Motorbike License, Insurance etc.

DickieLee

May 16, 2012
Hello all,
once again I've had a search and found some related posts but not the answers I need so any help with the following questions will be appreciated.

I have a full UK driving license, which allows me to drive a car but does not currently have a motorbike entitlement. Will I be able to ride a bike legally in the DR on this license ?.
If the answer to the above is no, would it change if I do a CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) before I come will this allow me which in the UK would allow me to ride a bike for 2 years, make any difference to the answer ?

Once I've bought a motorbike how do I get tax and insurance and is there anything else I need to be aware of (excluding helmet law, as I will bring one with me) ?

I'll be based near Sosua for some geographic reference on where I may need to go for things.

Thanks

Rich

trucker

Mar 20, 2011
On the north side of the DR no one has a license to drive a motorcycle. You can buy a helmet here but most are cheap and not DOT certified. They are changing the laws on this, but I haven't heard when. Most people don't use a helmet but the cops will give you a hard time in the larger towns. If you buy a new bike the seller will get the title for you and the plates. If you buy a used bike, get with someone that knows the system. Many owner either don't have a matricula or have never changed the old one into their name. Can get very complicated buying used.
Insurance is easy. Just go to insurance company and pay 705 pesos for one year. You need your passport for this. Just one word of advice. Put a copy of the title (matricula), copy of passport, copy of insurance in the plastic pouch on the bike then if stopped, not a problem. Get with other gringos before buying and driving. Then you will know all about it before you buy. Good Luck.

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
Hello all,
once again I've had a search and found some related posts but not the answers I need so any help with the following questions will be appreciated.

I have a full UK driving license, which allows me to drive a car but does not currently have a motorbike entitlement. Will I be able to ride a bike legally in the DR on this license ?.
If the answer to the above is no, would it change if I do a CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) before I come will this allow me which in the UK would allow me to ride a bike for 2 years, make any difference to the answer ?

Once I've bought a motorbike how do I get tax and insurance and is there anything else I need to be aware of (excluding helmet law, as I will bring one with me) ?

I'll be based near Sosua for some geographic reference on where I may need to go for things.

Thanks

Rich

Sorry. I just had to reply to this.

Dickie Lee, I am not trying to be disrespectful, but have you ever been to the North coast (Sosua) area. You seem very naive about the way things are done here. Training to drive a moto??? If you look around, driving a moto here is like a chinese fire drill on 2 wheels...(at night, with no headlight, no tailight, no brakelight, no muffler, and no training to be sure). I can't speak to the legalities of license and title requirements, but very few motos have a license plate here, so I would not expect many to have insurance, but as a gringo you may want to buy some.

If you have not driven here before, be very careful. It is unlike anything you have probably experienced, but after a while it will start to make sense and you can do it and enjoy it once you are "acclimated".

bob

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Be aware that what you think of as "insurance" where you come from isn't the same "insurance" as here in the DR...

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Insurance is easy. Just go to insurance company and pay 705 pesos for one year. .

That sounds expensive. Mine cost me 300 pesos and seems to satisfy the police if they stop you. I bought it at the local repair place in Cabarete. Bear in mind that if you have an accident it WILL be your fault, whatever happens, and if a Dominican is involved you will end up paying out of your pocket.

If you buy a used bike make sure you get the Matricula (reg. document) with it because it can be a nightmare to obtain if you don't, even if you buy from a reputable dealer.