Desperatly Seeking a Good Haircut

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
My "stylist" has left the DR, leaving behind a pack of worshiping gringos in a desperate state. She was really good. We are in search mode big time! Anywhere on the north coast will due. No road to far to travel. This is serious business as one can never underestimate the vanity of single middle aged men ! Thanks in advance K

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Andreas at House of Beauty in Sosua. 809 571 2597. None better than him in my opinion.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My "stylist" has left the DR, leaving behind a pack of worshiping gringos in a desperate state. She was really good. We are in search mode big time! Anywhere on the north coast will due. No road to far to travel. This is serious business as one can never underestimate the vanity of single middle aged men ! Thanks in advance K

We 're not talking about Rachel are we ??

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
We too are part of the searchers for a good hairstylist, that doesn't make you remortgage the house!!! Daniella was simply the best I have ever had both for cuts and colours..... I have had three different colours since she left, and believe me when I say I have not been a happy camper either with the outcome or the cost!!! Never mind the cut!
Surely someone knows someone who knows someone, who is great!!!! I have been to Andreas... and while his work is fine, the prices are prohibitive again!!! We are not in NYC people!! Reasonable is fine... but exploiting prices because we are gringa/gringos doesn't sit well with me... just my opinion...

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Suzanne, Daniella's replacement, did a very good job on my hair. Would recommend her and would use her again. She's in Las Canas in same location as Daniella was.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We too are part of the searchers for a good hairstylist, that doesn't make you remortgage the house!!! Daniella was simply the best I have ever had both for cuts and colours..... I have had three different colours since she left, and believe me when I say I have not been a happy camper either with the outcome or the cost!!! Never mind the cut!
Surely someone knows someone who knows someone, who is great!!!! I have been to Andreas... and while his work is fine, the prices are prohibitive again!!! We are not in NYC people!! Reasonable is fine... but exploiting prices because we are gringa/gringos doesn't sit well with me... just my opinion...

Andreas has a 'sliding' scale, we have found.

Getting a good local reference helps....

My wife thinks he is 'OK' ... at best.
Sort of the best of the worst.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Another vote for Suzanne at Las Canas. I have had great hair cuts. She takes appointments and is very punctual. She listened to what I wanted and delivered (that is not that common). I think she is as good as Daniela.

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
Yes, Rachel is her name. She worked at Susana's Spa. Actually, I have found out she has not left the island, she just left Cabrera. I used to have her cell phone # but lost it. The people at the spa won't give me her number even though I have been frequenting their spa and sending countless referrals there for years. Really ****es me off. I won't be sending my clients there anytime soon. May I ask- where is Las Canas ? K

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
K..... start looking for her.... she told me to call her if I wanted my haircut

Send out the posse.... we need to find her

pinyon

Jan 17, 2012
Ana at Salon Ana in Cabarete. 809-868-6647
She came highly recommended to me by alot of people. She did a great job on my husbands hair and a great cut and color on mine. I am very critical about my hair.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Las Canas is in La Mulata, just past the International School, the colmado, and then a left turn to the end, Las Canas is on your right. The salon is in the lobby on the left, last door.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
What kind of a man gets his hair cut by a woman? :)

/sarcasm

*AZB will like this one*

On topic- another reference for Ana at Salon Ana, really nice lady and my wife says she's great at what she does.. I personally, just go to men's barbershops and describe what I want with varied success.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I also recommend Ana at Salon Ana near the chinese restaurant, nice lady, nice family, and great stylist. *wife's words*

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
Sounds like a good opportunity for some good hairstylist to set up shop on the North Coast. Maybe La Catalina has some open space?

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
What kind of a man gets his hair cut by a woman? :)

/sarcasm

*AZB will like this one*

On topic- another reference for Ana at Salon Ana, really nice lady and my wife says she's great at what she does.. I personally, just go to men's barbershops and describe what I want with varied success.

The very best haircut I ever received was by a woman in Houston. I loved it and people would make nice comments to me. I no longer get haircuts, as I feel they are unnatural.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Ana"s cost was also more than reasonable for her skilled services.

Just out of curiosity, what does a haircut & color cost in DR? I'm wondering how it compares to US prices.

After all these decades, a nail tech opened up across from our DR house and she came over to do a pedicure. I was shocked at the low price - 150 pesos for French - used all brand-name products that I recognized. In NJ it's $18-20 plus an extra $3-5 if you want French Manicure.

Is that a typical DR pedicure price, or did I get the bargain of my life? Too bad she doesn't do cuts and color :)

pinyon

Jan 17, 2012
My cut and color cost $60. She gave me a brand new style and put ALOT of foils in.....those two indicate alot of work to me. My husband's cut was $15. I have no idea what is costs from other stylists here in the DR.

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
Thanks to all for the input. If we can't round up Rachel soon I'll be heading to one of the previously mentioned stylists. The aging pseudo- hippie look I am slowly acquiring just doesn't cut it for me !! K