Fastest Home Internet

Reasonable Man

Dec 23, 2011
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a question regarding High-Speed Internet in DR. When I'm usually in the country I run one of those Orange Flybox internet plans, that I borrow from a friend. It's the cheapest one Orange offers, about $900 pesos a month. It's fine for my basic needs such as checking email, getting updates on sport scores. I want to upgrade to something a bit faster for this summer. I will be in Santo Domingo for 2 months, a lot of my favorite shows back home will be starting new seasons this summer, so instead of missing out, and having to catch up when I get back home, I just wanted to watch it on the internet, plus for those stay at home type of days, a little Netflix wouldn't be so bad.

I'm basically looking for something below $100 dollars a month, that would be fast enough to let me stream Netflix without having to leave it buffering for hours on end. I know sometimes in a certain part of the city, that you're in, it's slower than others. I will be in Santo Domingo Este, near the Sirena of San Isidro if that helps figuring out the coverage situation.

I know I could have probably just used the search feature, but I honestly didn't feel like looking through dozens of old threads. I also don't have a preference if it's Pre-Pago, or Post-Pago. Since I'm only going to be there for 2 months this summer, it'd be easier in the long term not to have to sign up for any contracts, but I'm not against it.

Thanks!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Post pago will be dificult, while these kind of contracts are for 12 or even 18 months. I have a plan of Claro, below 100 dollars (cable, phone and Internet for 80 dollars) and lets me watch Netflix without any problem (6MB plan), but that's post Pago.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
has anybody here "actually" used the Wind system for downloading streaming video's? does it work?
I'm currently on a Claro landline DSL that actually gets 3Mb/s downloads but it's been a long term contract at RD$ 2765 / month and has it's up's and down's quite frequently - but I can usually download stream the US netflix or AmazonPrime and the download keep's ahead of the video player.
BUT
having a mobile device like the Wind 4G or 4ALL sounds interesting and mobile....guess it just matters where you are in their 4G zone. Would love to hear someones first hand experience with this service vs DSL.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Get the "Large" Plan from Orange for your Flybox, and then pay an extra 400rd$ to double your download quota. That will give you a 40GB quota of monthly download, with speed up to 7.2MB/s. It will cost you about 2200rd$/month. It is really good, this is what I have, I never run out of high speed anymore.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have an Orange stick that I use for a backup if I have any problems with Claro landline. Yes, it says 7.2 speed, but I never got much over 1 M down with it. I have a small program that is always on top that shows actual speeds all the time so I am sure of this.

Maybe the flybox is better, but I would not bet on this. Also a lot depends on the signal you are receiving. If you are close to a tower you will get better speed.

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
As of the 7.2 megs, I usually get speeds anywhere from 3.6 to 6.5 megs... Not bad for Las Terrenas ;-)

Feb 7, 2007
Get the "Large" Plan from Orange for your Flybox, and then pay an extra 400rd$ to double your download quota. That will give you a 40GB quota of monthly download, with speed up to 7.2MB/s. It will cost you about 2200rd$/month. It is really good, this is what I have, I never run out of high speed anymore.

You cannot get Flybox on Prepaid.

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
You cannot get Flybox on Prepaid.
The idea is to get a good plan, and Orange recently issued new prices, and new plans. See them here:
internet Orange - planes, precios y beneficios
You get the One called "Large", that gives you a monthly allowance of 20GB. Then you pay an extra 400rd$ to double that, in order to get 40GB.

This is what I have it's great! And it costs me about 2200rd$ per month.

(That said, you can also get a prepaid Flybox if you buy it, and pay as you go. It's good for people coming on & off to the DR)

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
WIND 4G can be hacked pretty easily to get 10mbps speeds while only paying for the 3mbps :cheeky:

Plus they have no data cap. I love it.

Feb 7, 2007
The idea is to get a good plan, and Orange recently issued new prices, and new plans. See them here:
internet Orange - planes, precios y beneficios
You get the One called "Large", that gives you a monthly allowance of 20GB. Then you pay an extra 400rd$ to double that, in order to get 40GB.

This is what I have it's great! And it costs me about 2200rd$ per month.

(That said, you can also get a prepaid Flybox if you buy it, and pay as you go. It's good for people coming on & off to the DR)

This is perfectly fine, but the plans you write about ARE only on postpaid basis. You cannot get them on prepaid basis. On prepaid, you get 1 GB per day on prepaid stick and it costs 100 pesos per day with taxes included.

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
This is perfectly fine, but the plans you write about ARE only on postpaid basis. You cannot get them on prepaid basis. On prepaid, you get 1 GB per day on prepaid stick and it costs 100 pesos per day with taxes included.
Indeed, a monthly plan is obviously not available "per day" :)
As of me, I have budgeted my needs as around 1GB/day anyway, so I would not mind recommend someone in need of a pre-paid Internet the Orange Flybox, that you can buy, and then just recharge, as mentioned below:

"Es sin compromisos
Con Internet Orange prepago, tienes Internet sin ning?n tipo de contrato y sin el compromiso de tener un pago mensual.
Si necesitas acceso al Internet de manera ocasional, Internet Orange prepago es es tu mejor opci?n. Te ofrecemos un SIM con el servicio pre-activado y la opci?n de navegaci?n por 1 d?a o por 7 d?as. Perfecto para tu Tablet de mano, un dispositivo adicional o hasta para un amigo o familiar que venga de vacaciones."

As of Wind Telecom, it is not an option for us in Las Terrenas. We have Claro, Viva and Orange... BTW, Viva seems to improve their offer, they give you "unlimited" download quota now. I would like to see if it's worth it, but it only goes half the speed of the Orange deal...

As far as I know, the Claro Banda Ancha service is far behind... Maybe they'll come up with something soon (???)