Wedding Traditions

M

Meg

We have a relative who is planning to get married in Rio San Juan, Dominican Republic and we are wanting to get a wedding shower gift which would be in keeping with any customs or traditions for people from that area of the world. Do you have any suggestions?

N

Natasha

Is your relative Dominican or Canadian? Is there a shower theme or is it just personal? If the shower is personal then the tradition is to give the bride lingerie, nice lotions/perfumes, etc. People are really creative these days; I even received a gift certificate for spa treatments at Nemacolin Woodlands for my shower in Pittsburgh three years ago. I also had a shower in the DR which had more of a "Dominican things for my new home" theme. I received Dominican made pottery, one of those faceless dolls (a bride), Dominican coffee, a beautiful embroidered table cloth, art work, tons of kitchen items (mahogany serving spoons, bowls and trays) and Dominican cookbooks. If your relative is Dominican, she will love to receive anything from abroad too. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Natasha