Looking for a place to live in Santiago]

RGM

Jun 5, 2010
Hello , been on this site for a number of years, but have never posted here...only read the posts.....I am looking for a place in Santiago, currently living in Bavaro....i must have 24/7 electricity it can never ever go out....would like to either rent a house long term or apartment....if it;s a house would like a pool....yes i love a pool....not really interested in expensive house.....i have to live on a budget......maybe a 3 bedroom 2 1/2 bath house....somewhere nice as i do not speak the language ....i speak english...my girl speaks both spanish and english...but i want somewhere save.....as we have a 6 year old little girl.....any help will be appreciated thanks in adavnce....

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
RGM,

Welcome to DR1!

First, there are only a few places in the country with "guaranteed" 24/7 electricity, and they're not inexpensive. Most people get around this with an inverter system, which is basically a system of car-type batteries that provide backup power when the local service goes out.

Costs vary, depending on your needs, but if the places you're looking at don't already have one (very likely they won't), then you're looking at an investment of $400-$1000.

My advice is twofold: 1) check with Hillbilly, he's sort of the "Dean of DR1" and knows Santiago very well. I think he also has units that he occasionally rents; and 2) TAKE YOUR TIME. Get out there, familiarize yourself with the area, then start looking for something permanent.

Good luck.

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
Yeah the guaranteed 24/7 isn't ever "guaranteed"... I am moving near Santiago, into a brand new apartment building. The apartments are cute. As I was checking out the apartment, the lights went out. I said to him, and the lights? How long do they stay out for? He said oh we have 24/7. I said, oh didn't the lights just go out? He said Oh that doesn't happen often.. Maybe for a 1/2 hour a day... Hrmm.. That's ok 1/2 hour is a LOT better than other areas I've been, but I will still bring my inverter with me :)

Sorry I know nothing about Santiago. I'm moving March that way. Good luck! Get out and visit and see what's available. I did, and came across a really cute new place. I like new :)

Jen

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Hello , been on this site for a number of years, but have never posted here...only read the posts.....I am looking for a place in Santiago, currently living in Bavaro....i must have 24/7 electricity it can never ever go out....would like to either rent a house long term or apartment....if it;s a house would like a pool....yes i love a pool....not really interested in expensive house.....i have to live on a budget......maybe a 3 bedroom 2 1/2 bath house....somewhere nice as i do not speak the language ....i speak english...my girl speaks both spanish and english...but i want somewhere save.....as we have a 6 year old little girl.....any help will be appreciated thanks in adavnce....

The "Impossible" Dream.

Nov 25, 2008
24/7 Electricity, only if you install the power generator, or hook up your own inverter. Pool? then your looking at the Cerros of Gurabo or La Esmeralda, price is going to run over 1200US.

May 12, 2005
Welcome to DR1. Santiago is a very nice city. Take your time finding the right place to live for you. Will you need access to public transit or do you have your own car? That will have an impact upon where you will live.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are some units renting now, no pool, but you can to Amaprosan. Inverter is a must.
Look in DR Rentals. There is one (P-288) that is fully furnished but no pool. Not even in the Cerros are there pools. You want pools? the Motels have jacuzzis...the Hotel Gran Almirante has a pool so does the Matum and the Courtyard and Amaprosan. (So does the Centro Espa?ol but you won't get in there right now except as a guest) So forget a pool.

Places with generators cause your modem to have to reset so you need a UPS more than an inverter...

Let me know, there are unfurnished place that are quite nice that are renting brand new now..a friend just got one. He wa raving about the view and the two balconies...the plastic was still on everything..

HB