depositing US 2 dollar bills

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
Has anyone had trouble trying to deposit them into a US dollar account here?

This morning BanReservas refused to deposit US 2 dollar bills (into my dollar account) unless I deposited them in bundles of 100. I know they are rare but they are legal tender in the US. The manager adamantly refused to accept them but couldn't show me or direct me to any bank documentation verifying this "rule".

I guess it was a case of "I don't know what that is so I'll make up a rule so I don't have to deal with it"... pffffffff :angry:

May 29, 2006
I've seen maybe three two dollar bills in the last ten years. When they come out they get snatched up by collectors and cashiers don't have a space for them in their drawers. Then there is this urban legend:

TACO BELL AND THE $2 BILL

On my way home from the second job I've taken for the extra holiday ca$h I need, I stopped at Taco Bell for a quick bite to eat. In my wallet is a $50 bill and a $2 bill. That is all of the cash I have on my person. I figure that with a $2 bill, I can get something to eat and not have to worry about people getting upset with me.
ME: "Hi, I'd like one seven layer burrito please, to go."
IT: "Is that it?"
ME: "Yep."
IT: "That'll be $1.04, eat here?"
ME: "No, it's to *go*." [I hate effort duplication.]
At his point I open my billfold and hand him the $2 bill. He looks at it kind of funny and
IT: "Uh, hang on a sec, I'll be right back."
He goes to talk to his manager, who is still within earshot. The following conversation occurs between the two of them.
IT: "Hey, you ever see a $2 bill?"
MG: "No. A what?"
IT: "A $2 bill. This guy just gave it to me."
MG: "Ask for something else, THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A $2 BILL."
IT: IT: "Yeah, thought so."
He comes back to me and says
IT: "We don't take these. Do you have anything else?"
ME: "Just this fifty. You don't take $2 bills? Why?"
IT: "I don't know."
ME: "See here where it says legal tender?"
IT: "Yeah."
ME: "So, shouldn't you take it?"
IT: "Well, hang on a sec."
He goes back to his manager who is watching me like I'm going to shoplift, and
IT: "He says I have to take it."
MG: "Doesn't he have anything else?"
IT: "Yeah, a fifty. I'll get it and you can open the safe and get change."
MG: "I'M NOT OPENING THE SAFE WITH HIM IN HERE."
IT: "What should I do?"
MG: "Tell him to come back later when he has REAL money."
IT: "I can't tell him that, you tell him."
MG: "Just tell him."
IT: "No way, this is weird, I'm going in back."
The manager approaches me and says
MG: "Sorry, we don't take big bills this time of night." [it was 8pm and this particular Taco Bell is in a well lighted indoor mall with 100 other stores.]
ME: "Well, here's a two."
MG: "We don't take those either."
ME: "Why the hell not?"
MG: "I think you know why."
ME: "No really, tell me, why?"
MG: "Please leave before I call mall security."
ME: "Excuse me?"
MG: "Please leave before I call mall security."
ME: "What the hell for?"
MG: "Please, sir."
ME: "Uh, go ahead, call them."
MG: "Would you please just leave?"
ME: "No."
MG: "Fine, have it your way then."
ME: "No, that's Burger King, isn't it?"
At this point he BACKS away from me and calls mall security on the phone around the corner. I have two people STARING at me from the dining area, and I begin laughing out loud, just for effect. A few minutes later this 45 year oldish guy comes in and says [at the other end of counter, in a whisper]
SG: "Yeah, Mike, what's up?"
MG: "This guy is trying to give me some [pause] funny money."
SG: "Really? What?"
MG: "Get this, a two dollar bill."
SG: "Why would a guy fake a $2 bill?" [incredulous]
MG: "I don't know? He's kinda weird. Says the only other thing he has is a fifty."
SG: "So, the fifty's fake?"
MG: "NO, the $2 is."
SG: "Why would he fake a $2 bill?"
MG: "I don't know. Can you talk to him, and get him out of here?"
SG: "Yeah..."
Security guard walks over to me and says
SG: "Mike here tells me you have some fake bills you're trying to use."
ME: "Uh, no."
SG: "Lemme see 'em."
ME: "Why?"
SG: "Do you want me to get the cops in here?"
At this point I was ready to say, "SURE, PLEASE," but I wanted to eat, so I said
ME: "I'm just trying to buy a burrito and pay for it with this $2 bill."
I put the bill up near his face, and he flinches like I was taking a swing at him. He takes the bill, turns it over a few times in his hands, and says
SG: "Mike, what's wrong with this bill?"
MG: "It's fake."
SG: "It doesn't look fake to me."
MG: "But it's a **$2** bill."
SG: "Yeah?"
MG: "Well, there's no such thing, is there?"
The security guard and I both looked at him like he was an idiot, and it dawned on the guy that he had no clue.

My burrito was free and he threw in a small drink and those cinnamon things, too. Makes me want to get a whole stack of $2 bills just to see what happens when I try to buy stuff. If I got the right group of people, I could probably end up in jail. At least you get free food.

===

Could have been worse I suppose. I still can't get over the idea that Canadians have those $2 coins..

Dec 26, 2011
There was such a hoax of fake RD$2000 bills that many places stopped taking them. Figure you buy a coke, pay with a fake $2000 and that poor sap is outta some serious change. I'm careful about RD$2000 myself.

I'm not referring to colmados. I mean businesses with the means to detect counterfeit bills.

May 12, 2005
There was such a hoax of fake RD$2000 bills that many places stopped taking them. Figure you buy a coke, pay with a fake $2000 and that poor sap is outta some serious change. I'm careful about RD$2000 myself.

Ha, not if you get a handful of Halls cough drops as change.

Oct 11, 2010
See how these idiots deal with one dollar U.S. coins. I'm not talking about silver dollars just regular U.S. one dollar coins which are used everywhere in the United States. At first I thought it was funny, but actually it's tragic.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
See how these idiots deal with one dollar U.S. coins. I'm not talking about silver dollars just regular U.S. one dollar coins which are used everywhere in the United States. At first I thought it was funny, but actually it's tragic.

I think you mean the gold 1$ coins? Even in the U.S. a lot of places don't accept them.

Big Dan

Feb 14, 2009

That's a ridiculous assertion. I haven't seen a U.S. dollar coin in years. They aren't used at all.

I also haven't seen a $2 bill in years.

Jan 9, 2004
That's a ridiculous assertion. I haven't seen a U.S. dollar coin in years. They aren't used at all.

Actually, its not a ridiculous assertion. The US Mint issued "gold" colored dollars for general circulation until early 2012.....when they did not catch on with the general public, the US mint went back to offering them to collectors only and not for general circulation.

www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/$1coin/

Same for the $2 bill. They have tried mightily to reintroduce the deuce....but the general public has refused to accept/use them.

Lots of different denominations have been introduced over the years.....two cent piece, 3 cent (nickel), 3 cent (silver), twenty cent pieces, etc. Somebody's brilliant idea...that never caught on.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

FYI - One dollar coins are exclusively given as change out of LIRR/MNRR/ and Subway machines.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

i pliz you! most of the exchange places all over the world (including banks) do not accept any coins. i think if you showed up with a bag of dollar coins anywhere outside america you'd be directed to the central bank. at best.

May 12, 2005
FYI - One dollar coins are exclusively given as change out of LIRR/MNRR/ and Subway machines.

This is the coin and it is in circulation. It is commonly referred to as the Sacagawea Dollar.

220px-Sacagawea_dollar_obverse.png

You also get them as change from the luggage cart rental machine at JFK.

Jan 9, 2004
This is the coin and it is in circulation. It is commonly referred to as the Sacagawea Dollar.

220px-Sacagawea_dollar_obverse.png

You also get them as change from the luggage cart rental machine at JFK.

.....And those postal vending machines dispensing stamps. Never forget putting in a twenty dollar bill to get a book of stamps. I was shocked as the $1 dollar coins came spitting out for change....sort of like a slot machine payoff.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Big Dan

Feb 14, 2009
Actually, its not a ridiculous assertion. The US Mint issued "gold" colored dollars for general circulation until early 2012.....when they did not catch on with the general public, the US mint went back to offering them to collectors only and not for general circulation.

www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/$1coin/

Same for the $2 bill. They have tried mightily to reintroduce the deuce....but the general public has refused to accept/use them.

Lots of different denominations have been introduced over the years.....two cent piece, 3 cent (nickel), 3 cent (silver), twenty cent pieces, etc. Somebody's brilliant idea...that never caught on.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I'll stand by what I said. The assertion was that they were widely used. Your own assertion matches mine. Neither a $1 dollar coin nor a $2 dollar bill is widely used in America. Period.