletin board there if you're looking for Cuba info or just want to talk about Cuba

R

rubio

Re: Newbie questions from an experienced traveler.

well, it sounds like you got it together , if you speak spanish enjoy!! it is a very friendly country

C

christy

Keep in mind Costa, that it is a very large country. If you are planning on renting a car for a week I think you may need a "plan" because you will not have much time at your stops and will have to be continually driving if the "plan" is to see the entire country in that time. Have fun!

C

Costa

Yo're right...let me clarify

Not the whole country. The plan is SD, Santiago and the PP/Sosua areas. OK for a first trip?

S

Sofy's B&B

Re: Yo're right...let me clarify

As mentioned, you have to plan your route because the DR is not so small... I would recommend making your way to the Samana Peninsula from S.D...and then up to Sosua/Puerto Plata.... Should you do so, you can always check with us here.... Whatever you decide, have a great trip.

M

Mary Kohn

The itinerary (long)

We arrived in SD and stayed the night at the Hispaniola. Had a great dinner at the restaurant, and great breakfast buffet (included) in the morning.
Then we took the Metro to POP and stayed at Sofy's B&B for several days.
We took a lot of day trips, one to Santiago where we were met by a great friend and fellow DR1 poster who has lived there forever! We had a great tour of the cigar factory in Tamboril, a great sancocho lunch, fantastic mangos, and a nostalgic trip around the city.
We met a Dominican citizen at Sofy's and he took us for the day to the Brugal Rum Factory, La Isabella, and parts in-between. We had a great lunch at a roadside restaurant. On the way back to Sofy's, we shared the road with a couple of herds of cows, one which had no apparant herder. We ended the tour at a great place on the Malecon (boardwalk). Hint, order the large Presidente, it's the better value.
By guagua, we went to Sosua where everything is great! Starting with the beach, and ending in the water. There is shopping. Our return trip was by cab. The posted price is $RD300.00 which is about $US31.00 it's about 20 min. to 1/2 hr.
We spent our evenings in the POP area. Very relaxing, low stress.
We returned to SD on the last evening by Metro bus which makes a stop in Santiago. Our friend met us to 'tell' us we had left our keys at Sofy's. The folks at Sofy's got them on the next bus, and that night, they arrived at the Metro station so we could get back in our house when we got home.
My opinion is to leave the driving to the Dominicans. But that's my opinion.
The cab drivers were all great. Every one of them had something to share if you understood Spanish, which you do. We met one who spoke great English, had a degree in computers and had worked in this field, but made more driving a cab or guagua for tourists. (He had both).
Our last night was again at the Hispaniola, great dinner, etc.
Then it was off to the airport for our return flight.
Our 14 year old son enjoyed himself. Couldn't get him out of the water at Sosua. The wild life, chickens, geckos, etc. interested him. And of course, his first taste of great beer (Presidente) will always be appreciated. He even started to understand some Spanish.
So, sorry for the length. Your itinerary is very doable. In a car and on your own, you will be able to pack much more in to your schedule.
They drive on the right, and on the other side of the street if need be. Driving seems like it's all about keeping moving. The horn is used to let slow moving vehicles or pedestrians or cows know that you're coming through. The horn is also used to let pedestrians know that your vehicle is available (if you're a motoconcha or guagua), and unless I'm totally wrong, to say hi to a chica...
You'll find yourself dropping your s's in record time. :)
Enjoy.
Please tell us your adventures when you return.

M

Matt

Re: Yo're right...Hey Costa

Hey Costa: The drive from Samana to Sosua is great. All paved roads and in preety good conditions. You will love this place. If you have time, go over the mountains to Las Terrenas. A beautiful little town. I visited your Cuban web site. I was curious. I read some posts from Cuban visitors that apparently whent to a DIfferent Cuba that I visited. All I saw there was EXTREME poverty, whores all over the place( cheap too). Police at every street corner, the people talk to you but look around to see if anyone is listening to the conversation. Stores in Havana where "cubans" are not allowed to enter. I thought of posting on your message board but I figured I'd let it go. Anyway, you will love DR. To me, it's like a little bit of heaven on earth. Good luck and DON'T DRIVE AT NIGHT... Matt

M

Marc

Here's a full week for you!

My wife and I toured around like this when we first moved here.

First off, rent a 4WD with a hard top. Some of the coolest things to see are not on paved roads, and even the paved roads in some areas are sketchy ;) Rag tops are fun, but again, when you have to park your vehicle with your packs/bags in it and walk to a waterfall etc....you will prefer a hard top. Plus you will likely have A/C with a hard top!

SD no more than two days, we had our fill after one day, but it will depend on what you are interested in doing on your vacation. We prefer scenery and nature to crowded city streets. The colonial area, however, is fantastic to see.

Rent the 4x4.

First stop: Constanza (Near La Vega) and the national park with a waterfall called Salto de Agua Blanca. Fantastic. Then take the mountain road to Jarabacoa. There are more waterfalls there to go see. There is also a nice hotel that we stayed at called Pina Dorada. The views along the mountain road are stunning. I don't think they get a lot of tourists driving around here either as we were not asked for money by any of the children that we stopped to photograph. Fields of berries, garlic, cabbage, you name it....are all around, and it is breathtaking.

Santiago - not much to see here. Drive thru please! (There is a McDonalds though, last one on your way north.)

Puerto Plata - not much to see here either. A fort along the Malecon, and a Teleferico (cable car) that will take you to the top of the mountain.

Sosua - Nice little town (we live here), one half (Los Charamicos) is more the local Dominicans, and the other (El Batey) geared for the tourists with little pubs, restaurants, shops... Really great place to hang out, and a lot of expats are here.

Cabarete - Really cool if you are into windsurfing, kite boarding, boogie boarding...etc. A happening town with lots of night life and cool restaurants on the beach.

Now you have to decide if you want to hang out and do some guided tours, hang out and do nothing, or drive down the coast to Samana.

There are tons of guided tours you can buy from the PP/Sosua/Cabarete area, and most are very good. They are reasonably priced, and you get to see some pretty cool things...with a bunch of other tourists...:) There are also a lot of "locals" activities going on in the area (PP/Sosua). From basketball games, ball games..to discos and nightlife.

Samana is the most beautiful part of the island that we have visited. It is lush, and relatively undeveloped. It is a 4hr drive from Sosua to Las Galeras. Along the way there are hundreds of cool places to see, and places to stop for food/beer/chats with locals. Las Galeras is quiet, has nice small hotels, and beautiful beaches.

Obviously if you see all of that in one week, you will only be seeing it through your windshield! Hope that gives you some ideas of things to see, and things to do in your week. I am sure you will love the country as much as we do.

marc

M

Marc

Driving - Good Call!

I love your comments on driving, especially about the horn honking! The only time they don't honk their horns seems to be when they are parked and not physically inside their car! And I am positive that they don't know what right/left are. I love the cars you get driving down the wrong side of the road with no lights at night because they are going to turn up ahead....ouch!

marc

K

kam

When are you going to DR Costa? I'm going next Tuesday. Very Excited for this is my first time. I've wanted to go for some time now. I'm not the resort-type of travel either. I'm flying in to SD but hoping to travel through the east coast. Take care.

M

Marc

Unless you plan on staying at one of the five star hotels at Bavaro, I don't think you will enjoy the East Coast. This area is geared towards tourists looking for 5* resorts on gorgeous beaches.
my two cents
m

P

Phyllis

I've rented a car/jeep several times and drove all over the DR (mainly in the Puerto Plata area). YES, some drivers can be alittle crazy, but if you are careful, have insurance and obey the law you should have NO problems. Get out there and explore what this beautiful country has to offer!